Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > The Sailor's Confessional
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2013, 18:37   #61
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"
Re: Have you Fired an Converted Flare Gun?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sww914 View Post
Noonsite has the most comprehensive information that I'm aware of. Certainly not allowed in Mexico and several Caribbean countries. I went to Mexico first, we have no guns aboard and we haven't needed any.
when i depart for vietnam, and south sea, i want one. or some type of protection. i had been looking for commercial flare guns, with large rounds.
not to convert, but if your shot with something flaming and hot.... you will most likely bugger off.
Old 28-06-2013, 18:44   #62
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sww914 View Post
If toy plastic that's weaker than Lego plastic was good enough to make pistols, I'm sure that some gun manufacturer would be doing it.

3D PRINTED GUN is Now a REALITY as the World's First FULLY FUNCTIONAL 3D Printed Gun is Made - YouTube

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
Old 28-06-2013, 20:02   #63
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Flare gun, right, if you don't scare the bad man off, he's just gonna be pissed while you try reloading. Guns and borders are a problem, even here in the US there are many places where an old shotgun is still going to be illegal without a license for it.

3D printed gun...sure, the sky has fallen, but what they neglect to say is that it is a throw-away piece. When the actual important part of the gun, the receiver or chamber, is made on a 3d printer, the odds are it will fail either on the first try or sometime soon after, as confirmed by a number of the folks who have made and tested them. Not to worry, there's always the other hand, right?

And frankly, a saturday night special is going to be cheaper and more reliable. The technology certainly has potential, and uses, but if that plastic gun FLOATS...gonna make it hard to dispose of the evidence. And there'll be a $10,000 MARPOL fine for tossing it overboard, too. <VBG>

Nah. If you need a gun to go there, you don't need to go there. Only jihadis can travel freely with guns.
Old 28-06-2013, 20:16   #64
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Flare gun, right, if you don't scare the bad man off, he's just gonna be pissed while you try reloading. Guns and borders are a problem, even here in the US there are many places where an old shotgun is still going to be illegal without a license for it.

3D printed gun...sure, the sky has fallen, but what they neglect to say is that it is a throw-away piece. When the actual important part of the gun, the receiver or chamber, is made on a 3d printer, the odds are it will fail either on the first try or sometime soon after, as confirmed by a number of the folks who have made and tested them. Not to worry, there's always the other hand, right?

And frankly, a saturday night special is going to be cheaper and more reliable. The technology certainly has potential, and uses, but if that plastic gun FLOATS...gonna make it hard to dispose of the evidence. And there'll be a $10,000 MARPOL fine for tossing it overboard, too. <VBG>

Nah. If you need a gun to go there, you don't need to go there. Only jihadis can travel freely with guns.

Where exactly in the US is a shotgun illegal without licence? Never heard of such a thing. I was handed my first 12 gauge at 11 years old, only bolt action .22 before that. Needless to say I had no papers. Neither did anyone else.

Old 28-06-2013, 20:45   #65

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

If you have proper boat with the proper doc's you can have a properly installed gun locker ! We don't have one on our current boat, but did have a locked gun locker abord our colvin and never had a problem anywhere we cruised !! have things changed so much ???
Old 28-06-2013, 21:18   #66

Boat: Seafarer36c

What is a "proper gun locker"? A small locker (wood) with a lock?
Old 28-06-2013, 21:55   #67
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
What is a "proper gun locker"? A small locker (wood) with a lock?

I like biometric safes. A single like this will fit in most full length lockers with room to spare.

TVB-4810-BIO - Tacvault | GunVault | GunVault

Old 28-06-2013, 22:25   #68

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Never saw a wooden one! Most are steel and well mounted to the vessel, so it can not be easily un- attached. And well locked! Don't really think a wooden gun locker would be accepted. Also needs to be labled as a gun locker. I don't know if hand guns can be transported this way, but shot guns and rifles can ! Just a thought
Old 29-06-2013, 04:05   #69
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Where exactly in the US is a shotgun illegal without licence? ...
I believe that Connecticut, District of Columbia, Hawaii, Illinois, Massachusetts, and New Jersey, all require a State Permit to purchase a Long Gun.

Old 29-06-2013, 05:27   #70
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
I believe that Connecticut, District of Columbia, Hawaii, Illinois, Massachusetts, and New Jersey, all require a State Permit to purchase a Long Gun.
thats is not correct sir.
i know American gun laws well.
NRA-ILA | State Laws

CT has a new law
After April 1. 2014 a long gun "eligibility certificate" is required.
HI needs a permit
Old 29-06-2013, 07:06   #71
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sageofsalem View Post
That was a shame the US government gave free shrimp boats to those fortunate enough to be relocated from South Vietnam after that war. The "Coonasses" could not compete with the low "overhead" the Viets enjoyed.
The fact of the matter is Coonasses could not compete with anyone actually working for a living. While the Vietnamese were shrimping, the Coonasses were having 'one more beer'. I have seen as many as 3 families living on a shrimp boat and bathing in the bayous. A sacrifice that most American born families would never make. As for the free shrimp boat thing, I have never seen it and no one has been able to show me documentation of it. Hopefully you can.
Old 29-06-2013, 09:48   #72
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Minaret-
While we may argue the semantics of "permit" versus "license" or "certificate" or whatever...as Gord mentions, plenty of states. Then there are municipalities like NYC where you must PREpay a registration fee or surrender the weapon for police safekeeping (ha, about as safe as many small island nations) and DC, which I haven't checked lately but would expect shotguns wouldn't be welcome.

Onceuponatime, before JFK got shot and the country started to go nuts, when every (EVERY) high school had a shooting team and every summer camp had a rifle range...you could walk down the streets of Manhattan with a double-barrel shotgun over your shoulder, as long as the breech was open. Do that today, with or without paperwork, and you'd better have a real big box of KrispieKremes to placate the heavily armored teams that will surround you.

Municipal laws trump the state ones, no "states" firearms guide book will list them all.
Old 15-07-2013, 07:45   #73

Boat: Made offer on a Regal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
We used a lot of string, thank goodness. We are both on the right side of the grass despite a lifetime of risky foolishness... cheers, Phil
What is the right side of the grass? I live underground and work there to! LMFAO ( coal miner)
Old 15-07-2013, 07:55   #74
cruiser

here is a thought.
can a flare gun fire a bean bag or other non-lethal shot type?
Bean bag round - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 15-07-2013, 17:10   #75
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post
here is a thought.
can a flare gun fire a bean bag or other non-lethal shot type?
Bean bag round - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Posession of those ammo types is just as illegal as posession of a shotgun. Why would you risk it?

P.s. most (all?) less than lethal ammo types are only non lethal when used at greater than 10 meter (30') distances.

Closed Thread