Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2015, 07:54   #136
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Re: Dumbest thing you ever did?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanibel sailor View Post
Dumbest thing lately was making some teak cabinetry on my table saw and got my non-dominant left index finger slightly too close to that part that goes around and around.
Ummm I've been seeing this a lot lately. Best practice is to use a small piece of wood to push the main object toward/through the saw, but I see a lot of folks using their left hand. Drives me crazy.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2015, 08:06   #137

Boat: Ta Yang, Fantasia 35

On a research cruise, I was using a cardboard test-tube holder for running chemical reactions. The cardboard got really wet from the seawater and I needed to dry it a bit. So, I thought, "put it in the oven for 5 min and it will dry a bit". Turned the oven on, put the thing in, and promptly got distracted by other tasks. I was reminded that it was in there when the skipper stomped down the stairs, opened the oven - smoke pouring out into the cabin - took out the smoldering cardboard, disposed of it, and stomped back to the helm. All this with out a single word. No words were necessary. It was stupid enough not to need any words.
LekiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2015, 08:13   #138

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
Best practice is to use a small piece of wood to push the main object toward/through the saw, but I see a lot of folks using their left hand. Drives me crazy.
Which I do.
This was actually on the retrieve motion.
And I did not mess up my workpiece.
sanibel sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2015, 09:09   #139

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanibel sailor View Post
Dumbest thing lately was making some teak cabinetry on my table saw and got my non-dominant left index finger slightly too close to that part that goes around and around. Interesting thing is that i use power tools frequently, generally am pretty safe, accept risks without thinking much about it and am not "superstitous" or have much regard for such ideas. But last night before it happened, I had a premonition, just a thought that I would get hurt.

Just nipped my fingertip, trimmed my nail longitudinally back about halfway, not meat lost although my nail may be a little goofy. Bandaid. Could have been a lot worse. Mostly humiliating for being so stupid and careless. Have not had the guts to tell anyone yet.
You are not alone. I ran a curf up two fingers. A dirty rag of the floor of the garage and in the house for bandaides. Went to the ER a week later at the wife's suggestion. Nothing they could or needed to do. I have a slightly pointier index finger since removing a third of the bone. So we can feel stupid together.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote