Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-04-2016, 15:48   #16

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Dear Santa...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Blue Blues View Post
Yes very much actually. I really like the Peterson's in the 30-40 ft range.

They seem to be the least likely to get caught on a line or net. The stout skeg protecting the rudder... but they run deep for a fin. I want to get into the Caribbean at some point.
Oh that's different, yes the C&Cs are going to run deep too. You may want to look at designs like the older Columbias, Morgans or Tartans with centerboards. Most of them have a good rep for build quality and sailing ability. Or a multihull? If I had the money and I lived in Fla, I'd REALLY be tempted by a tri for sale I just heard about:
1982 Hudson River Boat Builders Trice III sailboat for sale in Outside United States
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 16:23   #17

Boat: Pearson Countess 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul J. Nolan View Post
No. The rest of the world is ignorant and many are stupid, to boot. Let them have their too high, too wide, and waaay too ugly multihulled gin palaces, their Eurotrash floating condos incapable of passing a windy night at sea without dropping their keel or having their ruddershaft go adrift. They are welcome to them. There are a few of us though, a dwindling few, who remember when genius walked among us. Herreschoff, Alden, Rhodes, Stephens, Hunt and many others routinely filled our harbors with craft of breathtaking beauty, speed, power, seakindliness and seaworthiness. Now...just memories. Soon enough, the memories will be gone too.

A lot of things are better now than when I was young and some things are much better. But we lost many wonderful things along the way, apparently forever. Full-time, stay-at-home mothers, safe streets, and CCA boats are only a few.

Paul
But some of are the fools who love the older boats. Mine now:

And my old boat:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3682452_3_20110802072250_0_0.jpg
Views:	460
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	122998   Click image for larger version

Name:	CCF05032013_00001.jpg
Views:	412
Size:	406.3 KB
ID:	122999  

sailor1924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 16:29   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Oh that's different, yes the C&Cs are going to run deep too. You may want to look at designs like the older Columbias, Morgans or Tartans with centerboards. Most of them have a good rep for build quality and sailing ability. Or a multihull? If I had the money and I lived in Fla, I'd REALLY be tempted by a tri for sale I just heard about:
1982 Hudson River Boat Builders Trice III sailboat for sale in Outside United States
What a cool boat. I wouldn't dare take it on a long passage though.

I'm interested in centreboards. Its just difficult because I've had one bad experience with them. When I was kid, a series of events occurred that ended up getting me washed overboard because I was unable to raise the centerboard. Scarey swimming for your life at 9 yrs old.

I love the concept though. Shallow at home, deep in the deep.

It's hard to find a good build for centreboard boats. I love the new Seawards vertically retracting keels but they are out of range for my budget.

Morgan's are great if you get one from the seventies. And I've actually found a C&C custom with a fun keel that has a centerboard that rotates out of it. Alas, they leak don't they?
Deep Blue Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 02:30   #19

Dear Santa...

Dear Santa,
Please bring me the slip number to my new love, preferably a heavy lass, beautiful lines and a cabin that makes sense~ Hans Christian, a Nautor 43 - I trust your judgement. I've been exceptionally good this year, (so far). I hope this is adequate notice for you to make the arrangement.
Gratefully,
Brandi
Old 09-05-2016, 02:24   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernSeaWolf View Post
Dear Santa,
Please bring me the slip number to my new love, preferably a heavy lass, beautiful lines and a cabin that makes sense~ Hans Christian, a Nautor 43 - I trust your judgement. I've been exceptionally good this year, (so far). I hope this is adequate notice for you to make the arrangement.
Gratefully,
Brandi
Go ahead and double that order Santa. I'm a good boy too.
Deep Blue Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 04:14   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Blue Blues View Post
Thanks Don, It has a balsa wood cored deck as far as I know.

Are you saying that fast and cruising don't go together comfortably? Fast are flat and cruisers are full keeled?

I've got a bad back. Is a C&C going to beat me to death?
It also has a balsa cored bottom ....... thats' what is going to beat you to death and why they are so cheap, re-coring the bottom ...... 100k !
Old 13-12-2016, 15:37   #22

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

This would do in a pinch:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160909_100411.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	350.0 KB
ID:	138009  
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 16:26   #23

Boat: a sailing boat

Dear Santa!

PLS get my present clients off my back BUT please make transfers from their accounts to mine continue. Thank you Santa! I will send you a postcard from West Indies, one with nude girls, when I get there!!!

PS If you can't do this much, PLS bring me a frosty sixpack. THX

Yours,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 16:57   #24

Boat: 2019 TBD

This Bounty is mine dream. And only $25k. Just 3 years too soon....

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1959...s#.WFCYurU77YU
Old 14-12-2016, 04:31   #25

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Dear Santa,

Please have your elves complete the refit of my boats, including materials, and all maintenance for the next 5 years.

That should keep the little buggers out of trouble in their off season.

😃

And BTW since you are flying that sleigh undetected around the world...I also have a few importation requests.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2016, 04:42   #26

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
😃

And BTW since you are flying that sleigh undetected around the world...I also have a few importation requests.
What if the reindeer thing is really just deep cover for Santa's real mode of transportation?
Maybe Santa is really a sailor.....
Old 14-12-2016, 05:45   #27

Boat: 1973 Easterly 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
It also has a balsa cored bottom ....... thats' what is going to beat you to death and why they are so cheap, re-coring the bottom ...... 100k !
No not all C&C had balsa cored bottoms. Most to start with were cored to about 4 inches above the water line. Get a good survey and make sure the hull is sound and dry and you'll be fine. There are many solid examples of this lighter and stronger hull design that are in great shape for good prices. There have also been others where due to neglect and or damage that the core starts to rot. Just depends how far it's gone and where. Doubtful you'd ever have to re-core an entire hull but spot repairs could be possible.

Later C&C's in the late 70's and early 80's did start to have a fully cored hull, very few were done with balsa below the water line though. J boats did this too. I do know of one Jboat that was for sale in the Muskegon area in Michigan that did need most of it's hull forward of the keel recored. It was for sale for cheap.

There is a C&C custom 41 or 43 in Torrensen Marina in Muskegon MI, very well taken care of boat. Not sure it's actively for sale currently but it never hurts to ask.
Old 14-12-2016, 07:44   #28
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i been threatened with a christmas present this year--we see if is reality or imaginary.

i know i am not the only one happy with situation and choice in cruisers. damn these fat bottomed heartshaped transom girls are awesome as long range sailing craft.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2016, 09:18   #29

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Dear Santa... I wish for everyone to feel the way I did the day this picture was taken...Cruisers & Sailing Forums - Don C L's Album: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1, hull #37 - Picture
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2016, 09:25   #30

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
What if the reindeer thing is really just deep cover for Santa's real mode of transportation?
Maybe Santa is really a sailor.....
Damn...I was hoping for fast delivery.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote