Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-06-2012, 22:29   #1

Happy Sailtice!

Being one of the longest days of the year today , we decided to spend the evening sailing. We just got back from a fabulous sail on Lake Harriet in Minneapolis, where we keep our boat on a buoy. Why is this in the Sailors Confessional? Well, we're a new sailor family, and today we learnt that trying to drop an anchor on a lee shore with Eurasian Millfoil will get you a massive ball of weeds (and I mean massive) around the anchor that will let you slowly drag towards shore, and the weeds that didn't clog your anchor will be happy to tangle the prop, rudder and keel. Oh yeah, we learned about good and no so good ways to communicate in a stressful situation ...

After successfuly getting out of it all and a nice and slow sail back to the buoy just as the sun set, the kids (2 and 5 yr/old) caught dozens of panfish, and me and the wife had a glass or two of wine. The youngest fell asleep on the boat for the first time, and the eldest 2 minutes after getting in the truck driving home.

What could be better than having a "learning experience" with the family, and everyone eager to go sailing again? ( Except with now slightly improved anchoring skills)
monstads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2012, 23:10   #2

Forgot to add:

What did you do during the long nights of summer? For you tropical folks, I would expect "same as usual". Northern latitudes should.be more interesting..... :-)
monstads is offline   Reply With Quote