Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > The Sailor's Confessional
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2013, 11:35   #16

Boat: 36' solaris sunrise catamaran
Talking Re: Have you Fired an Converted Flare Gun?

I cannot understand A) why anyone would want to KNOW if anyone has fired a converted flare gun and B) for what reason would anyone want to convert one?

A flare gun on its own is a lethal weapon.

Peter
Old 31-01-2013, 11:41   #17

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20
Re: Have you Fired an Converted Flare Gun?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivonia View Post
I cannot understand A) why anyone would want to KNOW if anyone has fired a converted flare gun and B) for what reason would anyone want to convert one?

A flare gun on its own is a lethal weapon.

Peter
Yes invariably lethal at point blank range

Old 31-01-2013, 12:17   #18

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

Quote:
Originally Posted by msponer View Post
Here's a report from the ATF, who did test fire these. I know very little about guns and their laws, and can't tell if it's illegal to have one of these or if it's just illegal to have an unregistered one of these.
Just to clarify about the legal status of a converted flare gun. It would be classified as an AOW (any other weapon) under Federal law in the US. The National Firearms Act (NFA) of 1923 legislated registration of full auto weapons, short barreled rifles and shotguns, and AOWs like "pen guns", etc. All these types are referred to as NFA weapons by collectors.

This is a national registration that requires a FBI background check, a "tax stamp" payment, and other requirements related to storage and use. So, yes it's legal, but not something anyone but a collector would pursue these days.
Old 31-01-2013, 13:24   #19
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Ed-
"What is unclear are all the guns sold at gun shows where you do not need any background check and presumably, just buy a gun."
Please don't spread myths and lies. The truth is that guns sold without background checks "at" gun shows are guns sold by provate parties, not merchants, not show vendors, and they are typically sold in the parking lot and NOT on the premises.
So they are not actually sold at gun shows. Because so many newspapers have banned private forearms sales from their classified listings in an attempt to ban firearms, private sellers have gone to where they can expect to find potential buyers: The parking lots of guns shows. If they go inside the venue, they'll be thrown out, because private sales at gun shows are usually BANNED and the merchants have to do the same background check that they would run in their stores. Same waiting periods, same everything.

Only a fool who'd never fired a 12-gauge would try firing the same shells from a plastic gun. You'd get more answers from folks who have actually done that by asking in the TramuaticFistAmputations forum.

Maybe it works, once. Maybe then, you throw it away because the plastic is stressed. And what, gamble that the next one won't blow itself apart? Or, hope the stressed one will hold one more time? They won't even give out Darwin Awards for blowing just your hand off.
Old 31-01-2013, 15:09   #20
cruiser

Boat: O'day 32 CC Ketch

I have to dig into my old sailing mag collection but roughly 5-6 years ago good old boat had an ad for a metal (brass looking) flare gun insert that had a inner .38 caliber bore. This was marketed in a major publication, and was said to not legally be a gun unless assembled. One shot is pretty meger self defense though, but its small so why not.
@Peter, To answer your question why someone would convert a flare gun to fire real bullets? Some of us like this ****, pretty simple. You may not, we all different.
Old 31-01-2013, 15:27   #21

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
And BTW, how many times has any law enforcement ever checked your flare gun?
I can think of at least five or six times my flare gun has been checked by the Coast Guard and others. A couple of times they actually went through all the flares and read off the dates. In Bermuda you had to turn in your flare guns upon entry and they were kept by the police until just before you left.
Old 31-01-2013, 15:46   #22

Boat: 1989 50 ft Roberts

Just like tobacco shops that sell "tobacco" pipes that are really bongs for pot, I'm suprised that you cannot buy a "flare" gun that is really manufactured to shoot 12 guage shells.
There you have it; my first and last gun thread post. But they are fun to read.
Old 31-01-2013, 15:46   #23
cruiser

I too have had my flare gun and flares inspected by the coast guard and local law, flares are required equipment. Not only do you need them, but they need not to be expired. Seems I'm always buying them, but never using them. I was going to test some old ones on july 4th, but forgot so I'll try to remember this year (inland 50 miles, not on the water).
Old 31-01-2013, 15:53   #24

Boat: Finnsailer 38

By the way, the first thing any law enforcement asks you when you are stopped is, "Do you have any weapons onboard?" Do you lie and take the chance they won't find it when they inspect, or do you say, "Just this illegally altered flare gun?"
Old 31-01-2013, 16:06   #25

Boat: 41' Morgan Classic

Never even considered using a flare gun as a weapon, but then I'm canadian so I don't even consider having a weapon at home to repel suburban 'pirates' - although I do have some guns but they are so inaccessible that I'd be long dead in my grave before they would be of any assistance
Old 31-01-2013, 16:58   #26

Boat: morgan 462-sageofsalem

I have the H&K 26.5mm and opted for the .410/.45 Kennesaw insert. Yes it works. I also bought a box of white parachute flares to go with it. This was all shipped by boat to my vessel lying in the W.Carib.

Good luck finding any of the 26.5mm all metal Polish/Russian/German models as they have been "snapped up." I have heard some people ordering them from Poland successfully. I also have the 12Ga. plastic flare gun in my "possibles" kit but it never entered my mind to try to fire a high power shell or anything other than using in the way it was intended.
The converted metal flaregun is only one aspect of my boat defense plan. Bear Spray is much more humane and sensible when dealing with a lancha full of drunken indians. When the boarder has a gun, all bets are off and I pray that never happens to me and I don't worry about it...because I've done all I can to protect my passengers in secluded anchorages and remote cruising grounds.

Be advised that most countries treat a flare gun insert as a weapon and at least, it will cost you a hefty bribe if found, at worst, jail time.
Old 31-01-2013, 20:15   #27
cruiser

Hey Sageofsalem, Could you expand abit about that 26.5 flare gun? I was in a gunstore last year when I mentioned I came by boat the owner pulled out this rocket launcher looking thing roughly 30"ish long. He said it was a flare gun, aluminum, shoulder stock and he sld them to boaters. Claimed it wasnt a gun so no paperwork just buy. He also pointed out repeatedly that after I fired the flares I could reload the shells with rubber bullet or whatever for crowd control. I beleive it was 26.5 or 30mm, it was very canon like, $535 new. I have been considering getting one. Sound similar?
Old 31-01-2013, 20:35   #28
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidRabbit View Post
Hey Sageofsalem, Could you expand abit about that 26.5 flare gun? I was in a gunstore last year when I mentioned I came by boat the owner pulled out this rocket launcher looking thing roughly 30"ish long. He said it was a flare gun, aluminum, shoulder stock and he sld them to boaters. Claimed it wasnt a gun so no paperwork just buy. He also pointed out repeatedly that after I fired the flares I could reload the shells with rubber bullet or whatever for crowd control. I beleive it was 26.5 or 30mm, it was very canon like, $535 new. I have been considering getting one. Sound similar?

That's more than I paid for my 1917 Webley Mark III! And the Webley is extremely heavily built of solid naval brass, no rust or corrosion issues at all. Steel case milsurp flares ARE very easy to reload, mines 37mm. Already posted pics on an older similar thread. The Webley also has more cool factor, it's the same gun Peter O'Toole used in Lawrence of Arabia, everyone recognizes it immediately. Obviously a collectors piece, and I have plenty of normal flares and flare guns for officials to inspect.
Old 31-01-2013, 20:40   #29

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Gee guys I have a couple of 2 world war steel flare guns and have never had a problem with coastys or any other folks yet ! But I also have a signal Cannon which will shoot beer cans if ya want to mess about LOL a beer can with concrete in it makes a big hole in stuff if ya want some fire power get a signal cannon or if your handie bild one ! I did ! sorta fun at sundown !!
Old 31-01-2013, 20:44   #30
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
Gee guys I have a couple of 2 world war steel flare guns and have never had a problem with coastys or any other folks yet ! But I also have a signal Cannon which will shoot beer cans if ya want to mess about LOL a beer can with concrete in it makes a big hole in stuff if ya want some fire power get a signal cannon or if your handie bild one ! I did ! sorta fun at sundown !!

All the commercial signal cannons I've seen fire ten or twelve gauge blanks. One big enough to fire a beer can full of cement must weigh several hundred pounds!
Closed Thread