Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2016, 09:07   #136
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Re: Ever give up Booze?

Of course OJ will make you fat. Your body will go bonkers with the sugar hit, trygs will go up ping ping ping. Fatty Patty galour.

Wanna loose wait? SaltyMonkey knows. Loose 20 lbs fast fast
- Lower your meat intake
- No sugars; no dried fruits ether
- No rice, breads, pastries (these are the killers!)
- No alcohol
- No oils

Ok thats the ideal

Lets go to the reality video
- Eat occasional chicken, fish, egg whites.
- Mostly Tofu or "Better Meat" from WF is pretty nice.
- Veggies! (Brussel sprouts are filling)
- Fruits
- Kraut. beets and cabbage is nice.
- Some nuts like roasted unsalted almonds
- teaspoon of honey for flavour is ok in some things like oatmeal.
- vitamins

Aim for 1500 calories a day.

Your first week will be painful as you are addicted. After that, your head will clear. You'll be less hungry.

Boring? Yes but it works with little exercise or regular walking. You won't loose strength.

This is a variant of Fireman's diet.

OH important. If you go anywhere make sure you are upwind of Boaty
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 09:07   #137
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

My wife has started watching some Ozralite series about a woman's prison. I watched a couple episodes, and couldn't stop laughing. Totally unrealistic. But entertaining.
Old 05-02-2016, 09:24   #138

There are times that I don't feel like drinking. If during such a time, I find myself in a social drinking situation, it gets tiresome to have people encouraging me to drink and me having to keep turning down their offers.

My solution is to grab an plastic cup and fill it with water. I carry the cup just as if it had booze in in - you know the pose. Always have the cup more than half full of water. Nobody ever questions why I'm not drinking, because they don't know that I'm not. This trick works just as well if I want just one bottle of beer. When I've finished the beer, I refill the bottle with water. That way, people aren't thrusting bottles of beer at me, thinking they are doing me a favor.
jwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 09:34   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwing View Post
My solution is to grab an plastic cup and fill it with water. I carry the cup just as if it had booze in in - you know the pose.
Isn't it kind of sad, though, that you have to do that? Shouldn't you just be able to say "thanks, but no thanks" and leave it at that?

In a way I feel kind of sorry for the stupid schmuck who feels like he has to push drinks on other people. In another way I feel like telling him what a pathetic loser he is, and to go screw himself!
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 09:38   #140

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Ever give up Booze?

I saw someone driving a Smart car while smoking a cig. Something's wrong with that picture.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 09:40   #141
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Isn't it kind of sad, though, that you have to do that? Shouldn't you just be able to say "thanks, but no thanks" and leave it at that?
Yes but imagine being in a room full of people and they are all saying the same thing over and over and you:

"No thanks"

"No thanks"

"No thanks"

(tiresome)
Old 05-02-2016, 09:41   #142

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

This is fascinating stuff. Maybe it's been mentioned before, but I think it's a generational thing also. Not entirely, but a lot.

We're 60 and if we're hanging with people 50 and up they are always asking "What're you drinking?". If I'm not drinking and say so, the response can run the gamut from a puzzled look to a belligerent "Why not?" and stomp away they go to find someone more fun than me. (I'm fine with that, BTW).

If I find myself in a younger crowd I get responses that run the gamut from - nothing (after all I'm too old to enter their consciousness) to a smile and a "that's cool".

I'm more of a "As long as you're happy it's fine by me"/ If you want a drink - have one. If you don't - "that's cool". Just don't throw up on my shoes please.
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 10:01   #143

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
Of course OJ will make you fat. Your body will go bonkers with the sugar hit, trygs will go up ping ping ping. Fatty Patty galour.

Wanna loose wait? SaltyMonkey knows. Loose 20 lbs fast fast...
Yes, I have done a low carb diet. It does work. But it is a diet. Once the diet be done the fat comes back.

Don't want to do that game again. I eat pretty much low carb now but the beer is, well was, my main carb load. Thus it is gone at least for now.

The problem with diets is that people do not change their lifestyle/eating habits so that they are maintaining weight before going on the diet. They go on a diet, loose weight, and then go back to what they were doing pre diet and gain the weight back. They accomplished nothing.

What I have been doing for years is trying to adjust my lifestyle which mean exercise and food to maintain weight, maybe loose a bit, which I have pretty much done. But getting back to the weight I want, without going on a diet, has been difficult. Robust exercise and watching calories did not work. While I can do a low carb diet again, I would prefer to just modify my current diet to loose the weight which means drop the calories and carb in beer. We shall see if that works. It sure is saving some money.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 10:07   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
This is fascinating stuff. Maybe it's been mentioned before, but I think it's a generational thing also. Not entirely, but a lot.
I wonder if it is generational as well. I have never seen or heard anyone be criticised for not drinking.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 10:23   #145

The answer depends on what kind of cruising you do. If most of your cruising is limited to the marina, then yes, you will lose some friends. The guys I see at the marina all the time who never leave port usually have a morning beer rather than coffee. If you are at sea a lot, other sailors will respect you more for your judgement. Things happen fast out there and a clear head Is needed. I'm over 4 years sober and never regretted my decision. Rolling seas and a warm sun are the best high I can imagine.
medevicerep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 10:41   #146
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post

Why do non smokers have this compulsion to sit at the table next to one when there's 20 other tables in the courtyard and your the only customer and smoking when they arrive.. then start making offensive indirect comments about the smoke..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Chicken View Post
No, No! That's not how it goes Boatie! I walk into an eating establishment & immediately survey the terrain for smokers. Once spotted, I head for the furthest upwind table. Then, a whole flock of smokers come in & sit just upwind of me....

Ya do your best, but I swear your karma is gonna get you.
I'M GUNNA BE RICH!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Smoking Windex.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	118383  

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 10:42   #147
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post
Yes, I have done a low carb diet. It does work. But it is a diet. Once the diet be done the fat comes back.

Later,
Dan
*meep
Old 05-02-2016, 10:52   #148

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Gee this is worst than an anchor thread. For people that have "no problem" with drinking sure discuss a lot about it. In the late 70's I asked my close friends if they thought I drank too much. The answer was..."hell...we drink more that you do". That was 36 years ago and those acquaintances are long gone or dead in a few cases. Back then I talked about cruising some day and "pass me a beer". 36 years now with no mind altering substance and a Hallberg Rassy in Mexico getting ready to continue across the Pacific.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 11:31   #149

Boat: Albin 25

Apologies, but I can't stop myself:

lose not loose. Please?

I am going to drop the beer to drop the gut. Starting Monday!
Sunsetrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 12:13   #150

Greetings: I am descended from a long line of alcoholics. As a matter of fact, if you look at my family tree...it's actually a grape vine. My father ran someone down while drunk and killed them. He still couldn't give up the drink.;
I started late. Never had a drink until my 20's. Started with tequila and that was really all I liked. I just never had fun while drinking. I'm so much of a control freak that I can't relax until about an hour after I fall asleep.
One day a buddy and I were playing cards..and having a drink. We went through three bottles of tequila in about four hours. Three days later, I was still throwing up and decided it just wasn't worth it. That was 20 years ago and I haven't had a drink since. As I grow grapes and have access to cheap wine, I really wish drink did something for me. Someday I may try again.
On a final note: I worked for a recovering alcoholic who had lost his licence permanently. He told me that the brains of alcoholics are more efficient at converting booze to whatever it is in the brain that gives the buzz.
Cheers.
Goingbuddha is offline   Reply With Quote