Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 12-07-2017, 23:42   #16

Re: Fun day sail with seasickness

Yes I forgot to add, that's a good tip sleep the night before on the boat.

Bvisailing32 lots of good info. Some does not apply to me, most I do, and a few things to think about. You listed so many not going to break it all down haha. I do a checklist and safety briefing before sailing. But having this happen shows I need to add a few items to the list of things to review with crew.

And who can argue about sailing more!

Old 13-07-2017, 03:21   #17

Boat: Various

Seasick meds need to be taken prior to the trip.

Now, are you sure it was seasickness? Doesn't sound like it to me. Did you eat anything together before the trip? Or even at the same place? What about a fuel leak or fuel in the bilge or something? Or even a head or porta potti? Propane leak?

Old 13-07-2017, 10:09   #18

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Unless I'm mistaken most seasickness is from your ears and your eyes not agreeing on which direction is down and your body simply says I give up. So any ear infection exacerbates the issue.
Old 13-07-2017, 14:05   #19

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

It happens that people's bodies react differently to different types of motion.

A personal example, my body's fine with the slow up and down and gentle rolling of downwind sailing, but throw any jerky motion at it and I'm gonna be motion sick.

Others, don't mind a quick jerky motion, but find the slow up and down just horrible.

You have to find out what you tolerate well, and what you don't. I agree that the recent ear infection could well have been part of the OP's reaction, and also the antibiotics, which can interfere with your internal food processing.....

One thing I did learn, though, cold and fear both exacerbate seasickness. And a trick that worked for our sister in law one time. If it's only one person and there's room, set them on the downhill side of the boat, braced in by the heel angle, facing aft, and tell them to relax their stomach muscles and keep their head still, eyes focused on the horizon. It really helped her. [For me, if I tense my stomach muscles, I can make myself seasick, so have to keep track and relax them. Another thing that helps me is to hand steer the boat, it helps you concentrate on a lot of other things. And finally, if there's anyone reading this who is on HRT--well getting off it helped me lose mal de mer. Ymmv.]

Ann (the Stugeron kid)

PS. As a general plan, I do not think staying close to shore is a good habit to develop. For mindwip, for maybe a couple of trips, possibly okay, for developing confidence, but would feel really sad for him to become dependent on not being out of sight of land.

"Today's misfortune is tomorrow's adventure."
JPA Cate is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fun, sail

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: