Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-09-2010, 03:26   #1

Don't Blame Me !

I used a charter co that I had been using for 5 + years. I arrived in Primosten marina in Croatia to what I was told was a brand new yacht, Juneau sun odyssey 32.2, when we arrived back a week later and my many comments on "no way is this brand new" I continued to ask for my final inspection and deposit card slip back but was told not to worry. I I have been sailing many years and had a slight suspicion which was confirmed when I got a phone call from my man! "you damaged the boat" he claimed the keel had bad impact damage and did I know. "Rubbish" was my reply and I made my concerns felt that the yacht was not new and had 160 NM on it when I got on board. She looked new but looked like she had had a hard week of work with scratched areas and food in the cupboards etc I knew it had been used. I questioned why they would not inspect the yacht before I left they brushed it aside. The harbour masters report came back and my log proved I was innocent of any shallow water incident and showed I had been in minimum 5m. The final out come was they admitted that the persons using it the week before me had hit something and they thought they would pass the blame to the next idiot who came along, unknown to them I had also been under the boat the first day and wrote in my notes a white damaged area to the front of the keel and I took a pic of it, the camera showed the pic was taken one hour after me leaving the marina when I did what I always do, fully inspect the boat from top to bottom and make notes and take pictures. I was cleared of any involvement in the damage and offered a week free on a 38 footer by the same charter company but I declined the offer. I have not used the same charter company since. A note to new skippers to beware, most charter companies are fine and honest but not all so do as I have always done. Check it as soon as you can and take notes times and dates as well as photo evidence.

El Capitan
el capitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2010, 06:03   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, El Capitan.

Congratulations; your due dilligence allowed you to dodge the bullet.
Charterers take note.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2010, 06:52   #3

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Hi El Capitan,
Well done for not being taken in.
But why not name the charter company? I
'm sure they'll not sue anyone from Croatia even if they could (which they can't if the story is true).
And it just might help other forum users when it comes to choosing a Croatian charter company........
JOHN
Old 19-09-2010, 11:19   #4

John,

I can asure you it is true but my man had never used them before and said he would not use them again, maybe I should name and shame but im not that kinda guy. I think the staff had done it and said nothing waiting to blame the first mug who came along, that mug just happened to have a bit more than sailing experience behind him. Could have been worse but the stupid thing is we all pay insurance and they obviously hadnt.
el capitan is offline   Reply With Quote