Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > The Sailor's Confessional
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-12-2015, 23:14   #1

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989
Do you DECORATE your boat, and HOW?

Decoration: the Art of upgrading your boat-look, both on/under deck, with fancy, elegant,obviously safe and not-obnoxious details aiming at various FEEL-GOOD effects, as below:

- this is My Boat
- on board I am free to experiment
- I like it! Not any more white plastics, shining chrome layers, ordinary finish/materials
- that's a memory of That Place
- I made it! Or, a great craftsman made it for me
- I can take it away whenever I want..

OK, I do not mean adhesive plasters, or fridge magnets...

But, I happened to revolutionize interiors, and keep doing it...
E.g.
New table, in exotic wood, of different shape and size (smaller!!, and how dumb are rectangular tables on board!!), and now on a different position too... is an example..

Die-cast art deco ballerinas (dancers) glued on wood panels

Cooler box and cordura angling bags on deck, to provide extra storage (ropes, lines, hoses...)

So many details in wood or SS for practical use, all around, e.g. leather-finish on handles...

Some new tiles around kitchen, and antique mirrors, and bed curtains, and....shower box decors (waterproof leather)
Last idea is to fix a squared wooden open box on deck to stowe dinghy (rolled up) in some more elegant way than usual.

Please, let me know if anyone is foolish alike :-) and do provide your own experience (or.. temptations) about it all

And yes, I am more prone to aesthetics than to functionality, in a way... (Soo what?) boating must remain a personal pleasure, so far safety is not dented, isn't it!?

Boats used to sport works of art, paintings, custom features (bronze), and memoirs from distant places...so it is nothing new, just a forlorn attitude vs. wishing to show carbon fiber wheels or labelled glasses and fender covers...(all things I can't stand...)
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2015, 23:55   #2
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now skippering Syd Harbour charters
Re: Do you DECORATE your boat, and HOW?

Our Admiral is very keen indeed for our beloved vessel to look good...and our product range -- We only promote products we use ourselves on board -- reflects the 'fruits' of her efforts. Decorative ideas include...
If you are interested, we would be happy to offer some suggestions tailored around the specific 'look' of your vessel. PM us with a photo.

So as you can see Thunderbird, we whole heartedly join you in embracing the 'feel good' effects you note.

Wishing you fair winds and following seas whenever you are afloat...and safety and good health always.
D&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2016, 08:56   #3

Boat: The Walrus

Is this what you mean....I painted this on my Genoa last summer
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	23-07-15_1648.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	241.7 KB
ID:	121441  
Old 26-03-2016, 12:18   #4

WOW Flint...!!! How did you get it!? It looks tribal, native American or from aborigines :-)

I mean... today I embarked two golden frames to host mirrors in the companionway. They are 200+ yo

I found some fossils ranging from 60m to 220million years ago, and have them around (fixed).

Hatches will have brand new massive wood finish rim... (ANY boat sports just plywood...)

Considering the interest into THIS post, I assume people have little interest in upgrading boat into the realm of artistic pleasure, or aesthetics...,... nor just simple curiosity :-P
Old 26-03-2016, 12:30   #5

We don't "do" TV on the boat. We found a beautiful and soothing picture/painting of a gaggle of small sailboats cruising into a harbor and framed it nicely and mounted it on the bulkhead.

KISS, we simply hate trinkets and clutter, on the boat and at home.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2016, 12:48   #6

Pirates thought otherwise!

Any boat should sport a painting, imo
Old 26-03-2016, 20:38   #7

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
Do you DECORATE your boat, and HOW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
Is this what you mean....I painted this on my Genoa last summer

Flint, just curious, what kind of paint did you use and how is it adhering to the genoa?

Nice design by the way.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2016, 04:49   #8

Boat: The Walrus

Hi Tbird & Tayana

It's fabric paint I bought at Michael's Crafts. I traced the outline of the image onto the sail by hand then filled in working it vigorously with a round tipped brush. Let it dry in the sun for a day, then flipped it over and did the other side.

At the end of the season it still looked great. No peeling or flecking at all. The Walrus does have a roller furling so that may have helped.

Old 27-03-2016, 07:43   #9

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post

Hi Tbird & Tayana

It's fabric paint I bought at Michael's Crafts. I traced the outline of the image onto the sail by hand then filled in working it vigorously with a round tipped brush. Let it dry in the sun for a day, then flipped it over and did the other side.

At the end of the season it still looked great. No peeling or flecking at all. The Walrus does have a roller furling so that may have helped.

Thanks, Flint, looking good.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2016, 09:03   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

I took a waterproof chart and glued it to the salon table and then varnished over it. I also used a south pacific chart as wall paper, placing it on the bulkhead between the main cabin and head. Really brightened up the cabin.

Of course new curtains "Tropical Parrot" and new Salon covers, re-varnishing interior wood, etc.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2016, 17:38   #11

Boat: 38 roberts ketch

I used a local harbour chart for wallpaper around my nav station - looks great and quite handy for a quick look if i'm thinking of anchoring somewhere new. I treat every little job that comes up as an opportunity to improve on the aesthetics of the boat as well. What i love is the need to work within a very restricted form - boats have a long history and tradition as well as being a very limited canvas, so its quite a challenge to improve and innovate without slipping into kitsch or just overdone. But the fun is in using beautiful materials - wood, steel, copper, rope, leather - to their best advantage but in keeping with the look and purpose of the boat. Love it when an old salt stops by to comment on some pleasing little detail, almost as much as when i overhear some gussied up lubber describe it as a 'dirty old boat'
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2016, 17:59   #12

Boat: a sailing boat

I do not decorate our boat but I like to see other boats decorated. I think it is pretty cool when a boat looks like a place where there are humans onboard.

I sometimes use tokens, sort of like a well dressed man may be wearing a fine tie or a watch, to show their pedigree and class. So you will find Andersen winches, North sails, as well as bronze (chromed) cleats on our deck. Small details that tell the story to the discerning eye.

There are many ways to decorate a boat. Sure decorate yours.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2016, 04:16   #13

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

First off, I'm not a finish carpenter by any means, although I did work as one for a summer or two. I tend to focus on the mechanical and functional parts, and hate the detail of finish work.

That said, I'm kinda proud of some improvements I've made. I found a place (front panel express dot com) that makes control panels to your specs. You design them on the computer and send the design file to them. I made two small ones for my electrical panel area, and one big one for the engine controls on the flybridge:

I'm also getting into working with PVC board (Starboard, Azek, etc.)

I made a mounting table for our new grill that attaches to an aft railing, and a stowage compartment to fill a hole a PO left in the flybridge bulkhead.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2016, 04:31   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

A little art deco, pinup style... Dingy inspectors and converted wall sconces from Depot...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Artwork-Sconce 1 .jpg
Views:	231
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	123066  

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2016, 11:12   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliehows View Post
I used a local harbour chart for wallpaper around my nav station - looks great and quite handy for a quick look if i'm thinking of anchoring somewhere new. I treat every little job that comes up as an opportunity to improve on the aesthetics of the boat as well. What i love is the need to work within a very restricted form - boats have a long history and tradition as well as being a very limited canvas, so its quite a challenge to improve and innovate without slipping into kitsch or just overdone. But the fun is in using beautiful materials - wood, steel, copper, rope, leather - to their best advantage but in keeping with the look and purpose of the boat. Love it when an old salt stops by to comment on some pleasing little detail, almost as much as when i overhear some gussied up lubber describe it as a 'dirty old boat'
Rope, mainly that looking like hemp/juta, stays fresh, and adds a nice look.
My second anchor is secured to the toe rails with this.

Dutch work-boats and lancers sport it on bow... :-)

Leather, if thick, remains fresh, tidy, soft even when used outdoor, though many 'experts' believe otherwise (wrong!)