Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2015, 21:08   #31

Re: Holy Proboscis Batman We Have Weevils

Oh my. A vessel may need weevils. Just remember the little story about them delivered by Russell Crowe in Master & Commander a decade or so ago. so what story is that???
capt ric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 21:29   #32

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefinitelyMe View Post
Incidentally, this is why some grains or rice float whereas others (most, hopefully!) sink. The floaty ones are the ones that have air bubbles in them where the weevils bored into it.

It's pretty much impossible to prevent grains from being infected with weevils since the infection can occur in the field when the crop is being grown and the larva is not killed by washing, surface pesticides etc. but it is possible to kill them by freezing .
That's garbage. Floating of grains has nothing to do with infestations.

Raw grains may be infested- belay that, probably are infested- but processed foods that are infested have been infested after processing and before you buy it. Like I said, probably in the store. The longer a bag/box sits in the store, the more likely it is to be infested, "sealed" or otherwise.

In the case of all insects, freezing depends on the species. Let's apply some rocket science here- does one think that Scandinavian weevil species are killed by freezing to -10C? Duh. Obviously not. PNG species might, but most insects of this sort are rather hardy.

I don't care if the food items are infested as a result of poor processing, egg survival, in-storage boring, etc. When you buy it in the nice store package it's infested. Eat it. They won't kill you. Don't tell anyone.

Then, depending on location, freeze, but definitely lock it up tight like I said, and if you see the most minimal infestation, STFU and use it up. Then clean up.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 21:45   #33

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt ric View Post

Oh my. A vessel may need weevils. Just remember the little story about them delivered by Russell Crowe in Master & Commander a decade or so ago. so what story is that???
I forget some of the detail, but the scene has the Captain (Crowe) is with his officers at dinner on an early 19th century British Naval ship, post meal small talk is taking place, and somehow Crow is prompted to ask one of the officers which of those two weevils he would pick? [The camera shows a close up of a plate with partly consumed bread, and two weevils, one large one small.] The answer is given by the person, as,"the larger one." Crowe says the answer is incorrect, because, "in the British navy, one must always select the lesser of two weevils." Polite laughter ensues.
buzzstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 00:23   #34

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Freeze the new unopened flour/rice/etc package (3 - 4 days) before storing. Then bay leaves.
Gordie, you're absolutely right.

However, we haven't had a freezer for 30+ yrs.!

Ann
Old 01-10-2015, 01:05   #35
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Anne,
Its off subject, but why no freezer? We have lived aboard since 1995 and have always had a freezer which has always been modified or upgraded from the standard due to silly small size/inadequate insulation/high power consumption etc. We have supplemented our freezer with a 95 litre (approx 3.5 cubic feet?) National Luna double door unit which is just perfect for our needs and can be used as a fridge or freezer.
I know everyone says to freeze goodies against weevils but that requires even more planning and shopping trips when reprovisioning as the space needed in the freezer shall prevent other foods being placed in the freezer. For us this is just not practical. We'll stick to our film cannisters and chloroform.
We have also read about only using genuine Tupperware - we have loads of these but we now prefer to use Snap & Lock boxes which appear better than Tupperware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Gordie, you're absolutely right.

However, we haven't had a freezer for 30+ yrs.!

Ann
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 01:15   #36

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Bulawayo,

If you really care, PM me, and I'll explain.

To Mr Reiter:

I have to confess, when I first saw the title of the thread, my first thought was , "make caraway seed cookies!" You can't tell the seeds from the weevils [I don't think!], and everyone loves them! It's just a little more protein.

But most modern folks don't want to hear that!

Cheers,

Ann
Old 01-10-2015, 08:04   #37

when ever you have a coice bwtween a large weevle or small one....Always choose the lesser of 2 weevles.
funset20012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 15:53   #38

Boat: Beneteau 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavereater View Post
Here's how us exterminators deal with stored product pantry pests. I believe these products can be purchased on line. Demand CS for your adulticide and Gentrol for your IGR (insect growth regulator) follow the mixing and application instructions on the label and you'll be bug free.

Thanks, but hard to get here in Grenada.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 15:58   #39

Boat: Beneteau 473

Thanks everyone for the input! I am happy to say we have the situation well in hand at this point. I gave only seen two in the last 48 hours. 😃

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote