Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > The Sailor's Confessional
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2012, 03:13   #1

Boat: Lagoon 440
How Did Your Plan Compare To Eventual Reality?

We all did it, in a quiet moment (or maybe not!), we sat on our first boat/yacht and made a promise to ourselves.

Was it to Never do this again?

Was it to Never go back to a life on land?

Was it on an inadequate boat that may or may not have matched your skills?

What were the words muttered.......................?

Cheers
Old 27-12-2012, 10:53   #2
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: How Did Your Plan Compare To Eventual Reality?

This is an old thread that went nowhere but maybe it can have a second life!

I haven't "went" yet.

But I still remember catching the dream, talking myself into it, and starting down the road of making it happen. This from someone who had never sailed at all when the idea took hold.

Along the the way had to overcome lots of fears, go down a massive learning curve, spend a lot of money that could not be recovered for a "normal" retirement dream, and get wife's buy it (at least verbally).

Now after 5 years of sailing and 2 boats I still have to remember to focus on the "why" of the plan, deal with all the unknowns of the plan (that I mostly have given up trying to find answers for), and still have most of the original fears.

But on the other hand I get though most days by keeping the overall plan in mind. Along the way "The Plan" has changed to be less specific on where I wish to go and what I plan to do and now in my mind it is "just to go cruising".

I have a little less than 3 years of "the planning to go cruising" before I can head out. That involves a lot of risk both for going and not going, but I figure I'm way further in making it happen than a lot of people who start down the road to this crazy cruising on a sailboat fantasy.
Old 27-12-2012, 11:16   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: How Did Your Plan Compare To Eventual Reality?

As the Jumper said going past the 53rd floor...
So far... So good.....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2012, 11:39   #4
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

what plan?????????????

i was threatened with eviction from moorings as i held 2, and alleged bylaws state maximum of one....lol...so now i am within legalities in sd, and my boat i am cruisng and my body and my gato are in zihuatenejo, for the moment......

the cruising lifestyle rocks totally......and stuff is less pricey than i thunk....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2012, 11:39   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

A few decades ago on our honeymoon (and having never stepped foot on a boat) we sat on the beach of a tropical island, looked at several yachts swinging lazily at anchor and said "one day we want to do that".
And now here we are ......

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2012, 13:11   #6

Boat: Lagoon 440

Same story, the beach was Airlie the occasion was the third "Fun Race" and we were crewing on 'Hagar the Horrible' an Adams 40........Did it for us

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
A few decades ago on our honeymoon (and having never stepped foot on a boat) we sat on the beach of a tropical island, looked at several yachts swinging lazily at anchor and said "one day we want to do that".
And now here we are ......
Old 27-12-2012, 13:23   #7
CLOD

Boat: none

My story actually started while on vacation in Cancun. I had been trying to figure out what to do for retirement and had been considering buying land etc somewhere warm. I really wanted to to travel more though, but didn't see a way to save enough money in time to do it before age got in the way.

Then while walking along the beach I came across a marina and said "hey we need a boat so we can take our home with us"! But I didn't think we would be able to afford the fuel so said "hey we need a sailboat"!

This was the start of money jumping out of my pocket into the ocean!
Old 27-12-2012, 18:08   #8

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

No "moment", just a long term general plan to "punch out" before I was too old to really enjoy it. Took off cruising the first time in 2001. Came back. Decided that was a bad idea (the coming back part). Took off again in 2004. Did not come back.

The specifics of my "plan" have changed a few times since then, but I'm still living and cruising in the Carib.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 12:17   #9

Boat: Seafarer36c

We decided to sell everything buy a boat and cruise for maybe 10 years. Spent about 3 years re-fitting the boat, selling stuff and getting the financial situation in order. All according to the plan. After 2 years of full time cruising from SF to FL we decided that the full time live aboard life was not for us. Now after a couple of years with a house and everything else, we are going back to sea but with a house to spend part of the year in. We tried to sell the boat at first but it's hard to get much of your money back so we didn't sell and now we are pretty glad about that.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 13:33   #10

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Lord, where to begin! My dreams are so fluid, always have been, but one thing always stays constant, to be with the ocean. When the sea gets in you, nothing can get it out.

At 19 I was going to solo RTW, didn't do that but did sail over 25,000 ocean miles. Knocking about here and there, nearly sinking in the Atlantic, nearly falling overboard offshore twice, negotiating on two different occasions with a psycho captain and then a psycho crew to make it ashore unharmed. Crazy beautiful nights, filled with stars and satellites. Crazy beautiful days with a captivating blue world filled with sea creatures and a complete lack of enthusiasm for landfall:-). Wondrous weather, indescribable ocean landscape.
I then decided I needed a sailor man, met him here at Cruisers Forum, moved aboard, got married on the bow. We were to leave by 2012-2013 for far off places but I was Diagnosed with brain tumors. Moved on land to be close to hospitals and such. Life filled with pills, needles, and doctors, lots of doctors. Docs nearly killed me trying to cure me, but two years later I am cured:-). Weak as a babe but cured. We had our cruising boat up for sale, the ocean seemed so far away, thank God Rain Dog didn't sell! Now, as my strength returns, as I wake up to this landlubber life, so does wake that inexplicable need to be on the ocean. It's all I can think of, it all I've ever thought of, tucked away at times but never truly dormant. My husband is totally onboard, he never let on how hard it was for him to become a dirt dweller again, but now when he talks of the boat, he lets the sparkle show. Plans now are that we leave in 15-20 months for who knows...it's gotta be warm and blue

Sorry so long winded, probably wasn't looking for life story but the ocean has been my life from day one

Ocean Girl
Old 21-02-2013, 13:50   #11

Boat: 1989 50 ft Roberts

My 6-8 year plan to launch my new home looks like will be completed in 5, so its looking good. Still gotta find that special shipmate though.
Matt sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 13:51   #12
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: How Did Your Plan Compare To Eventual Reality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
As the Jumper said going past the 53rd floor...
So far... So good.....

Meant to say...
No Plan... just woke one day and decided to go... had a boat and that was it... but...
Now read OP above..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 14:07   #13
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

I planned for a girl in every port!!!!!!!!!!

Life SUX!! Theres a couple of ports I've missed out

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote