Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2018, 21:52   #31

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Fun day sail with seasickness

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Saylor View Post
Hey Ann,

Quick question. . .when you are on a longer passage due you take 15mg of Stugeron and continue to do so throughout the passage, even if 10+ days?

No. Mostly, I'd take two tabs, and that's all, until or if the motion got where I knew I needed it to not feel sick. Understand I tried a lot of stuff over the years, but have actually not been on many passages that got awful in the middle! Mostly, I don't use it very often now, but...I do take it when I need it, and if I needed it all 24 days, I'd take it. It has only ever helped my body feel better, and I do not believe it's habituating.

I've woken during my off watch and asked Jim to get it for me, when I knew when I got up, it'd be miserable for me, too. It is easier to keep seasickness away than to make it go away after it is established. For me, the Stugeron takes about 30-45 min. to work.

Ann

Old 10-08-2018, 11:16   #32
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I know Stugeron works great for some folks, but for me, it was just another mild antihistamine, which didn't make me sleepy. Or less queazy. not in the same class as Scop, or the NASA cocktail, or any number of other drugs. It is still "just" another antihistamine, and that entire class of products doesn't work for a lot of us. (And there's not much fun in having the seasick guy fall asleep from the meds, and come back to life still seasick eight hours later.)

FWIW.

But even NASA says that about one in three meds will work for about one in three people, the only way to find out is to try them. Preferably on land, at home, when there's someone else around to see if you're really doing OK.

hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 15:24   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
I know Stugeron works great for some folks, but for me, it was just another mild antihistamine, which didn't make me sleepy. Or less queazy. not in the same class as Scop, or the NASA cocktail, or any number of other drugs. It is still "just" another antihistamine, and that entire class of products doesn't work for a lot of us. (And there's not much fun in having the seasick guy fall asleep from the meds, and come back to life still seasick eight hours later.)

FWIW.

But even NASA says that about one in three meds will work for about one in three people, the only way to find out is to try them. Preferably on land, at home, when there's someone else around to see if you're really doing OK.

Thanks to you both (Hello Sailor & Ann). . .I would say I am reasonably prone to seasickness. I sailed a lot in Puget Sound in mostly moderate conditions, where I experienced virtually no inkling of seasickness. I have also been in the Bay Area when I was much younger (teens & 20s) where conditions didn’t seem terrible - I was rail meat, chumming the water and everyone else was fine.

I have mostly been trolling Cruisers Forum for a few years learning, gathering info and developing my escape plan, which is to begin cruising, starting summer/fall 2020, with my wife and our two kids who will then be 6 & 10. I find sailing exhilarating and exploring via sailboat wonderful. Starting this adventure makes me giddy. I have a lot to learn (and that is subject for another post, but since I have already gone down the seasick rabbit hole) my concern is that I cannot afford to be incapacitated due to seasickness and I don’t want to be heavily reliant on one drug or another (with or without side effects).

I have read several threads on seasickness here (and Ann, I REALLY appreciate your well considered perspective). I have to keep experimenting and unfortunately I don’t have perfect circumstances to create a ‘lab environment’. We live in Colorado and are able to sail on vacations, when we charter. I will definitely do the dry land experiment with Scop as that appears be magic for some and a hideous cocktail of hallucinations and side effects for others. That said, I fantasize about a sure fire solution that is minimally toxic and has little or no side effects. Probably just that - a fantasy.

Apologies if I have violated protocol by hijacking this thread. . .
John Saylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 18:18   #34

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

I just kept trying something different. I tried the wrist bands, but though I didn't throw up, I felt queasy and awful. Tried ginger, preserved ginger, and ginger tea.

In John's place, where you are only going sailing occasionally, sure, try the scop. I didn't like it for the dry mouth side effect, and it also gave me a headache, and my mouth tasted terrible. I did not get the lurid dreams Jim did. He actually would talk out loud in his sleep when he had them! Definitely something you want to trial on land, because some people have hallucinations from scop. That is why my doc at the time wanted me to trial it at home.

I would also try some Stugeron at home, and see what happens. See which medicine your body tolerates. Just like for hellosailor, it might not prevent your seasickness, but as well, it might. It is available in Great Britain over the counter, that level of safeness to try.

Finally, the more you sail, the more your body gets used to the transition from land to water. Read about the protocols for dealing with airsickness for pilots, too. Only a very small percentage of humans always get seasick, most of us are treatable.

Ann
Old 12-08-2018, 12:04   #35
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Ann-
I had also tried the Ne Kwan bands, the elastic wrist bands with a button. But have you tried the electric Relief Band? Very different. It looks like a wrist watch, straps over the same accupressure points, but applies a light electric current to them. It must be positioned precisely to work, but it has the advantage of "on, off" as you please. Different models (disposable or battery accessible) and FDA approved for use against morning sickness as well. Not cheap but then again, neither is 'scop. Anyone who has ever needed serious meds for seasickness, owes it to themselves to try this. For me, it works nearly as well as scop but with no side effects. (Although when set on highest power, your fingers will tingle, but a rat chewing on my wrist would be better than being seasick!)

John-
You need to consider that anyone can be disabled at any time by a simple unexpected toss of the boat. You get dropped down the companionway, tossed across the cabin, a dozen ways to break ribs and bones and you're out of it. Seasickness is just one of them, so the real need to have your wife able to solo the boat is there anyway. If you're both seasick...that's a problem too.
I knew someone who lived vaguely out your way, but about an hour's drive in good weather from the nearest paramedic station. They, and their neighbors, subscribed to an air ambulance service for the same reason: sometimes, you just can't rely on "help" being around and have to make other plans.

hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fun, sail