Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2008, 14:31   #1

Boat: Kanter Atlantic 45
Falling for another.

I have spent the last 17 or so years getting her ready to visit all the ports of the world, we were so close, but then I fell for another. They say the best day in a sailors life is the day you find her and the next best day is the day she leaves. Well thats just not true. My best day was finding her and my worst will be the day she sails out of my life. I guess all I want to say is think twice about falling for another, becouse starting over is always hard to do. Atlantic High (I'm starting over)
atlantic high is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2008, 15:30   #2

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
I have never agreed with that phrase either AH:

True buying a boat is way easier then selling a boat generally but its not the happy day feeling the phrase suggests..more of a relief from the drudgery of selling anything if your not a born sallesman... which I most definetly am not.

I care never to have another garage sale either...and have let my wife know that with a serious as a heartatack look in my eye...we have had one......enough said

So I have to ask you ....Why did you do it?

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2008, 16:06   #3

Why I did it?

She has beautiful lines and she wants to explore the world, very comfortable, safe and warm. And I know I can spend the rest of my life with her. How can anyone walk away from that. The journey is the thing, not the destination. "Holmer" Atlantic High
Old 28-12-2008, 16:11   #4

Is the new boat already outfitted to go?
Old 28-12-2008, 16:47   #5

Neglected

CruisingBeauty, she has been neglected, abused, and lost. I start the project in the spring, a full make over. I still have a dream and I need her to make it happen. Good luck with yours, keep the faith. Your father is in my prayers. Atlantic High
Old 28-12-2008, 18:38   #6

are you sure you dont have cold feet sounds like for 17 years you planned to go got ready and than decided to ditch all that work to start over and do it all over again. dont wait to long they all say i wish i had gone sooner sounds like your past due to go. good luck and work fast time dosent stand still for any one and who know what tomorrow brings.
Randall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2008, 18:54   #7

I love working on boats, even extensive refit projects. But I don't know if I could work for years on one without sailing her. My boat has been a work in progress for 23 years and from the day I got her, she was new and ready to sail. But I have been sailing or working on the boat on one project or another for almost every weekend for the entire time I own her.

If had done all that work in one stretch - say a few years of work and then gone sailing it wouldn't suit my need to tinker and constantly make things a bit better. My last sail was the end of October and I am very itchy to sail and it's not even January. hahahaha

Good luck and congrats on the new boat!
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2008, 06:28   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
I also love working on my boat....figuring out the best way or place or material or what have you....this is at least half of the boat experience for me....and yes, the pride I get from a job well done.
And in as humble a way as possible I can honestly say.....I swear...with an old boat it feels like I saved someone’s life...and I am the hero?
Atlantic High...send us some pics of your new patient?
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2008, 09:03   #9

Boat: Panda/Baba 40
17 years is a long time. If you have spent 17 years 'getting her ready' you might have to face the possibility that you are someone who likes to work on boats, rather than sail them. Nothing wrong with it, and several of my engineer friends do exactly that.

It might make you a happier person to acknowledge it. The idea of putting a boat together and then sending her off is an appealing one to many.

If not you, then "love the one you're with", raise the damn sails, and enjoy yourself for heavens sake! It's part of the male psyche to always want what we don't have. It's the brain's job is to overpower the 'heart'.
anotherT34C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2008, 11:47   #10

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by James S View Post
I also love working on my boat....figuring out the best way or place or material or what have you....this is at least half of the boat experience for me....and yes, the pride I get from a job well done.
And in as humble a way as possible I can honestly say.....I swear...with an old boat it feels like I saved someone’s life...and I am the hero?
Atlantic High...send us some pics of your new patient?

Well put James

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2008, 14:23   #11

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Atlantic High,
Everybody is assuming the subject is your boat, but are you speaking of your boat or

your wife?

Steve B.
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote