Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > The Sailor's Confessional
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-02-2019, 15:38   #196

Boat: Kristen 52
Re: Dating sites for sailors looking for companionship and love

I met my (now)wife on lovesail.com, I had given up on dating sites, forgot to delte profile on lovesail. One day an email shows up....and we are now in our fifth year of cruising.
I think one needs to be lucky and the timing has to be right.

Cheers
Old 29-07-2019, 15:30   #197

Sorry to dredge up an oldy but a goody but best to use existing threads.

To me it seems there two best sites for those looking for romantic crew (if possible) are lovesail.com and findacrew.net

How do you find which has the largest database of users?

lovesail is cheaper and SEEMS more romance oriented and I SEEM to see more people on there, but findacrew has a PIV system, which you pay for that supposedly confirms your identity which takes that part out of it for you, although Ive never had a problem meeting someone and sussing them out etc.

At this stage it looks like lovesail is the winner to me.....
LuvSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2019, 21:39   #198

Good luck to you all. Met my wife of eight years on fitnesssingles.com and she is le love of my life. I'm a retired Coastie living on a 36' Jeanneau in San Diego and she wanted to learn to sail. She was a water baby -- swimming, water polo, life guarding, power boats, wind surfing -- and took to sailing like a champ. We're now chartering a Jeanneau 44DS and she can do anything on the boat that I can do (almost).

Good luck to all - don't settle for anything less than a partner that challenges, complements, and excites you.
jmorrison146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2019, 01:38   #199

You won't get to find out the database size, this is a closely guarded secret for sites like this. As far as I'm aware, FindaCrew is mainly for crew but Lovesail is more dating and friendships. They have a crewing section where the members will post social crewing trips. Also I think Lovesail have a forever membership so you don't have to keep paying.
LadyGib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2019, 05:30   #200

Boat: Freedom 38

And then there are those like me who put up a profile a while back just to browse the eye candy but never set up an account and never deleted the profile. I'm also pretty sure some "share" their profiles with other sites to make it look like they have larger membership numbers. That's all rather immaterial though because what probably matters more is how much effort you put into it and how determined you are to find someone.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 05:26   #201

I tried lovesail. no joy whatsoever there, I think the women post their profiles and then forget about them. i get some responses, but not quite the women I am looking for.

It is hard as I am an early 40s man, although I look early 30s, and Im looking for late 20s to late 30s as I want a family.

I also love to sail, Im not sure how serious the people are on sailing on the site. But I state I want to sail the pacific as its my back door, out north east to french polynesia, follow the islands into some amazing places in Indonesia etc, then across to Hawaii, always been a dream of mine, Ive sailed to and from there many times but for delivery of vessels. My Dad did this with me as a kid and I was always wanting to exlplore these big volcanic islands, then through panama to bahamas, then across to the med and pick up some friends in spain and greece. I will have NO time frame, all I know is you have one really good go a this, so see all you can.

Planning to change boats and downsizing from a Amel Super Maramu to something fast and light and nimble that doesnt require gas in 5 knots, something like the Seawind 1160 lite, they are also super cheap compared to what you get from Outremer for similar performance, twice the cost imo.
LuvSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 05:43   #202

Boat: Pearson 365 and Jeanneau 371

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
Other than the opportunity for regular sex (oxymoron that the statement is), I am conflicted as to why people need to couple. As someone who stays single for long periods of time, I date, I hang out with friends, i enjoy a diversity of activities with guy friends and girl friends, I stay busy, I leave for days/weeks at a time, I call my own shots. The longer I do this, the more I wonder why I would want someone "full time" in my space. I'm not an angry person, I don't hate men (au contraire), but the guys who are single at my age seem to have a lot of issues such as too much drinking, their health is ****, sucky demeaner. I know I'm generalizing in a pathetic way, but the "good ones" seem to all be married and are completely under-appreciated by their wives (and vice versa but it's usually the guys I hear this from). The longer a couple is together, the more they seem to diminish each other's desires -- again, in an over-simplistic generalistic way of speaking -- but people who are happily coupled do not realize what a rare thing they have.

And... I think I agree with you, being one of the good ones that isn’t-but the rareness of the happily partnered is best recognized by those who tried and that have friends who they admire for having achieved it. Once, when talking with a friend that I was also doing some work for, he said “I heard you’re getting married this weekend” (my first and only time, since then not) and my reply was, “yes, no big deal I’ll be back to work in a few days” and he looked at me in the most serious of ways and said: “it’s the biggest deal you’ll ever make”. His wife later put a hit contract out on him. True story. Scary stuff, “regular” (definitely oxymoron) sex notwithstanding.
piloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 20:05   #203

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha h aha
all men are sooo full of ****
they just looking for another possession.
ha h ah aha ha ha ha h haha ha

Hell, I was just looking to get lucky (or unlucky-I’m not sure I can tell the difference anymore til the dust settles.
Old 07-08-2019, 20:30   #204

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
I think the OP was asking about dating sites....not why some of us are single. Match and OKCupid (which is free) probably have the most members. For these to work, it's best to meet and not spend a lot of time emailing or agonizing over profiles. Just make sure you're very specific about your desires for a sailing partner and don't get too wrapped up in why people don't respond. Just move on. For sailing specifically, I suggest trying singleandactive or the plethora of "adventure seeking" date sites. In addition to the time involved meeting and getting to know online people, you have to be willing to be vulnerable for it to happen easily and that can be hard to do for many females, especially those who are independent and managing on their own terms. Many of us are probably also single for reasons of attitude and a hard past. It's hard to make yourself vulnerable after a certain age....

Jeeze Gama, aren’t we all vulnerable from the same conditions? See, I hope you stumble (the stumble bumble method) into someone who you appreciate and that appreciates you. To all others, the same and carry on......
Old 07-08-2019, 22:02   #205

Boat: Freedom 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by piloto View Post
Jeeze Gama, aren’t we all vulnerable from the same conditions? See, I hope you stumble (the stumble bumble method) into someone who you appreciate and that appreciates you. To all others, the same and carry on......
Mmmm, maybe; maybe not. Was listening to one of my favorite podcasts today that talked of new research that suggests our approach to relationships is very much colored by our first experiences. The study had something to do with rats' attraction to other rats in jackets so some inferences were made to humans, but the premise is probably accurate as to why some choose to not pair up and are more cautious than others. I'm mostly ambivalent about dating, but I'm also more self-satisfied with my life than I've ever been before so I'd be remiss to mess with that status quo. It would be a very big bumble indeed to stumble into someone right now
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 04:49   #206

Well, at least there’s the irregular sex to fall back on. The attraction part seems more or less instinctive, spontaneous and a matter of timing. Sharing the same interests helps and being open to the vulnerability through exploration takes a bit of courage. As to ambivalence about dating, I guess I am too. Working at it too much can wear one down and take away from the joy you might feel.
Old 06-09-2019, 14:54   #207

Boat: AMEL
pirate Re: Dating sites for sailors looking for companionship and love

i know this is old and im new here- are you looking for someone to date manawatuman?
ana402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 02:29   #208

Boat: MacGregor Venture 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosatte View Post
buy urself a dog and forget about it
This is the best advice. this day and age you're just opening yourself up to a myriad of hell and problems. Won't be able to do what you want anymore, you'll have a critic standing by you all the time looking for fault then possibly will end up doing your friends or running off with the neighbors who knows... It's just a liability and a risk. You get one life and one body, if you gamble it and share it with the wrong person you might lose it like I did.
killyourguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 02:32   #209

Boat: MacGregor Venture 25

Lol hahahaha
killyourguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 21:17   #210

What do you mean by "lose it like I did"? You're still alive right? Isn't there still time? I ask because I am 48 and feeling like I am losing mine or have lost 20 years of it.
Carolina Blue is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail