Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2007, 13:05   #16
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Rick-
Very seriously, have your wife keep an extra eye on you and GUARD YOUR NOGGIN for the next week or two. A second bang on the bang within a few eeeks of the first one seems to cause much greater injury, even though you may feel fine go easy on yourself and make sure a second "Reset" doesn't happen.

While you may think you just slipped and fell, I know of several people who "just fell" as the result of blacking out for an instant from a TIA (aka mini-stroke) or heart problem, with no other signs or warnings. If they didn't give you an EKG and EEG and do some other peeking and poking...let's just say every year you get past 40, these things need to be considered more carefully.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 14:32   #17
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Antares View Post
Just make sure you do not siphon the holding tank by mistake!
Nope, I'll use the trusty ole' Shop Vac for that nasty job!
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 14:34   #18
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Rick-
Very seriously, have your wife keep an extra eye on you and GUARD YOUR NOGGIN for the next week or two. A second bang on the bang within a few eeeks of the first one seems to cause much greater injury, even though you may feel fine go easy on yourself and make sure a second "Reset" doesn't happen.

While you may think you just slipped and fell, I know of several people who "just fell" as the result of blacking out for an instant from a TIA (aka mini-stroke) or heart problem, with no other signs or warnings. If they didn't give you an EKG and EEG and do some other peeking and poking...let's just say every year you get past 40, these things need to be considered more carefully.
Thnx for your conscerne HS. We shall keep an eye on it although it'll be the cat looking out for me. Just dropped Knottygirlz off at the train station for a two week road trip. I go see the family sawbones in a few weeks I'll update him on the adventures. I don't think the hospital fwd's these things to the doc for his records.
Old 09-10-2007, 18:23   #19

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by knottybuoyz View Post
Although I'm trying to siphon the gas out of the boat, luckily it's raining so little chance of a spark causing an explosion!!!!
Did you say a lighting storm?
Old 09-10-2007, 18:50   #20
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
Did you say a lighting storm?
Nope no explosions. Still here! Even gave my neighbor some gas for his lawn mower! ;-) Should be 'nuff gas in the boat to get me through commuting till Xmas! *lol*

Although I don't remember all of what happened it was probably something like this....

Old dude falls from roof video
Old 09-10-2007, 21:33   #21
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Rick-
In recent years I've heard all too many hospitals tales of "records? what records?" and that's forgetting what's been lost or discarded as some docs retire, or simply throw things out after 4-7 years.
There are a couple of offerings on the US market, one from MedicAlert and the other from (shhh!) Microsoft, for medical record retention systems where all of your medical records can be FAXED to the repository they keep for you, so the original "point of service" can simply be instructed to "fax all records here" at the time of admission, and at that point you can keep them off-site or pull them into your own clutches. I'm trying to help my parents get organized this way now, with their records, eventually putting the important information on a USB dongle (a secured dongle, again available via MedicAlert) because sometimes the doctors ask a question...and no one remembers. Or, they forget to ask a question, and no one volunteers.

As medicine progresses the little things become more important, for instance, did you have chickenpox as a kid? Are you SURE? Because if you did, now you want a shingles vaccincation at age 60--to prevent the debilitating return of the same virus in the form of shingles. But how many of us remember what childhood diseases we got? And whose pediatrician is still in business?

All that good stuff.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 06:07   #22

Boat: Sunray 25' KnottybuoyzII
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
Hang in there Rick you'll have more adventures to come.
Sheez, I hope not! , this one scared the heck out of me! I think the hospital had a sense of what I'm dealing with, though. The head injury sheet that they sent us home with began with "when your child suffers a head injury...."

Lori
Knottygirlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 06:35   #23

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36
Thanks Hellosailor, Thats good advice. I have a stack of catscans & xrays I take with me when my back jumps ship. Having it in digital form would be nice for cruising.

Did not know about the Shingles vaccine. Wife got them a few years ago. Nasty stuff.

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2007, 02:10   #24

Boat: MonkCraft 18' Skin on Frame kayak - "Pigtail"
Getting that holding tank siphon started with the mouth would be a great suprise!
Lodru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2007, 02:52   #25

Boat: 34' Seafarer Ketch "Friea"; 30' SeaRay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodru View Post
Getting that holding tank siphon started with the mouth would be a great suprise!
Just don't forget to spit...
Old 20-10-2007, 03:41   #26
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannafish View Post
Just don't forget to spit...
And brush, floss & mouthwash! Ewe!