Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2012, 17:58   #31

Boat: csy 37
Re: Don't quit yet, but here some advice...

kettlewell, i think you nailed it.

richard5, to summarize your post -

attitude. the difference between an ordeal and an adventure.

and my own advice to anyone who feels down on their luck -

it's not too late to live happily ever after.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 18:13   #32

Boat: Block Island 40

Damn man, some of you guys must not have much to do. Why do guys want to bag on a guy for sharing his experience? WTF?
Grow up and get over it.
Corpus had a dream and he had the courage to follow it and execute it. It sounds like he also realizes that others have the same dream and he decided to be kind enough to share the WHOLE truth of his experience. Sounds to me like he suggested going with a bigger boat. He also mentioned not to get too hung up on the sailing part and that other aspects are more important to focus on in order to make it more enjoyable. The dude makes a good point.
Anyone who jumps in and decides to talk trash about a guy for sharing his experience is a turd and should keep their opinions to themselves. (i.e. "rebel heart")
Thanks Corpus. I can totally relate to much of what you stated in your post. I just happen to be one of the guys who kind of enjoys those bad times too (in a wierd way). I don't mind the bad times because they make the good times that much sweeter.
Thanks for the post.
Old 05-11-2012, 19:05   #33

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Well...Not quite sure where you get off my friend but you are doing exactly the same thing you accuse other posters of doing...Bagging on the posters here. This is the Internet...the information highway...be it good or bad. Perhaps you should not be barking in our backyard when you have bones in your own.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 19:05   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corpus View Post
-The ocean is never flat, and the wind will always be against you. It was for me and it probably will be for you. Even if you don't get seasick, pounding into waves crawling your way up-wind just isn't very fun (the smaller the boat the worse it will be).

-Invest in a good dinghy, with a good motor. Rowing to shore in a kayak against the wind with your grociers getting all wet kind of sucks. Sitting on your boat all day eating stale crackers and peanut butter sucks more.

-It can be boring, especially if your alone. Yes the water is beautiful and there are time when it is amazing, but a lot of the time it's boring. Eventualy the novelty wears off and you're sitting alone in a piece of fiberglass with nothing to do but look at the same water all day long. Then you get to port, a storm hits and you have to ride it out for three days in your boat because there is no way you could row your kayak in that water. (Longest three days of my life)

-There aren't sandy beaches where you can tie off to a coconut tree everywhere, or anywhere (at least not in the keys). You're going to have to go to designated anchorages, many of which aren't very exciting at all.

This is what I want the truth about. I am very concerned about the last item since I don't see random boats tied off the coast of nice beaches (although I will say that my beach experience in southern Florida is not existent). I am also concerned about the regulations, fines, and clearances (although to a lesser extent)

I am also worried about waves, and would get a catamaran at a minimum.

While the Keys and Miami might be all about the 'rich' boats and catering to people with money to spend, I would like to be able to get away sometimes, yet be in big cities other times.
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 19:30   #35
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevil View Post
This is what I want the truth about. I am very concerned about the last item since I don't see random boats tied off the coast of nice beaches (although I will say that my beach experience in southern Florida is not existent). I am also concerned about the regulations, fines, and clearances (although to a lesser extent)

I am also worried about waves, and would get a catamaran at a minimum.

While the Keys and Miami might be all about the 'rich' boats and catering to people with money to spend, I would like to be able to get away sometimes, yet be in big cities other times.

Neither Miami nor the Keys are "all about the rich boats and catering to people with money to spend." You can HAVE that kind of Miami if you want, and I'm sure it's available in the Keys, but not the Keys I've visited and not the Miami I have visited extensively lately. The boat I've been working on is in the Dinner Key mooring field and there's a whole bunch of ordinary people who keep their boats there. There's something for every budget in Miami. The Keys are more expensive but islands are always more expensive, and you can still have a good time there on a moderate budget. Been there, done that.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 19:46   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by flink View Post
Anyone who jumps in and decides to talk trash about a guy for sharing his experience is a turd and should keep their opinions to themselves. (i.e. "rebel heart")
And anyone calling other people names for giving their opinion is...........

Coops.
Old 05-11-2012, 20:11   #37

Boat: SAGA 27 AK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corpus View Post
Are you planning on taking some time off, maybe a year, maybe fovever, sail down the carribean and if things go well, cross the Panama canal and just keep going? Ya so was I, here's what I've learned.

Blah blah blah blah

-The moral of the story is: buy a power boat, better yet, convience your friend to buy a power boat. While sailing my sailboat I was passed by many a power boat full of girls in bikinis hanging over the sides, not one sailboat though. So don't give up. I certainly don't regret my adventure, but it wasn't at all what I expected.
Fair warning of your own unfortunate taste of the cruising life, but with limited experience in terms of expectations, distance sailed, places visited, and people met. Why not try sailing in company and give it another try, maybe to the Bahamas this time, or even get together to charter in the BVI with a group of friends on a bigger boat with more headroom, and also get to swing on a hammock whilst watching your boat at anchor.
Old 05-11-2012, 20:13   #38

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown

Last summer, my sons and myself climbed a pretty big mountain.

We found out we under estimated the skills required, the physical shape we should have been in to start, the effects of AMS (altitude sickness), the weather, the conditions at the top, etc.

Frankly, we were not prepared, but despite the challenges, all three made it to the summit.

When I finally reached the top, my head was pounding, my vision blurred with black spots and I couldn't shuffle more than 50 paces without having to take 50 breaths to "breath normal". As I looked down at the trees that looked like blades of grass below, I could have sat up there for days just to look at the same scenery.

Corpus, I can't think of any part of that ascent and tag it as "fun", comfortable or even easy (especially the descent). But I can tell you there ain't many people that have done what you have done, or been where you have been, and I know more than a few that wish they could be bored for three days on a boat in the Florida Keys. Each to his own.
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 20:23   #39

[QUOTE]Well...Not quite sure where you get off my friend but you are doing exactly the same thing you accuse other posters of doing...Bagging on the posters here. This is the Internet...the information highway...be it good or bad. Perhaps you should not be barking in our backyard when you have bones in your own./QUOTE]

Ha!

Sorry Celestialsailor. I didn't realize this was you backyard. Looks like the internet has given you quite the ego. BTW, what sort of bones do I have in my backyard?

I have respect for the OP and others who follow their dreams.

There is a difference between those who critisize people that follow their dream and share the experience for the BENIFIT of others....and those that critisize the little pests that do so.

Even your screenname "celestialsailor" suggests you need recognition that you may own a sextant.

Please don't misunderstand me; I actually like guys like you. You represent the other end of the spectrum. Without guys like you at the bottom, Guys like Corpus would have nothing to judge themselves against.

That's all I'll say. I'm done.
flink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 20:48   #40

Boat: O'Day 28

I actually did LOL when someone called Rebel Heart a turd. Rebel was right tho'. This poster didn't do his prep work. Couple of other turds made the same point.

He was unprepared for a two-week cruise in protected waters in spite of his ASA courses. He didn't know jack and paid for it. Three days holed up in a small boat. No beer, no babe, no book? Just stale crackers. Who'd go to sea again after that ordeal? Damn!

Still, I'm glad he told the turth. It was an enjoyable read.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 21:24   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by flink
Damn man, some of you guys must not have much to do. Why do guys want to bag on a guy for sharing his experience? WTF?
Grow up and get over it.
Corpus had a dream and he had the courage to follow it and execute it. It sounds like he also realizes that others have the same dream and he decided to be kind enough to share the WHOLE truth of his experience. Sounds to me like he suggested going with a bigger boat. He also mentioned not to get too hung up on the sailing part and that other aspects are more important to focus on in order to make it more enjoyable. The dude makes a good point.
Thanks Corpus. I can totally relate to much of what you stated in your post. I just happen to be one of the guys who kind of enjoys those bad times too (in a wierd way). I don't mind the bad times because they make the good times that much sweeter.
Thanks for the post.
I'm a turd?

Well that works for me. I'm a turd sitting on a nice happy boat in Mexico with my nice happy family. Had steak tonight, some shrimp, and I think we're doing huevos rancheros in the morning. My big obstacle tomorrow is deciding whether or not I should take the two diesel cans with me on the way to the laundry or if I should make two trips out of instead.

There's a "reply" button when you start a thread and there are no rules that say everyone has to agree with you. I'm not a fan of message boards that crap on everyone as a matter of practice, but nor is there any reason to sugar coat and pat people on the back when they make poor decisions.

"Buy the biggest boat you can" ? Really? That whole "sailing isn't that hard thing" is going to get a lot more interesting when you're behind 50' of boat, nevermind your wallet.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 21:28   #42

ok, I'll give you that. you make a valid point.

Well put.
Old 05-11-2012, 21:32   #43

But don't just jump on a guy and trash him for getting into something that he basically admitted he didn't know what he was getting into when he did it.. He just wanted to share with those who may be considering the same and tried to warn them that it ain't all rainbows and sunny beaches.
Old 05-11-2012, 21:36   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by flink
But don't just jump on a guy and trash him for getting into something that he basically admitted he didn't know what he was getting into when he did it.. He just wanted to share with those who may be considering the same and tried to warn them that it ain't all rainbows and sunny beaches.
I think I jumped on him because people read that stuff and get scared. There's enough real stuff that needs attention without making up new ones that were more-or-less self inflicted. This forum does a lot to motivate new people (it did for me), but you're right, there's value in his post even if 3/4 of it is from the replies and commentary.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 21:46   #45

ok, you're not a turd.

Enjoy your eggs tomorrow.