Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2016, 16:25   #166
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Gulf Coast
Boat: Morgan, OutIsland, 41
Posts: 107
Re: Dont tell anyone, but I think the earth is flat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cards26 View Post
If the world were flat, a person could sit in California with a telescope and see Hawaii....but you can't do that.
We that doesn't prove anything.

Everbody knows that things appear smaller the further away they get.

Hawaii is just soooooo small you can't see it anymore.

And there are satellites up there. They just go around innna big circle over us.

And the moon and sun at the same time, thing....

Well that IS just plain weird......

I did sail off the edge one time but that is another story......
__________________

__________________
Thorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 16:28   #167
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,105
Re: Dont tell anyone, but I think the earth is flat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorne View Post
We that doesn't prove anything.

Everbody knows that things appear smaller the further away they get.

Hawaii is just soooooo small you can't see it anymore.

And there are satellites up there. They just go around innna big circle over us.

And the moon and sun at the same time, thing....

Well that IS just plain weird......

I did sail off the edge one time but that is another story......
Even physicists are saying we live in a two dimensional hologram within a flat universe. So the Earth has to be flat.
__________________

__________________
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 18:14   #168
Senior Cruiser
 
StuM's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Port Moresby,Papua New Guinea
Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43
Posts: 6,515
Re: Dont tell anyone, but I think the earth is flat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
Even physicists are saying we live in a two dimensional hologram within a flat universe. So the Earth has to be flat.
Except for the ones working on superstring theory who postulate 10 dimensions
__________________
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 18:29   #169
Registered User
 
adoxograph's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: ɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ 'ʇsɐoɔ ǝuıɥsuns
Boat: Landlocked right now.
Posts: 355
Images: 1
Re: Dont tell anyone, but I think the earth is flat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Except for the ones working on superstring theory who postulate 10 dimensions
Yes, but some physicist prefer the bosonic string theory, where space-time is 26-dimensional
__________________
“As for me, I am tormented with an everlasting itch for things remote. I love to sail forbidden seas, and land on barbarous coasts.”
― Herman Melville, Moby-Dick
adoxograph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 18:42   #170
Registered User
 
kenweaver75's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Oakland, CA
Posts: 1
Re: Dont tell anyone, but I think the earth is flat.

I've met Buzz Aldrin. He didn't strike me as the kind of guy who would keep a secret for almost 50 years. Here's a nice, rational take on the flat earth humbug:

https://skeptoid.com/episodes/4521

I actually find it offensive when people take one of the most amazing accomplishments of the human race (the moon landings) and use it as "evidence" of some sort of medieval nonsense. But having read the original poster's messages I think this is all meant in a satirical way.
__________________
kenweaver75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 19:26   #171
Senior Cruiser
 
StuM's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Port Moresby,Papua New Guinea
Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43
Posts: 6,515
Re: Dont tell anyone, but I think the earth is flat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adoxograph View Post
Yes, but some physicist prefer the bosonic string theory, where space-time is 26-dimensional
Useful in basic theory, but it describes an unstable universe. The absence of fermions makes it unrealistic.
__________________
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 21:10   #172
Registered User
 
adoxograph's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: ɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ 'ʇsɐoɔ ǝuıɥsuns
Boat: Landlocked right now.
Posts: 355
Images: 1
Re: Dont tell anyone, but I think the earth is flat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Useful in basic theory, but it describes an unstable universe. The absence of fermions makes it unrealistic.
Yes, I'm with you here. I'm not fond of string theory per se, even I appreciate the elegance of the mathematical solution it is based on.

String theory can't be proven or disproven (yet).

So lets stick to a flat Earth. But don't tell anyone I said this otherwise they cut my research funding (mapping of young pre main sequence eclipsing binaries)
__________________
“As for me, I am tormented with an everlasting itch for things remote. I love to sail forbidden seas, and land on barbarous coasts.”
― Herman Melville, Moby-Dick
adoxograph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 22:02   #173
Senior Cruiser
 
StuM's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Port Moresby,Papua New Guinea
Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43
Posts: 6,515
Re: Dont tell anyone, but I think the earth is flat.

> they cut my research funding (mapping of young pre main sequence eclipsing binaries)

Ah-ha, That explains it. Clearly, you're one of those in the pay of NASA and the others concocting false "evidence" in an attempt to discredit platygeism!
__________________
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2016, 09:53   #174
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 37
Re: Dont tell anyone, but I think the earth is flat.

All joking aside I am convinced the earth is in fact not round. Certainly not like images (supposedly) taken in space always depict.

I have lived in the high arctic close to the pole and can tell you the earth is most definitely not round. I've heard it described as more an oval shape, but even that does not explain the anomaly I witnessed.

Case in point. On a clear day my co-worker walked directly away from me and within about a mile of linear distance he disappeared over the horizon. This was always a safety issue when mobile because you literally couldn't see anyone or anything further away than that. If my tracks were erased by blowing snow, without definable landmarks there was no certain way to find my way back to base.

Compare this to the ability to see landmarks for many miles distant at lower latitudes. Photoshop or its equivalent has been space travels closest friend from the very beginning.
__________________
Trust your heart if the seas catch fire, live by love though the stars walk backward.
e.e. cummings
SeeLevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2016, 10:01   #175
Registered User
 
Caribbeachbum's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Nashville
Boat: Kelly-Peterson 44
Posts: 152
Re: Dont tell anyone, but I think the earth is flat.

Not round, nor spherical, even. I believe the phrase that best describes our planet is "oblate spheroid." Like me, it's fatter in the middle.
__________________
Caribbeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2016, 10:14   #176
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 37
Re: Dont tell anyone, but I think the earth is flat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caribbeachbum View Post
Not round, nor spherical, even. I believe the phrase that best describes our planet is "oblate spheroid." Like me, it's fatter in the middle.
Presumably observable from space. If so, what is the penchant for nice round pics of earth??
__________________
Trust your heart if the seas catch fire, live by love though the stars walk backward.
e.e. cummings
SeeLevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2016, 10:51   #177
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,105
Re: Dont tell anyone, but I think the earth is flat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeLevel View Post
All joking aside I am convinced the earth is in fact not round. Certainly not like images (supposedly) taken in space always depict.

I have lived in the high arctic close to the pole and can tell you the earth is most definitely not round. I've heard it described as more an oval shape, but even that does not explain the anomaly I witnessed.

Case in point. On a clear day my co-worker walked directly away from me and within about a mile of linear distance he disappeared over the horizon. This was always a safety issue when mobile because you literally couldn't see anyone or anything further away than that. If my tracks were erased by blowing snow, without definable landmarks there was no certain way to find my way back to base.

Compare this to the ability to see landmarks for many miles distant at lower latitudes. Photoshop or its equivalent has been space travels closest friend http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...nonono.giffrom the very beginning.
Same thing happens when my wife walks towards the shopping center. Completely disappears at the end of the parking lot.

Much prefer to be at sea where there are landmarks in all directions and nothing goes over the horizon.
__________________
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2016, 12:11   #178
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: SoCal
Boat: Formosa 30 ketch
Posts: 329
Re: Dont tell anyone, but I think the earth is flat.

If you can see an 0.3% bulge in the NASA pictures, then your computer has better resolution than mine.
__________________
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2016, 12:21   #179
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Nanaimo BC
Boat: modified Spray 56' oa
Posts: 349
Re: Dont tell anyone, but I think the earth is flat.

Light can be bent/refacted/ reflected by boundary layers of moist air or temperature differences over not too great distances.Reflection of sky on ice can fool you too. just seeing what you think you see doesn't mean you saw what you thought .
__________________
topmast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2016, 13:11   #180
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Slidell, La.
Boat: Morgan Classic 33
Posts: 1,056
Re: Dont tell anyone, but I think the earth is flat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Seal View Post
If you can see an 0.3% bulge in the NASA pictures, then your computer has better resolution than mine.
Which is round? One is about 2 percent larger in one direction.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	square.png
Views:	31
Size:	8.0 KB
ID:	129711   Click image for larger version

Name:	ns.png
Views:	31
Size:	7.0 KB
ID:	129712  

__________________

__________________
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
U.S. Coast Guard boarding experience (not typical i dont think) natraps116 Our Community 316 21-05-2017 06:52



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:14.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.