Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 13-07-2017, 00:42   #16

Re: Fun day sail with seasickness

Yes I forgot to add, that's a good tip sleep the night before on the boat.

Bvisailing32 lots of good info. Some does not apply to me, most I do, and a few things to think about. You listed so many not going to break it all down haha. I do a checklist and safety briefing before sailing. But having this happen shows I need to add a few items to the list of things to review with crew.

And who can argue about sailing more!

Old 13-07-2017, 04:21   #17

Boat: Various

Seasick meds need to be taken prior to the trip.

Now, are you sure it was seasickness? Doesn't sound like it to me. Did you eat anything together before the trip? Or even at the same place? What about a fuel leak or fuel in the bilge or something? Or even a head or porta potti? Propane leak?

Old 13-07-2017, 11:09   #18

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Unless I'm mistaken most seasickness is from your ears and your eyes not agreeing on which direction is down and your body simply says I give up. So any ear infection exacerbates the issue.
Old 13-07-2017, 15:05   #19

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

It happens that people's bodies react differently to different types of motion.

A personal example, my body's fine with the slow up and down and gentle rolling of downwind sailing, but throw any jerky motion at it and I'm gonna be motion sick.

Others, don't mind a quick jerky motion, but find the slow up and down just horrible.

You have to find out what you tolerate well, and what you don't. I agree that the recent ear infection could well have been part of the OP's reaction, and also the antibiotics, which can interfere with your internal food processing.....

One thing I did learn, though, cold and fear both exacerbate seasickness. And a trick that worked for our sister in law one time. If it's only one person and there's room, set them on the downhill side of the boat, braced in by the heel angle, facing aft, and tell them to relax their stomach muscles and keep their head still, eyes focused on the horizon. It really helped her. [For me, if I tense my stomach muscles, I can make myself seasick, so have to keep track and relax them. Another thing that helps me is to hand steer the boat, it helps you concentrate on a lot of other things. And finally, if there's anyone reading this who is on HRT--well getting off it helped me lose mal de mer. Ymmv.]

Ann (the Stugeron kid)

PS. As a general plan, I do not think staying close to shore is a good habit to develop. For mindwip, for maybe a couple of trips, possibly okay, for developing confidence, but would feel really sad for him to become dependent on not being out of sight of land.
Old 15-10-2017, 08:42   #20

Boat: Still looking

Is it true that moving your feet or having wind blowing on your face and hair will help ease sea sickness?
Old 15-10-2017, 09:35   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carat View Post
Is it true that moving your feet or having wind blowing on your face and hair will help ease sea sickness?

Anything you believe will work, usually does.
Plus having the wind in your hair generally means your outside with a visible horizon, that visible horizon matters greatly to me.
Plus exposure, the more your on the boat, the less likely you are to get sick.
Old 15-10-2017, 19:02   #22

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

^^^^

Focusing on the horizon works for many people, and is all they need.

Over the counter meds work for many; you have to continue experimenting.

TransDermScop works for most. My doc told me to try it on land, first, because if you are in the portion of the population who it makes hallucinate, you don't want to be on the boat when that happens. Personally, i didn't like the side effects. The user's mmv.

For me, cinnarizine HCl, Stugeron, is the most user friendly drug I have ever used for motion sickness.

I would say my susceptibility to motion sickness is pretty severe. I have even got motion sick on a bus. So, in evaluating my responses in these threads, keep it in mind that for me, it is likely without medication, on any voyage. For me, the 3 day rule just doesn't happen, it is the jerky motion that will set me off, whenever it recurs. For me, even if I am already feeling bad, if I take one 15 mg tablet of Stugeron, and go to sleep for a half hour or so, i will waken and be okay.

Ann
Old 15-10-2017, 19:27   #23

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

There are lots of good suggestions posted here for seasickness. But rarely do I see mention of the most effective remedy....SINGING.

SINGING loud and strong baffles and soothes the inner ear. It also raises the spirits of the whole crew. I encourage you to learn the words to a few favorite songs, and sing. Quite often a few loud verses and the crew is good as new.

Seriously. It works.

I sang the entire Meatloaf: Bat out of Hell album across the atlantic on my night watches, until the skipper was so sick of it he forbade me to sing it anymore. But by then we had found a guitar and were making up our own songs. Great stuff.
Old 15-10-2017, 19:36   #24

Boat: Leopard 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRM-MYC View Post
I've never really had the experience, but I have heard of people completely getting rid of seasickness by simply jumping in the water. heave-to and take a quick swim if the water will allow.
I've heard the same thing from multiple people, and they were all adamant about it being the best single cure formation sickness. I would definitely try it if I am ever sea sick.
Old 15-10-2017, 19:42   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

I've taken many people to sea for their first time. If they do my recipe, nobody gets seasick. Take Dramamine the night before. Don't have greasy or spicy food that night. Don't get drunk either. The next day you can eat what you want and even if out for several days, don't usually need Dramamine again unless there's a major change in the ocean.
I was in the navy and sea time was in destroyers smaller than today's. I got sick with changes or if starting out in bad weather. Eventually I figured it out. Now I no longer get seasick. Maybe the drinking.
Old 16-10-2017, 18:09   #26

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
I sang the entire Meatloaf: Bat out of Hell album across the atlantic on my night watches, until the skipper was so sick of it he forbade me to sing it anymore.
yeah, I think that would cure the whole crew. Is that when they threw you overboard and that cured it?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2017, 18:27   #27

Boat: 1974 Bristol 27

For most folks, taking a half Dramamine on the way out does the trick.

For emergencies, the chewable dramamine pills work within a minute or so. I had to take one once while sailing singlehanded in 30 mph winds after sailing about 4 hours and just before blowing chunks.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Dramamine...&wl13=&veh=sem

It worked so well I took a second one and was having a few beers about an hour later as I was coming into my destination for anchoring
Old 31-01-2018, 06:02   #28

use one ear plug. Your brain will focus on that instead of balancing.
An Easy Cure for Seasickness? |
Old 31-01-2018, 12:59   #29
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Now you know that under some circumstances you are all vulnerable to sea sickness.

DO NOT randomly take serious meds like Scop. It is incredible--but read the contraindications and warnings, and especially with that med, take it AT HOME on a lay day so you can see how you react to it, and get medical attention if needed.

Dramamine and others are often just going to make you sleepy, and a crew that can't stay awake is useless. So, again, try it at home.

When in doubt, take seasickness meds a good hour before leaving land, to give them a chance to start working. The more often you are out, and getting used to motion, the less you will need the meds and the better you will get at saying "I don't need meds today". Hopefully.

Tags
fun, sail

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: