Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > The Sailor's Confessional
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-04-2016, 15:22   #1

Dont tell anyone, but I think the earth is flat.

Mainly because there is absolutely zero physical evidence suggesting otherwise.

All the pictures of earth we've seen are fakes. NASA "practiced" every Apollo mission at Epcot Center at Disney World. Which happens to look like outer space inside.

We haven't been back to the moon(if we ever went).

The constellations have not changed position since we began navigating by them over 5k years ago. Yet everything is moving away from the center of the galaxy at millions of miles per hour...

No one is allowed to go to Antarctica, Antarctica isn't it's own country even though it's a huge island the size of Asia. With mountain ranges 10k ft high and geothermal activity making it warm and semi tropical in places. Huge natural energy sources like coal abound. Yet it's all untapped. And it's all protected by the longest upheld treaty of all. And it's protected by the US, Germany, China, Japan, Argentina, the UK and Australia. Countries that don't always get along, especially when the treaty was first started in the late fifties. All while not allowing any military games or training or fighting in the waters around it. (Who tells the US where they can play with their guns)?

Also, a big reason, Flights from Argentina to Australia have made emergency stops in Alaska/Seattle/San fransico. Why so far north when they should fly over Antarctica to save fuel and time.

Even Einstein said our astronomy can not be explained.

I'm wondering if those who wander where maps and control don't go have seen anything that made them think one way or another.

Please don't argue points, this is for fun only.
Deep Blue Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 15:41   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Dont tell anyone, but I think the earth is flat.

Here ya go.

The Flat Earth Society
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 15:43   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Blue Blues View Post
The constellations have not changed position since we began navigating by them over 5k years ago. Yet everything is moving away from the center of the galaxy at millions of miles per hour...
Ah everything is moving away in the universe not the galaxy. The stars in the milkyway are rotating around the core black hole at the center that every galaxy has.

Myself I try not to sail too close to the edge of the earth. Mind you that parallax thingy where ships sink lower as they get further away is a pretty good proof that the world is round. Something Eratosthenes of Cyreneworked out a while ago.

Still if a flat earth works for you, its ok with me.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 15:54   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Meh, bunch of haters sitting at their computers having never once explored to find out.

Anyone ever seen the full moon and the sun in the sky at the exact same time? Or seen the moon during a solar eclipse? How can we see the moon at all if the sun lit side is on the side the sun is shining on?

Why do eclipses last a few minutes when regular lunar cycles last 24 hours?

Why do people in Florida see the sun eclipsed from top to bottom when the folks in Hawaii see it from east to west? They're almost the same parallel...

Why does the entire world see the same side of the moon? It rotates like a disc but not a sphere.

Like I said. Pointless to argue but entertaining none the less.
Old 22-04-2016, 16:10   #5

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

Two days ago I was walking back to the boat and the sun was still up and the full moon was well risen in the sky.

I cannot verify this as my only witness was my dog and she has made a solemn vow not to swear to anything.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	china.jpg
Views:	518
Size:	340.9 KB
ID:	122997  
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 16:26   #6

If the world were flat, a person could sit in California with a telescope and see Hawaii....but you can't do that.
cards26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 16:30   #7

Boat: Cascade 36

I distinctly remember spending parts of 2009 - 2011 in Antarctica with lots of other people. Very interesting telling the time of day by what part of the sky the sun is in. Pretty cool place over all.

The three or so months of darkness can definitely mess with you though.
Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 16:33   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
Two days ago I was walking back to the boat and the sun was still up and the full moon was well risen in the sky.

I cannot verify this as my only witness was my dog and she has made a solemn vow not to swear to anything.
Is that a Westie pup?
Old 22-04-2016, 16:43   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post

See the redhead gets it. If the moon was full two days ago while the sun was in the sky, why isn't the moon full every time the sun is in the sky at the same time? It's clearly not the shadow of the earth making the moon phases.

Call myth busters.
Old 22-04-2016, 16:43   #10

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

Quote:
Originally Posted by giant View Post
Is that a Westie pup?
I don't think so. A rescue about 5 years old that those that know say has Chinese Crested and some kind of terrier. Next to the boat refit the biggest challenge I've ever faced in my life. But she's getting better.

On edit: Oooops just realized a Westie IS a terrier. So ,,, uh,,, yes.
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 16:49   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
I distinctly remember spending parts of 2009 - 2011 in Antarctica with lots of other people. Very interesting telling the time of day by what part of the sky the sun is in. Pretty cool place over all.

The three or so months of darkness can definitely mess with you though.
Yeti are you a scientist? How did you get permission to be there. I want to go so bad!

And we're you allowed to travel further south than the 70th parallel. That's forbidden to all by the Antarctica Treaty.
Old 22-04-2016, 16:50   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Even Einstein said our astronomy can not be explained.
Don't you mean "astrology" ?
Old 22-04-2016, 17:03   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cards26 View Post
If the world were flat, a person could sit in California with a telescope and see Hawaii....but you can't do that.
The king of rock and roll, Elvis, had to help prove your point.

CBS had broadcasted from atop the empire state building and received a clear signal in Honolulu, proving earth was flat by accident.

To cover their tracks the king performed the first ever concert via "satellite" record from Hawaii the next year. He was televised around the world from Hawaii claiming that it was being done via satellite.

Satellites were invented by a novelist about ten years before that. So they must have moved fast to invent rockets to get them into space as well as the units themselves. Quite a feat just to play some music...

And consequently, a very long time ago, they put a flag on a dinghy and pulled it through a canal six miles away and the telescope saw every inch of the flag which is impossible based on the amount of curvature the earth supposedly has.

Unless the earth is ten times the size they say it is. But then why would they say the earth was smaller than it is?

I love walking these insane lines of thinking. Stretches the imagination.
Old 22-04-2016, 17:06   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Don't you mean "astrology" ?
Astrology is the study of astronomy. Astronomy is what we see. The astronomy doesn't make sense.

I think. I was quoting a genius. I'm in no way a genius.
Old 22-04-2016, 17:16   #15

Boat: Cascade 36

Quote:
Yeti are you a scientist? How did you get permission to be there. I want to go so bad!

And we're you allowed to travel further south than the 70th parallel. That's forbidden to all by the Antarctica Treaty.
I was a contract FF/Paramedic at McMurdo Station for two Summer seasons and one winter. I REALLY enjoyed my time there and I highly recommend it if one is in a position to do that kind of thing.

McMurdo Station is 77 Degrees South and the South Pole Station is located as described (though it does "drift" a little bit each year). I certainly do not know the Antarctic Treaty that well but I would guess they got past the nobody south of 70 degrees part you're talking about.

Your best bet to get to Antarctica is through employment at McMurdo Station. They need all kinds of people with all kinds of skills. Lockheed Martin (Antarctic Support Contract · Lockheed Martin) is the primary support contract or at this time though there are other smaller companies that get subcontracted as well. One example would be PAE for the fire protection (and many other things) part of the deal.
Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote