Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > The Sailor's Confessional
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2017, 11:04   #46

Boat: 1972. allied chance 30 30
Re: Ethics of protecting your vessel at anchor.

Sounds chilly..... Glad,sounds like you were lucky,and had a good man at the helm. Think I'll start posting with a question, instead of a statement. IE: if this happens, what is the proper protocol?
sailinbob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2017, 11:10   #47

Kind of hard when conditions are bad,and your a one man show. Picture yourself in a squall,rolling 20º , fending with a boat hook,tying fenders to the safety line,while holding your phone. The entire time listening to a pair of hulls grinding together. Maybe a helmet, and a Go Pro. I mean,if that were to happen.
Old 18-05-2017, 11:11   #48

Seriously, I'm out. Fair winds....
Old 18-05-2017, 11:21   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
If possible, i would have tried to pay out his anchor line with enough slack to continue with your original plan. OR, as suggested, tie a fender to the line, release it be retrieved....again attempting to go with your original plan.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
I understand the rest of your post, but this one has me baffled.

How would someone who is alone on his own boat get on the other boat and do this and then get back on his own boat?

The OP did all he could.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2017, 11:38   #50

If no other choice, I would have done the same. There are plenty of derelict boats that no one seems to check on much in FL. Getting your damage repaired from an owner like that (who likely has no insurance anyway) will be impossible.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2017, 12:47   #51

Boat: Shannon Pilothouse 38

I was sewing a cover for my steering pedestal yesterday and I had the thought of stitching my phone number in giant letters across the cover. In the end I didn't bother, but I wonder if it would be wise to make it easy for people to contact me in case of trouble. Does anyone do this?
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2017, 13:08   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
I was sewing a cover for my steering pedestal yesterday and I had the thought of stitching my phone number in giant letters across the cover. In the end I didn't bother, but I wonder if it would be wise to make it easy for people to contact me in case of trouble. Does anyone do this?
In todays world with a cell phone always in hand I think it's a great idea... if you put your cover on when you leave the boat even for a while. I have helped to rescue a few boats whose owners were living aboard but away from the boat when they dragged anchor etc. With a number and a cell phone I'm sure they could have rushed back.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2017, 14:25   #53

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
We know someone who has written his cell phone number large, and it is displayed in a clear "raincoat" on each lifeline gate. Many vessels here have a contact number permanently displayed. If you want someone to call you if your boat's in trouble, help them do it!

Ann
Old 18-05-2017, 15:13   #54
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
I'll preface this by stating that you are ultimately responsible for your vessel, as is the owner of the other vessel.

NOTE: It was stated earlier by another contributor that the vessel was 'abandoned'. There is a significant different between 'abandoned' and 'unattended'. We should be cautious about cavalierly interchanging the two words.

Hi Shrew,
I Agree with your first paragraph but have a comment on the 2nd.

I was the one who used the term 'abandoned' and I actually thought about it before deciding if appropriate

Whenever nature is threatening you should be on board to protect your vessel from any failure.

If you abandon that responsibility then that is what it is!

FYI, I have ridden out 5 Typhoons at anchor or at the Marina.
While well prepared, each time, from observations, I would learn from my preperations better solutions.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2017, 15:17   #55

Boat: Northshore 33 ft sloop

I carry a spare anchor.
Sure, cut his fouled line after attaching the spare to his bow and throw him off the stern. Retreive the fouled anchor. and swap it back.
Send him the bill.
I have been in both positions.
You need to be gracious and he needs to be responsible.
mawtty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2017, 17:29   #56

Boat: Catalina 350

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailinbob1 View Post
Appreciate the feed back. Still feel kinda like a heel.
Don't feel like a heel. How would you feel if you were on the other foot, pardon the pun, that is you owned the other boat? You'd likely feel like a heel busting someonelse's boat. As the man says "***** sometimes happens". Let it go, sorry another pun, and busy yourself with positive things to do.
Seas the Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2017, 17:31   #57

Thanks. Plenty of other things going on,for sure. Again, thanks.
Old 18-05-2017, 21:53   #58

Boat: 2017 Beneteau 38.1

Gee whiz.....Leaving your boat at anchor unattended during a storm, doesn't seem very prudent to me. I could never do that.
rickdamico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2017, 05:53   #59
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Can't speak to whether the OPs actions as I wasn't there. One does have a responsibility to protect their vessel and crew. One also has a responsibility to assist others in need of it on the water.

I don't really understand the notion the other owner was doing something wrong by not being present. There is nothing wrong with leaving a vessel unattended at anchor. There is a responsibility to ensure your vessel is properly secured whether aboard or not.

It also makes no difference what the value or perceived pride either owner had in their vessel. One should always do the right thing, without this kind of judgement.

In an emergency the first priority is to protect people and the next, property.

If all was done that was safely possible to protect another persons property in an emergency, that is all that could be done.

In any event, an unattended adrift or grounded vessel should be reported to the coast guard, so they can take action to help minimize any further emergency, safety risk to others or additional damage to the vessel.

Whether you report the bit about cutting the anchor line is
up to you.
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2017, 20:22   #60

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

I think the cell phone number idea is really great. I make sure the harbormaster and owners of surrounding boats have mine, and I leave it on the dashboard of my car when we need to leave it more than a day or two so the cops (or any other interested party) know it's no abandoned.

So why not leave it on the boat too? Never thought of it but it makes sense. I think I'll add a P-touch label to the inside transom of my dinghy, and the top of its outboard too.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, rot