Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-03-2016, 15:20   #331

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Re: Ever give up Booze?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Truth be told I aint that tough.. if I'd not been kicked outa the Navy I may well have gone over the edge in my efforts to 'Fit In'...
Once I'd finished my 18mths training in Ganges and Vernon I entered the mainstream with hardened old style Matelots.. 8-12 pints a night on a run ashore became the norm.. Scrumpy drinking contests in the Golden Fleece where the hard core saw the 1st to stop drinking paid for everyone.. some guys would heave up into their near empty pint and drink it.. any tactic to win.
I became an aggressive drunk who'd go wild and take on anyone in any number.. drowned and revived when I smashed up the Duty Officers station in Gibraltar and then tried swimming to Spain in my No1's for political asylum. Did every type of punishment they could throw at me.. the finale was Cape Town.. where after a crazy night and shining down the head rope of the Destroyer I was on and made a bid for freedom and 2 years in the SA Navy.
After serving time in MCTC Colchester it was Civvy St and I headed back to Portsmouth and the familiar pubs..
Got a job as a rigger in Pompey Dockyards.. Thursday afternoon would get my wages.. Tuesday morning would see me broke and hungry till payday when I'd gorge myself.. pay the pittance for me room at Aggie Westons (Navy YMCA.. I'd hung onto a spare Navy ID card)..
6mths of that and lots of trouble saw a visit by the cops one night to my room where it was basically leave town before noon or else..
No where to go home.. I headed for the car factories of the Midlands.. and 4 weeks sleeping in fields living on scraps and water till I started work and got my first wages got my head straightened a bit.. enough to see where I was headed and start managing my life.. and start using my rage a tad more constructively.. and.. I was 21.. time to grow up a bit.. lol
I'd not say I'm a Hard Man.. I lack the ruthlessness.. when sober..
Defiant fits the bill better.. And a little wiser.. I know where the edge of the abyss is and when to step back. Still have the boozers syndrome.. in fun company I'll drink till the bar close's..
I try stick to spirits on a session though as to much beer turns me nasty.
Nowadays I'm what they term a binge drinker.. go months with just a couple of small beers, a glass or 2 of wine now and then..
Then I'll finish a hard delivery and sometimes be out of my face for a couple of days after.. depending on if there's a 'good fun crowd' in the port..
Binge Drinking is the Buzz word these days I believe.
So.. I know my demons well.. and manage them.. as the jumper said as he went past each floor.. so far so good..
How have you managed to live to 68? or are you missing out all the good times in between

I hooe there's been some good times
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2016, 15:54   #332
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Ever give up Booze?

LOL... what skirmish..
He believes in science and chemistry.. I follow the natural order of the Wheel..
A mere exchange of opinions..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2016, 16:08   #333
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
How have you managed to live to 68? or are you missing out all the good times in between

I hooe there's been some good times
There's been a million good times.. and amazing people and places.. the above is just a handful of bad times interspersed with great times.. as that song goes..
"Even the Bad Times are Good..!!"
For example..
Bad time.. docking in Australia broke.. and getting screwed over by an owner..
Great time.. meeting 'Wotname' and some nice friends of his.. getting to sail the Oz Bight for him and spending time in Tasmania.. just think of all I'd have missed if the owner had not been an arsehole..
People are just so Negative about things..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
Old 26-03-2016, 16:28   #334
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Would anyone who thinks it all just a matter of self control like to explain why it seems American Indians and the Inuit seem to be predisposed to alcohol addiction?
We either have to think they are pre disposed, it's their environment or they just lack self control?

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2016, 16:37   #335
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Would anyone who thinks it all just a matter of self control like to explain why it seems American Indians and the Inuit seem to be predisposed to alcohol addiction?
We either have to think they are pre disposed, it's their environment or they just lack self control?

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Its the same with the Aussie aborigine.. a defeated and abused people.. loss of pride, land and heritage.. hundreds of years of slaughter and being treated like ****.. kinda puts one in that frame of mind.. one needs spirit to resist and theirs may well be destroyed.
However if given a fair deal there are examples of many that have pulled themselves up.
If you've never been treated like a piece of ****.. you'll never understand.

Old 26-03-2016, 16:44   #336

Quote:
Its the same with the Aussie aborigine.. a defeated and abused people.. loss of pride, land and heritage.. hundreds of years of slaughter and being treated like ****.. kinda puts one in that frame of mind.. one needs spirit to resist and theirs may well be destroyed.
However if given a fair deal there are examples of many that have pulled themselves up.
If you've never been treated like a piece of ****.. you'll never understand.
Ive done some studies in anthropology and you are pretty much on the right track.
Old 26-03-2016, 16:46   #337

Quote:
There's been a million good times.. and amazing people and places.. the above is just a handful of bad times interspersed with great times.. as that song goes..
"Even the Bad Times are Good..!!"
For example..
Bad time.. docking in Australia broke.. and getting screwed over by an owner..
Great time.. meeting 'Wotname' and some nice friends of his.. getting to sail the Oz Bight for him and spending time in Tasmania.. just think of all I'd have missed if the owner had not been an arsehole..
People are just so Negative about things..
Good to hear it boaty

This Tasmanian hole as you put seems someone to avoid. I bet he's a mainlander though
Old 26-03-2016, 17:08   #338
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
Good to hear it boaty

This Tasmanian hole as you put seems someone to avoid. I bet he's a mainlander though
Oh they were not Tasmanian mate.. former East coasters who'd moved to Perth..
Wottie was living there before retiring and moving to Tassie.. that's why I delivered his boat from upriver past Midland and down and across to Port Huon.

Old 26-03-2016, 18:25   #339

Well, after reading this entire thread I've decided not to drink anymore...

But I won't drink any less HAHA
Eder is offline   Reply With Quote