Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 10-03-2011, 15:01   #136
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7
Re: Heedless Venture to Antarctica

I have as yet not been able to pinpoint the exact landing spot for their overland trek to the pole. Does anyone have an idea about this?

Tore

Old 10-03-2011, 15:46   #137
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7

Most likely the landing was made in Back Door Bay where Mt. Erebus can be seen in the background.

Tore
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_02 Mar. 10 19.37.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	24895   Click image for larger version

Name:	Back Door Bay.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	24896  

Old 10-03-2011, 15:56   #138
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Custom Van De Stadt 47 Samoa

current weather at Amundsen-Scott Station: "-55c (-67F) with snow"
Old 14-03-2011, 15:59   #139

I've been getting a number of requests for the Beserk Documentary, so I thought I'd add the info here for convenience. My apologies if links for the book & DVD aren't allowed???

Quote:
I originally saw the documentary on television about 8 years ago in Vancouver BC, Canada. It was fairly recently rebroadcast as a weekly show in Norway (I think it's still being broadcast there?) Here is a link to the Norwegian DVD. Last I heard, english language dvd's had been sold out:

Berserk - DVD - Film - CDON.COM

& the current Beserk TV series currently being streamed for free in Norway:

NRK Nett-TV - hastighetsmåling

& the book of the original Antarctic adventure:

Amazon.com: Berserk in the Antarctic. David Mercy (9781840244793): David Mercy: Books

& a vid clip:

I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Aussiesuede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2011, 16:10   #140
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Heedless venture to Antarctica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Interesting that you should bring up an area that should be of concern to anyone who spends as much time in the sun as boaters.

Skin cancer rates in New Zealand are among the highest in the world. In fact, melanoma in NZ and Australia is about 4 times that of Canada, the USA, and the UK.

Here's a website with current data: NZ skin cancer statistics | Sciencelearn Hub
Thats coz they're upside down.... stands to reason..
If your upside down the sunshines along the underside of the scales that make up your skin... exposure to vulnerable areas...

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2011, 16:26   #141
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Current weather at South Pole:

-84 °F
Feels Like -84 °F

Partly Cloudy
Old 15-03-2011, 08:02   #142

Boat: grampian 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post
Current weather at South Pole:

-84 °F
Feels Like -84 °F

Partly Cloudy
Yes but it is a dry cold.
Old 15-03-2011, 14:47   #143

Boat: Garcia Passoa 48

Good discussion. I tend to agree with the assessment that this was a misguided venture. Maybe off topic a little but I am curious about what people think of these images. History or trash?

Deception Island, Antarctic Peninsula.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0726_1.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	401.1 KB
ID:	25125   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0744.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	409.6 KB
ID:	25126  

Name:	IMG_0747.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	421.6 KB
ID:	25127  
Old 15-03-2011, 16:16   #144

Boat: No boat, looking again.

Did those two ugly animal things in the first picture cause that damage to those lovely buildings? Shame on them!!

The old buildings look like trash to me. Aweful. But then, one person's trash is another person's treasure.
Old 15-03-2011, 16:56   #145
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewsc View Post
Good discussion. I tend to agree with the assessment that this was a misguided venture. Maybe off topic a little but I am curious about what people think of these images. History or trash?

Deception Island, Antarctic Peninsula.
Thats the former Norwegian Aktieselskabet Hektor whaling station. The remains of the Norwegian whaling station were designated as Historic Site No. 71 under the Antarctic Treaty, 19 May 1995.

In March 1991 a two-man BAS team carried out a survey of the site, and collected a large quantity of widely scattered rubbish. Follow-up visit during January 1992 when a four-man clean-up team removed all accessible hazardous wastes and fuel and a large quantity of rubbish. Last inspection by BAS personnel was during January 2002 when a resurvey of the contents and condition of the buildings was carried out.

The bay there is actually an active volcano - It is one of the only places in the world where vessels can sail directly into the centre of a active volcano. There are some lovely hot water pools

Its a little warmer today at the pole
-64 °F
Feels Like -64 °F
Snow
Old 15-03-2011, 17:15   #146

Re: Heedless venture to Antarctica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Stocking View Post
Full and proper legal proceeding and verdict for those responsible.

Why didnt they lose enough there friends/family, stuff, vessel in front of the whole world. i do not think courts should punish ignorance after mother nature all ready did. I guess they need to make a show of these two so no one else tries this but who would want to.
Just my 2 pennies
thank you
Old 15-03-2011, 17:41   #147

Boat: Garcia Passoa 48

The site is a good example of the spectrum of trash to treasure. The whaling station and boilers pre 1931 are an interesting and vivid display of the history of exploitation in antarctica. As such they seem like a treasure. The mid 60's hangar and lab building.. not so interesting. Where that line gets drawn I guess depends on your perspective.

Hot water percolating out of the sand. Priceless.
Old 16-03-2011, 06:53   #148
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

“Berserk” Skipper Andhoy Responds to Critics

Andhoy tells Sail-World that they did nothing wrong.

Sail-World.com : Andhøy refutes Berserk criticism: 'She was my little floating tank.'

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2011, 04:25   #149

Some interesting questions remain unanswered with regards to the Berserk. Just prior to the tragedy they were met by the Wellington from NZ and asked if anyone had any cigarettes.? They were advised that a serious storm was en route and they should see shelter. They anchored at Horseshoe Bay (Mawsons Base Boat Harbour) McMurdo Sound. They were in touch with Jarle Andhoy via Satellite Phone twice a day. They stated that the anchorage was amazing, all was ok until Jarle received an SMS stating spirits on board were great and that they were leaving Horseshoe Bay. No reason for leaving was given and this despite the fact the storm was almost open them? Their Epirb was activated some 7 miles from their reported anchorage, it is now known the Epirb was activated automatically as opposed to manually. The epirb did not stay activated for long. It seems irrational to all except the skipper of Berserk at the time Tom as to why she left the perfect anchorage? They could have sort refuge at Mawsons Base ashore. It's obvious that the Berserk met her peril quickly and no doubt due to the ice or a collision with a submerged iceberg, Jarle finds this hard to believe, he called Berserk his little tank, she had handled these conditions before. One must question that and I'm sure Jarle believes this to be the case, but from all descriptions this was a fierce storm in freezing conditions, a sad end to what started as an adventure for all. Whilst I acknowledge the yachts illegalities Jarle was a very well qualified ocean sailor, he was not aboard at the time, and I'm sure this will haunt him for the rest of his life. I would have thought this to be a punishment far greater than the sin, perhaps some of will not agree.
Old 18-03-2011, 06:59   #150
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrafirma View Post
I would have thought this to be a punishment far greater than the sin
We all make mistakes. A sign of maturity and leadership is the ability to admit/acknowledge and then learn from our mistakes. So far Jarle does not seem to have that maturity - he is still saying he made no mistakes and is still passing the buck to his back-up skipper. It's well past time for him to grow up.

He is also plainly telling at least some lies. For instance he claims not to have been aware of the permit requirements. That is either a lie or he is extremely ignorant. He was down there previously and every sailor down there knows about and talks about the permits/permit process around the bars and docks, and he was asked about his permits (prior to this voyage) when he discussed getting fuel from a ship, and if he did any meaningful research at all one of the first thing he would have found was the permit requirement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrafirma View Post
Jarle was a very well qualified ocean sailor,
He did have some ocean miles, but he also lost his previous boat (so now has lost two) and his voyages have been noted as 'comedy of errors' (repeatedly running aground, hitting icebergs, getting into trouble with officials, etc). So, I personally would suggest that 'well qualified ocean sailor' is a bit of an overstatement.

My hope is that Jarle will learn and grow from this experience. That can in no way make up for the loss of his crew, but at least would be one positive outcome from this tragedy. But so far in his interviews I see him continuing to be immature and irresponsible.

Tags
arc

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: