Join CruisersForum Today

Old 06-10-2007, 19:15   #16

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach
Flying Pigs abound

Hello, flyingpig,

Welcome to the fraternity :{))

Another "Skip" would be an entirely eerie coincidence...

Skip, currently finishing the day from the Seven Seas Cruising Association, and back to the remainder of the Annapolis Sailboat Show...

Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC
See our galleries at Web-Folio -- Your Portfolio on the Web !
Follow us at Flying Pig Log | Google Groups and/or
TheFlyingPigLog : Morgan 461 Hull #2, Flying Pig

"You are never given a wish without also being given the power to make it come true. You may have to work for it however."
"There is no such thing as a problem without a gift for you in its hands. You seek problems because you need their gifts."
(Richard Bach, in The Reluctant Messiah)

skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 19:45   #17

Boat: NorSea 27 & Albin 25
My rule of thumb for 45+ years of "messing about" has always been: Never, ever approach a dock at a speed faster than you are willing to hit it.

Bob Hartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 19:35   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!
Originally Posted by Bob Hartman View Post
My rule of thumb for 45+ years of "messing about" has always been: Never, ever approach a dock at a speed faster than you are willing to hit it.
Yup - It wouls seem obvious but...

This weekend we had one come in apparently relying on reverse for a fast stop. The engine died somewhere between forward and reverse followed by a crunch.

At first the dock boys tried to fend her off - then they ran for their lives. The guy bitched because the dockboys didn't stop his boat.

Relax Lah! is For Sale <--- Click
Click--> Custom CF Google Search or CF Rules
You're gonna need a bigger boat... - Martin Brody
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 11:58   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"
I found that the second time docking a new to me boat in 40 gusting to 60 at a strange marina, ya best be quick when reverse fails while your facing downwind as ya slide by the intended slip. Luckily, there was just enough time and room to spin her around and nose back past the slip for a hard left and a soft landing on the fenders in that NASTY crosswind. It was nice that seven strangers were on the dock to help. Four days later on a much calmer day, reverse once again failed to engage and I almost tagged the stern of a neighbor while I was looking under the cockpit seat trying to straighten out the cable to shift. No harm, just kissed the dock with the bowsprit cable at about 1/4 knot.
CharlieCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2007, 02:03   #20

Boat: MonkCraft 18' Skin on Frame kayak - "Pigtail"
My first big sailboat, a 1963 Wooden 26' Thunderbird. Before that I sailed a Laser and on my fathers 20' Santana. As kids we had the job of dad bringing her in slow, the kids jump off as soon as we can, grab the bow and stop the boat in time. It was fun.

Upon bringing my new boat home, I pulled up and had my partner jump off to stop the boat. Well, 4500 pounds is different than 1200, and ym friend is not as strong as I am. Well. I ran her square into the dock with a good BAM!! But thats okay.. there was already some storm damage in the stem that came with the boat. I can fix both at the same time :-)

Thants not as funny as coming into the same slip, with the same friend, on our 1960 22' woodie cabin cruiser. We had just cuised home in cold weather and there was still some ice on the decks. As I pull her in and he is scooting out on the narrow little deck along the edge of the cabin I see him fall off, first the knees go by, then the belly, and finally the face with some of the biggest eyes I have seen into the Columbia river (which is damn cold in December). I run back to see if he is okay, run forward to slam it in reverse before hitting the dock and stop her, run back and haul is wet butt back in and run forward again to dock her. Okay fiend, you gotta get rid of those 20 year old 'favorie' treadless deck shoes. THey are more like skiis than boat shoes!
Lodru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2007, 08:34   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Anchored somewhere in the Canadian Gulf Islands, East of Vancouver Island
Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer
Tried out the docking simulator. My boat handles a lot better than that one. That one handles like a planning boat I once had. My slip is similar to the one next to the end on the starboard side. Coming in before I reach the entrance to dock at 4 knots( my min speed with twin screws) I shift into neutral and coast all the way until I am able to swing hard to port just before my slip. I then use only the shifters (wheel being at neutral position) and back into the slip. If there is a cross wind I use the bow thruster to keep the bow from wandering south.

The basis of accomplishment is in never quitting
Mengzi Meng-tse
Lancerbye is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: