Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-03-2015, 15:36   #196

Re: How do you deal with a bad captain?

How about this?

Old 24-03-2015, 16:10   #197

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
How do you deal with a bad captain?

If you didn't feel comfortable with his skill and safety practices then you didn't jump ship so much as move to alleviate safety concerns that you had.

I actually have no opinion either way about the guy from what you described and suspect a fair number at folks may disapprove, but my attitude would always be to follow my gut to bail out at an opportune port.

Adelie
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2015, 19:29   #198

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post
Of course that's true and it's clear what you mean to all of those who have the necessary experience to understand the difference between bad and good crew, but if you have no experience being crew of any kind, or very limited experience being crew, how are you supposed to know enough to not be bad crew? A good captain would naturally at least attempt to mold them into a good crew. In this case, he doesn't seem to have completely succeeded, but since the OP did ask the question and seems genuinely interested, maybe there's hope for both.
Yeah, that's one point I wanted to make. A good captain would attempt to keep up an understanding of what they were doing. I think that's what they signed on for. "You're not helming the give way boat. If you give way it would confuse the on coming boat. Hold the course."

It's those ex military draftee officers from the Korean era who shout orders, expecting that to cause immediate reaction.
Today's people don't react to immediate need.
My experience with a shouting captain was to see he wanted immediate reaction. His pal didn't know how to rig the spinnaker boom, and was fumbling with it. Shouting relieved capt's anxiety, but shook up the sailor who thought his skipper course prepped him and shook at his anxiety over the need to prove he didn't fail, which he was doing right in front of everybody.
The world is a game of marbles when, with age you have prospective to see everybody is loosing their marbles, one at a time..
Steve1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2015, 22:44   #199

Not that I agree with the Bligh way ( I am not a shouter, but I know what is right)....Steve`s experience echos mine in a strange kind of way when he talks about "Today's people don't react to immediate need."
As I was saying before..kids today.
They have little to no appreciation for any but themselves. Sweeping generalization ? Yes, just my experience with dozens of them from all backgrounds, educational levels, nationalities.
ti325v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2015, 04:07   #200

Boat: Privilege 435

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoQuarter79 View Post
We did meet this guy and kinda got to know him months before we crewed for him. We had just never sailed with him before this. A lot changed from land to sea.

We were willing to take any opportunity to get a chance to crew. I would say this still stands true. We were in WV in February, and we had the option to go to FL and sail. Of course we jumped on that. We are in the same situation now; stranded in WV, trying to get back to our own boat. But should any crew opportunity arise, we will try to get onboard.
First of all NoQuarter, I would give you the benefit of the doubt, give you a chance and take you on as crew. However, I would discuss a trial period of a week and then sit down with you and discuss how everybody involved feels about continuing the journey. As skipper I would also encourage you to speek up, if something is bothering you as I would do the same towards you (without yelling).

Let's be honest, it's all about emotions. It's not about sailing skills, it's simply about human nature. I have been crew and I have been skipper with mixed crews. Usually in almost every setup you are about ready to go home or feel the desire to be on your own after about 10 days. Best experience I had was cruising with my admiral, so when the cruise was over we both said, we could carry on forever. That was on a 38ft Bavaria.

In no circumstances could I imagine to crew on a 30ft boat for two months as you did NoQuarter. No effing way! I admire you for that, and if you felt uncomfortable, even more so. OK, you are supposedly much younger than me, but still. Either I would have found a way to deal with the situation (and the skipper) or I would have quit.

We don't know the other side of the story, but even though it would be very interesting to hear it, it doesn't matter one bit. NoQuarter felt uncomfortable, abused, whatever. Emotions. The skipper felt he did the right thing or he was stressed by the situation. Emotions. It's not about facts but only about emotions and human compatibility. Sitting on a 30ft boat you consistently invade the privacy of the other people on board. There is no escape.

So, NoQuarter, don't worry, enjoy sailing, enjoy life, be happy!
SwissMocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2015, 05:15   #201
Marine Service Provider

You could always go to the link below and share your stories so that we all can learn what to watch for. You can also read the stories already there for some fun!! Click either big blue button near the top.
Delivery Knowledge and Resources
chebba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2015, 07:20   #202
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Watkins 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
NoQ- this guy's home base isn't in Fort Lauderdale by any chance?? Was he unmarried with a couple of girlfriends in their 60's? I can't imagine he is still sailing though, he'd be close to 90 by now. Now that would be funny.
And no, he wasn't from FL, lol.
NoQuarter79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2015, 07:33   #203
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Watkins 27

Thanks to everybody that actually took time to give advice though. I think I have realized what we could have done differently, and things we can apply to our next trip. We greatly appreciate the information.
NoQuarter79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2015, 07:59   #204
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: How do you deal with a bad captain?

Stick him in a Locker..
turn the hose pipe on Him....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2015, 08:05   #205

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Stick him in a Locker..
turn the hose pipe on Him....
Him? Her?

Of course, you're referring to the offending crew member(s) aren't you?
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2015, 08:13   #206

Boat: Cape Dory 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
Him? Her?

Of course, you're referring to the offending crew member(s) aren't you?
Wrong, you have been so absolutely adamant and energetic in your pursuit of trying to fix the fault for this squarely on NoQuarter that I am actually beginning to wonder if you might not be the Captain in this story.
Old 25-03-2015, 08:29   #207
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

What concerns me the most, when asked what they learned the OP's can't really say a single sea based thing. (or is my biased making me miss something??) If you spend two months on a boat with an old cote and haven't learned anything...hmmm. I would say learning seamanship demands effort from both teacher and student.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2015, 08:42   #208
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: How do you deal with a bad captain?

And.. can we get away from this' Captain on a Pedestal' crap.. most (including me) are only as good as their crew make them..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2015, 08:44   #209

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldragbaggers View Post
Wrong, you have been so absolutely adamant and energetic in your pursuit of trying to fix the fault for this squarely on NoQuarter that I am actually beginning to wonder if you might not be the Captain in this story.
Nah.

But I'd give "NoQuarter" to 'er just like t uthers on mah long list 'o keel hauled, "off the boat NOW" rancid ex-crew scum!
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2015, 08:54   #210

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoQuarter79 View Post
Thanks to everybody that actually took time to give advice though. I think I have realized what we could have done differently, and things we can apply to our next trip. We greatly appreciate the information.
That's very nice and certainly helpful.

Would you be so kind as to share those with us? I think we'd all appreciate it.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
captain