Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2015, 12:23   #121
Registered User
 
Wrong's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,702
Re: How do you deal with a bad captain?

Trying to pull this conversation back to the facts.

What yelling occurred under what circumstances?

And what abuse of any kind is alleged to have occurred?

If I missed it as a matter of course because I was palpitating for the "feel" rather than the alleged facts, there's got to be someone - if it's not the OP - who can enlighten us.

Otherwise this whole exercise is no more than spittle tossed 'round in a vacuum.
__________________

__________________
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2015, 12:26   #122
Marine Service Provider
 
NoQuarter79's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: currently on Ocracoke Island, NC
Boat: Watkins 27
Posts: 110
Images: 1
Re: How do you deal with a bad captain?

He yelled basically the entire trip. He yelled every order at us, when there was no reason to do so. If it's loud, sure, you need to yell. When it's calm and you're just telling us to pull the line in or whatever, there's no reason to yell.
__________________

__________________
NoQuarter79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2015, 12:30   #123
Moderator
 
Seaworthy Lass's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2008
Boat: Aluminium cutter rigged sloop
Posts: 11,770
Re: How do you deal with a bad captain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
Now if seaworthy lass had mentioned that some salty old dog had bumped her on the dock and didn't say excuse me, the replies would have been totally different.
All the Salty Dogs I come across fling their coats over puddles for me .

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Damn right the 'Tone' is different..
You don't bad mouth 'Moderators' if you fancy hanging around a while..
That's the spirit .

SWL x
__________________
Our custom built cutter rigged sloop is for sale:
48' Aluminium Bluewater Cruiser For Sale
PRICE SLASHED


"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears or the sea." Isak Dinesen
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2015, 12:34   #124
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 2,845
Re: How do you deal with a bad captain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
Not only am I off my rocker but I am shaking my cane at all you young pups! Take that dag nabbit! Old captains of the world unite and refuse to teach any more sailing! I'm going to my union rep!

(then digging his toe in the sand a bit) Well, it's not like I have never been wrong...

Oh well, my boat still loves me
I still love you too!

Oh, just remembered, a long time ago we were in a thread about making a hand pump or fitness equipment based watermaker. I think I found something that could make it happen, I'll PM it to you later.
__________________
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2015, 12:50   #125
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: north carolina
Boat: command yachtsdouglas32
Posts: 3,113
Re: How do you deal with a bad captain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Newt, I too am one of your fans on CF, but I really think you're off your rocker on this one. There is no reason anyone should have to put up with abusive behaviour. And there is a clear difference between "salty banter" and being rude and obnoxious. A captain, or indeed any leader, can command without being a jerk. If they can't, that just makes them a bad captain. Unless you've signed up for the marines, no one should have to put up with someone being abusive.

And your example is telling. First off, it's not abusive to make an urgent command in the face of perceived and imminent danger (as you did). That's not being abusive. Secondly, despite all the Kraken tales to the contrary, we all know that the vast majority of time on a cruising boat is not spent in life-or-death, split second decision-making time. Most of the time there's no need to make instant "Just Do IT!" decisions. And I do find it amusing that in your example you say you didn't have time to explain the situation, when you just did so in one short sentence. I assume this means your crew were so green as to not understand this simple concept?

What most of you are waxing eloquently about are classic bullies. Or they are people who have no concept of effective leadership. Think about how much more you would learn from a good seaman who wasn't abusive?
"not understand this simple concept ?" Perhaps he had "the pucker factor going on" and thought it wise for everyone else to do the same without feeling them with fear or over caution..I could see not finding room for explanation at that time..
__________________
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2015, 12:54   #126
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: WY / Currently in Hayes VA on the Chesapeake
Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44
Posts: 794
Re: How do you deal with a bad captain?

Read posts: 75, 84, 87. Well written things to consider.

Consider that you may have given off negative vibes to the Capt. without noticing it. Both of my children when in their teenage and young adult lives certainly cranked me up a few times without realizing it.

I also have a large voice. When one of my son's friends was going to take some flight instruction from me I heard my Son tell him "Just because Dad is loud it doesn't mean he's yelling at you or mad. He just yells all the time."

Lastly I can't seem to get past the name you have chosen. "NoQuarter" even if chosen with your "tongue in cheek" keeps jumping out at me as someone who is not willing to cut other people much slack for differences of opinion.
__________________
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2015, 12:55   #127
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: north carolina
Boat: command yachtsdouglas32
Posts: 3,113
Re: How do you deal with a bad captain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoQuarter79 View Post
He yelled basically the entire trip. He yelled every order at us, when there was no reason to do so. If it's loud, sure, you need to yell. When it's calm and you're just telling us to pull the line in or whatever, there's no reason to yell.
WHY THE UNMITIGATED GALL OF THAT OLD COOT!! DAMN FOOL SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN YELLING!!..
__________________
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2015, 13:04   #128
Marine Service Provider
 
NoQuarter79's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: currently on Ocracoke Island, NC
Boat: Watkins 27
Posts: 110
Images: 1
Re: How do you deal with a bad captain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylat8750 View Post
Read posts: 75, 84, 87. Well written things to consider.

Consider that you may have given off negative vibes to the Capt. without noticing it. Both of my children when in their teenage and young adult lives certainly cranked me up a few times without realizing it.

I also have a large voice. When one of my son's friends was going to take some flight instruction from me I heard my Son tell him "Just because Dad is loud it doesn't mean he's yelling at you or mad. He just yells all the time."

Lastly I can't seem to get past the name you have chosen. "NoQuarter" even if chosen with your "tongue in cheek" keeps jumping out at me as someone who is not willing to cut other people much slack for differences of opinion.
We chose the name "No Quarter" for our boat. After reading the definition, which I got as "no mercy" we interpreted it our own way; that we were going to show no mercy to become successful and do whatever we have to do to make it in the sailing world. It's not about people, it's about overcoming our own struggles.

Like I said, under certain circumstances, I can understand yelling. But he wasn't just speaking loudly, he was demeaning about it.
__________________
NoQuarter79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2015, 13:12   #129
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 270
Re: How do you deal with a bad captain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
All the Salty Dogs I come across fling their coats over puddles for me . SWL x
While they're still in them.

Seriously, SWL, even you are not immune. I have seen the word "shrill" used in one of your threads, not that that's a code word or anything.

I think this young lady is taking a little more than her share of abuse. She'd get a lot more support if she complained that the captain wouldn't let her bring her guns on board.
__________________
bill352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2015, 13:19   #130
Moderator
 
Dockhead's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: [S]Hamble (Spring and Fall)[/S], Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Posts: 16,798
Re: How do you deal with a bad captain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill352 View Post
. . .
I think this young lady is taking a little more than her share of abuse. She'd get a lot more support if she complained that the captain wouldn't let her bring her guns on board.
This group is 97% captains and only 3% crew, probably. So the first instinct of anyone on here hearing about crew complaining about a captain is naturally going to be critical.

And that's great! Much, much more useful to her, to hear critical remarks, than remarks like "Oh God, how awful! You poor dear! What an awful, awful man!" Just the right crowd to ask such a question, if you ask me.
__________________
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2015, 13:31   #131
Moderator
 
Seaworthy Lass's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2008
Boat: Aluminium cutter rigged sloop
Posts: 11,770
Re: How do you deal with a bad captain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill352 View Post
Seriously, SWL, even you are not immune. I have seen the word "shrill" used in one of your threads, not that that's a code word or anything.
LOL, in my early days on CF while crying after reading one particularly harsh response, I was told by my better half that if I wanted to play with the boys I had to learn to take it not just on the chin, but below the belt .

Anyway, the gentleman who made the "shrill" comment and I have made our peace now . I can get a bit too insistent when nonsense is spouted in navigational threads and the "shrill" comment was not inappropriate and not undeserved .

SWL
__________________
Our custom built cutter rigged sloop is for sale:
48' Aluminium Bluewater Cruiser For Sale
PRICE SLASHED


"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears or the sea." Isak Dinesen
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2015, 13:35   #132
Registered User

Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 178
Re: How do you deal with a bad captain?

Yeah, well . . . um. Hmmmm
__________________
Steve1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2015, 13:41   #133
Registered User
 
BlueBuddha's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Wolverine Country
Boat: Standard company chair. 18 inches high.
Posts: 246
Re: How do you deal with a bad captain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
I haven't been around too long, but I have seen this phenomena before. This is how they treat newbies, especially if they appear to be sensitive and ask something that is based on opinion, like in this thread.





Now if seaworthy lass had mentioned that some salty old dog had bumped her on the dock and didn't say excuse me, the replies would have been totally different. Every single reply would have been some guy offering to kill the rude old bugger for being the scourge of the sailing community and making the entire boating world look like a bunch of hoodlums.



Now the denials will start flying, but the proof is all around. Simply look up any thread started by seaworthy lass (especially one asking for advice or an opinion) and then read all of the replies.



The difference in tone is dramatic. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, it's a very common occurrence on website forums. Human nature in the online environment, if you will. Most people don't even realize they do it, but I've observed this same thing pretty much everywhere. You observe and start to realize it's the reality of website politics, or group behavior in typed form.
thank you, thank you, thank you. This thread is sad.





Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________
BlueBuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2015, 13:41   #134
Registered User
 
Wrong's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,702
Re: How do you deal with a bad captain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoQuarter79 View Post
He yelled basically the entire trip. He yelled every order at us, when there was no reason to do so. If it's loud, sure, you need to yell. When it's calm and you're just telling us to pull the line in or whatever, there's no reason to yell.
He's old. HE'S DEAF!

Or,

Maybe like my Brother he has only an OUTDOOR voice.

Drives me absolutely up the wall.
__________________
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2015, 15:04   #135
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Australia East coast
Boat: Roberts EuroCat 2000 69 ft
Posts: 59
Re: How do you deal with a bad captain?

Sailing can be very stressful. An experienced Skipper should be able to handle the crew respectfully. Sadly , most of us don't have enough experience !
__________________

__________________
BobFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
captain

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Deal or no deal captainbri Monohull Sailboats 4 03-04-2014 23:40
Make a Deal-Get a Deal- Used Boat Gear lynnrgardner Commercial Posts 0 09-12-2013 11:42
Home Depot Plumbing fittings - just bad or really bad? neelie Plumbing Systems and Fixtures 34 11-11-2008 18:21
Maybe not a bad deal. Erik C Multihull Sailboats 29 19-03-2008 13:57


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:52.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.