I want to share my first "experience" with a boat we just recently bought..
It's Vivacity 650, 21", bilge keel
, bought to learn sailing - you can't learn jut reading those forums
, can you?
We delivered the boat to our brand new jettie, and moored it for the night. Because it's UK east coast
, we do have quite a tide change here.
So night came in, and low tide came, putting the boat in the mud. Because we didn't know the relief below us, boat settled onto the slope, with the starboard side much lower than port..
So.. next morning we come to wait for the tide to rise, and find our poor boat lying on it's side. Not too dramatic, but still..
Finally the water
starts coming in.. through the drain hole in the stern, into the boat. Yay! Well, we think, nothing wrong with it - She will start lifting from the mud when more water
comes, and all the water will drain back.
But for some reason she doesn't - and more and more water .. We then open the cabin
, and find that half of the boat is already flooded, and water now also inside the boat, and quite a lot of it !
So we start pumping the water out quickly, and somehow it finally lifts off the mud.. it took us almost 2 hours to get rid of that water from inside the boat then..
We believe what happened is, when the boat was on it's side, and water started coming in through the drain hole, water level inside rose to the level, where it was possible for water to go inside the hull
, because there's a gap behind the storage
boxes, which alowed the water to go down into the hull
We've put a wooden cork now into the drain hole, just to prevent it happening when we're not there.. still doesn't look like it should have happened..
Kinda of design flaw..
I would love to hear comments on this..