Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2016, 12:21   #226
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Ever give up Booze?

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_V_B View Post
It's not that simple. Moderate consumption of alcohol has positive health effects.
Just because I'm feeling argumentative, I'll point out that at least until the 1960's, cigarettes were considered to have healthy effects by many.

Now I drink moderately myself, but wouldn't be surprised to find that any studies showing the healthy effect of alcohol consumption, just might be funded by alcohol producers?

I remember a TV commercial that said that more Doctors recommend Chesterfield than any other brand if I'm not mistaken.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 12:37   #227
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Ever give up Booze?

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Just because I'm feeling argumentative, I'll point out that at least until the 1960's, cigarettes were considered to have healthy effects by many.

Now I drink moderately myself, but wouldn't be surprised to find that any studies showing the healthy effect of alcohol consumption, just might be funded by alcohol producers?

I remember a TV commercial that said that more Doctors recommend Chesterfield than any other brand if I'm not mistaken.
Ahh... that was before WD&HO Wills were bought out and absorbed into BAT... then the additives started.
Kinda like Austin, Morris, etc when they were swallowed to become British Leyland....

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 12:54   #228

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by astokel View Post
In Ontario, Canada the limit is 80 milligrams and you can lose your car drivers licence for operating a vessel under the influence.

What if you don't have a license...

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 13:03   #229
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:

then it's best to use the auto pilot whilst drunk

though on my catamaran I allways have lots of women to do the steering,i get the ugly ones to stay sober..........
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 13:19   #230

Quote:

It is a criminal offense as well.

Quote:
255 (1) Every one who commits an offence under section 253 or 254 is guilty of an indictable offence or an offence punishable on summary conviction and is liable,

(a) whether the offence is prosecuted by indictment or punishable on summary conviction, to the following minimum punishment, namely,

(i) for a first offence, to a fine of not less than $1,000,

(ii) for a second offence, to imprisonment for not less than 30 days, and

(iii) for each subsequent offence, to imprisonment for not less than 120 days;

(b) where the offence is prosecuted by indictment, to imprisonment for a term not exceeding five years; and

(c) if the offence is punishable on summary conviction, to imprisonment for a term of not more than 18 months.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 13:37   #231

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by astokel View Post
In Ontario, Canada the limit is 80 milligrams and you can lose your car drivers licence for operating a vessel under the influence.
Dude, I think you mean 0.08 80 and you would be pickled in a jar (and well and truly dead)
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 13:40   #232

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
In Canada, any level of impairment can be a crime.

Criminal Code
that's the same in Australia, which is what I was trying to say with being found under the influence. It is what makes the driving offence of DUI here. You don't have to be over the legal limit, just impaired.
Old 23-03-2016, 13:43   #233

Quote:
It's not that simple. Moderate consumption of alcohol has positive health effects. And I wouldn't know how to survive (and even have anything remotely approaching fun) at a party without some booze.

But then I come from a completely different culture with regards to alcohol than the the US. I remember when applying to participate in an exchange student program I had to fill out an (American English) form asking if I drank alcoholic liquor. I answered "no", because as far as I know, I didn't. Beer and wine wasn't liquor. That term was reserved (in our language) for distilled stuff, and I didn't touch that until I was in my thirties.

But wine and beer? No problem. The last time I ever drank coca cola in my life was when I was 13. Someday in that year my dad told me that I was now to old for soft drinks (which are for children) I could have a beer in stead. Took me some getting used to the taste, but you know how one is as a young teenager. You don't want to disappoint your dad.

Soft drinks are for kids. Comparing the general health of the population between say, France and the US I would say that sugar is a bigger health problem than alcohol...
Not wanting to outdo the Yanks, but Alcohol is a far bigger problem in Australia than the US. They just have a bigger population than us.

However, a world without drunks would put a lot of people, including me, out of a job
Old 23-03-2016, 13:47   #234
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
Not wanting to outdo the Yanks, but Alcohol is a far bigger problem in Australia than the US. They just have a bigger population than us.

However, a world without drunks would put a lot of people, including me, out of a job
watch out driverless cars are coming onto the market soon,you may still be out of a job...ever tried arresting a machine
Old 23-03-2016, 13:48   #235

So, Netherlands is 0.08

Australia 0.05 (it began at 0.1 in Australia, then when RBT's came in about the early 80's or late 70's it dropped to 0.08 and then to 0.05 in the late 80's. There have been recent moves afoot to make it zero, but so far they have been fought off).

Is it .08 throughout the US?

what is is in the UK?
Old 23-03-2016, 13:56   #236
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
So, Netherlands is 0.08

Australia 0.05 (it began at 0.1 in Australia, then when RBT's came in about the early 80's or late 70's it dropped to 0.08 and then to 0.05 in the late 80's. There have been recent moves afoot to make it zero, but so far they have been fought off).

Is it .08 throughout the US?

what is is in the UK?
0,08 in the uk,but if you live near the border with scotland watch out as it is now 0.05 in scotland
so effectively on winedy roads near the border you can alternate between drunk and sober depending on which stretch of the road you are on.......the law is an aassss
Old 23-03-2016, 13:57   #237
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

You can have my beer when you pry it out of my cold lifeless hand!
Old 23-03-2016, 14:08   #238

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post

I'm really curious to know 'what' positive health effects were cigarettes thought to have up until the 60's?

Yes, I know you can get so called medical professionals speaking on behalf of the tobacco companies, still can. Some people can be bought to say anything. But in mainstream medical world, when did the medical world ever suggest that in haling tobacco was positive?
Old 23-03-2016, 14:42   #239
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

[QUOTE=Rustic Charm;2079543]I'm really curious to know 'what' positive health effects were cigarettes thought to have up until the 60's?
/QUOTE]

Wasn't it like getting sex, or riding a horse, etc.? The people smoking always seemed to get to do all those things.
Old 23-03-2016, 14:51   #240
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Ever give up Booze?

If Humphry had not blown smoke in her face.. would he have got Bacall..??

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote