Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2010, 08:43   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
I dunno....I guess I am willing to bet that at six ft. two, 220..I might not be.

A pound is a pound - if I'm eating a 8 oz. t-bone, I don't care if it came from a tall cow or a short one.
slowshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2010, 09:07   #62
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
and these diseases force people to eat more calories a day than they burn, huh?

Or Willie-Stuff-the-face syndrome.

Or some new way to define fat. Go look at a crowd of average Americans in a WalMart. You telling me they are ALL diseased? Gimme a break. I struggle with weight, too. But I don't blame it on some syndrome.

Its like people saying they "can't" quit smoking. Hey, simply do not pick up that cigarette, put it in your mouth, and light it. Keep doing that. voila, you quit smoking.

Now....see that Twinkie?

Its real simple math. Or do these diseases manufacture fat from air and water?

Hey, if someone is happy being fat, that's great. People should be happy. Live with the consequences. Quit whining about who's fault it really is that you're fat. Just be fat and be happy being fat.

I am talking about the fat people who are NOT happy, yet keep looking for something else to blame it on. Not water bloat, that's different. We all know about water bloat.

If you are making excuses for being fat, you really don't want to not be fat. Or you wouldn't be fat.
Actually, I haven't suggested that all fat people have a disease. Only pointing out that their are some people who have studied obesity and disease and found there are diseases that can cause obesity. You assertion that there isn't may be right but it isn't supported by current medical research. Do you have something more then opinion to back it up? There is also research done on the effects of poverty and lack of education on obesity in societies where high fat and sodium foods are often more easily obtainable and less expensive then good nutrition. "If you are making excuses for being fat, you really don't want to not be fat. Or you wouldn't be fat" ... well, I believed in Peter Pan when I was a small child but the only flying I've done is in a plane. Have you done some research in this area as well?
hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2010, 12:43   #63

Boat: Pearson 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Stuffed if I didn’t get Sea Life into a difficult predicament last night.

We invited 3 locals for Sundowners and dinner.

We are at the scummiest marina in Asia (at least there is a marina) I borrowed a set of steps from a tourist boat to lay alongside the shrouds.
The dock is very low floating type. Dock too short to get to Sea Lifes swim platform.
Sea Life is a fairly high sided, but only 39 feet so not that high.

Well it took a bit of pushing and shoving to get the guests aboard, can I tell you!

But the big problem was after dinner getting the rotund 58 year olds off Sea Life!

Nicolle told one of the women to just jump into my arms. Either that chic has an inflated idea of my strength or the bitch is trying to kill me. But I did manage to help manoeuvre one of creations largest posteriors over Sea Lifes side.

The other woman wasn’t too bad after she decided to take her shoes off and allow us to pass down her 3 or 4 handbags.

That left the man.

He point blank refused to try and leap over the lifelines!

I thought it was going to be 3 for breakfast!!

He would eat us out of house and chillies!!! (I have to tell ya that story too)

I ended up unscrewing the life lines so he could sit on the gunwales and find the step with his feet.

Someone with a good Fat Bum Loading Method might educate me please! Or at least a similar story so I don't feel like a dork

Mark
Three things I have learned you never allow on your boat: rap music, someone who is over 250 lbs., and someone who is over 250 lbs. and drunk!
merrick44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2010, 13:11   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrick44 View Post
Three things I have learned you never allow on your boat: rap music, someone who is over 250 lbs., and someone who is over 250 lbs. and drunk!
I for one am happy to have some of the better rap and hiphop onboard. If I hear one more boat playing Jimmy Buffet I'm going to shoot a flare into their stereo.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2010, 13:21   #65
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Fat Bums don't come on my boat... no I'm not anti-fat...
they just crap themselves when the boat heels 30degrees as they put their weight on their leading foot...
Well... shes only lickle.....

I was SOOOOO tempted to put a Youtube Buffet on...... ROFLMAO

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2010, 14:23   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
I for one am happy to have some of the better rap and hiphop onboard. If I hear one more boat playing Jimmy Buffet I'm going to shoot a flare into their stereo.
I'm relatively certain that is an oxymoron.
Brob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2010, 15:28   #67

Boat: Voyage 470 "SeaPaws II"
Quote:
. If I hear one more boat playing Jimmy Buffet I'm going to shoot a flare into their stereo.
Come on Rebel, I was listening to JB way before I ever started sailing. Some people come on board and want to hear it. What I can't stand hearing the same thing over and over again all day. Some JB is OK but need other tunes also. We go months without playing any.

Ever try Alabama 3, check them out the band that did the theme song for the Sopranos TV series. They are a British group that mixes several styles of music. ALABAMA3 | VIDEO
They are not a country band, but may come off like one at first glance
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2010, 15:50   #68
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Hey Rebel.... try an English Jimmy for a change...

Sorry for 'Drifting' folks

Old 19-10-2010, 17:02   #69

You guys who hate on rap and hiphop are no better than the folks who used to hate on rock n' roll when it first came out! Corrupts the youth, sounds like noise, not real music, etc, etc.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2010, 17:42   #70
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

This is as close to Rap as I'm likely to go....

But then I thought the Beatles and Elvis sucked...., however Cream, Led Zepplin, Floyd and Hendrix.... that was music...

Old 19-10-2010, 18:09   #71

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by merrick44 View Post
Hmmmm... what if your 6'5", xcountry ski 10 miles a night in winter and near that limit? My weight ain't fat
avb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2010, 19:28   #72

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Hmmmm... what if your 6'5", xcountry ski 10 miles a night in winter and near that limit? My weight ain't fat
You'd be too tall for my boat unless you like banging your head. 6' is max on this vessel.
Old 19-10-2010, 20:01   #73

Location: Paradise (better known to most people as: Philippines)
Boat: 65' Custom Steel Ketch
Quote:
You guys who hate on rap and hiphop are no better than the folks who used to hate on rock n' roll when it first came out! Corrupts the youth, sounds like noise, not real music, etc, etc.
I don't mind so much the corrupts the youth part, and the 'not real music' part is only subjective so there's not so much you can do to support the statement. It does sound like noise, but that's generally what most young, angst-y music is supposed to sound like.

I dislike the social messages most of it glamorizes. I won't dispute that. But everyone gets to make their own choices, and if parents agree with the music's messages, then the kids should listen to it.

What I don't like is that it's not complex enough. There simply isn't enough going in, musically, for it to hold my attention. I dislike Elvis, the Beatles and pretty much anything that's come out in the last five or ten years for much the same reason. They're cultural icons, and musical trendsetters for certain, and we owe much of modern music to their influence, yada yada yada, blah blah blah, but I have the same complaint of their musical style. Just not enough happening to keep my interest.

The same can't be said of metal, or opera, or classical masterpieces by the truly great composers. Even 'simple' Eric Clapton or Kenny G riffs are impressive in their intonation and delivery.

If you want something to dance to half-drunk/buzzed at the club, or have a party around the fire with something to whip people up for no apparent reason, then rap/hip-hop/whatever-they-call-it-after-hip-hip-gets-too-much-negative-connotation is definitely for you. And if you simply want something to tap your foot to, and bob your head with then it's good, also.

And this isn't to say that all artists in the genre are lacking compositional or musical skills. I've heard some beautiful arrangements from some of those guys, but it's always just a hook to get you to listen to the less-than-impressive genre after the intro finishes.

Proving you can carve a beautiful stone sculpture doesn't mean I am going to (or should) like your basket weaving. I do, however, recognize that most of the successful rap artists are intelligent, savvy businesspeople who just play to the crowd in order to line their pockets. And THAT is something I can respect
NotQuiteLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2010, 20:04   #74

Boat: Panda 40 - S/V Cambria
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowshoes View Post
The foldaway stainless ladder from Mystic stainless is also a great ladder for getting aboard from the water or dink. You have to have a genoa track on the toerail for it to work though, and be prepared for sticker shock. I've had one since 1989 and it works great.
I was sitting at anchor in a warm tropical location when I saw a man swimming around and obviously tiring, so I invited him onboard via a Mystic foldaway ladder. Kinda overweight fella, turned out he was only wearing underwear and that had become somewhat transparent, but he was pretty good company, having sailed extensively for decades. About a half hour after he came aboard a dinghy with his friend and wife showed up looking for him. The friend was probably 300 pounds and was up the ladder before I could say a word; the wife was... what geologists would call "equant"... she was as wide as she was tall as she was deep - I'd say about three barrels of volume, indicating that at least her density was low but up the ladder she shot before I could get over my - ah - surprise. I was absolutely stunned that the ladder held. Had to twist, turn and duck to get between the cabin top and the stanchions. She turned out to be good company too but the three of them completely filled my cockpit and ate my entire summer supply of nibblies. I would have liked to have seen them again but I simply couldn't afford it.
They eventually disembarked twisting and turning with underwear man and my ingested pantry into the night, leaving me in my solitude to ponder the stars, the meaning of life, and why I don't like cauliflower...

Michael
svcambria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2010, 20:21   #75

Quote:

Turn that down and GET OFF MY LAWN !
Brob2 is offline   Reply With Quote