Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 27-06-2012, 07:30   #46

Ok, sounds like you have a plan. But, we need to talk about the elephant in the room. Money!

1. Tell your boss now! If he says thank you get out and this impacts your future plans, well you weren't ready to go.

Therefore, augment your plans so that the day you leave you are set. Now, that's when you give 60 days notice. If they say bye fine. If they see it through put the money away for a toy or a gift for the wife to give to her your first beautiful sunset anchorage.

2. Do absolutely ask for the leave of absence. You can come back if you want. If they say no, your in the same boat. Sorry had to add one pun.

3. Have fun

Old 27-06-2012, 11:25   #47

Boat: Island Packet 35 Cutter Rig
Re: Confession: Haven't told boss I'm quitting to go sailing

I was offered a CFO position which meant I would have to work 24/7 and I turned it down and went sailing. It was the best decision I've ever made, wouldn't change it for the world. We will begin our second season sailing this winter. Its amazing how you can live with so much less and enjoy life so much more!! Go and enjoy sailing, you won't regret it and by the time you get back the economy will be better and you will have even more opportunities! ENJOY Life, its supposed to be that way!

Old 04-07-2012, 21:57   #48

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38

I'm a grunt for my company, and they value grunts about as much as a paper clip or pencil. So....

I wouldn't tell them jack. I work afternoons, and the first thing they would know about me being gone is coming in next morning and finding my personal effects gone and entry pass in my desk along with the keys.

No quarter asked, none given.
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:08   #49
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreKai View Post
I'm a grunt for my company, and they value grunts about as much as a paper clip or pencil. So....

I wouldn't tell them jack. I work afternoons, and the first thing they would know about me being gone is coming in next morning and finding my personal effects gone and entry pass in my desk along with the keys.

LOL! +1

And higher up the greasy pole, for some it can be quite a surprise to find that as soon as the notice goes in, let alone when starting to leave that you quickly cease to be the highly respected figure of authority that others defer to and respect - for most, if not all!, as the power ebbs away to others (always another ass who wants to be kissed!). Kinda like the Army I guess, folks salute the rank - not neccessarily the person wearing it, even if the wearer thinks that is the case.....

In a well run (larger) organisation ain't no one irreplaceable (and IMO none should be!) - but that can be kinda brutal to realise!

As you say, No quarter asked, none given.....IMO the only exception being if you are in a job you would still turn up for if the money stopped.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:54   #50

Boat: private yacht always moving

Quote:
Originally Posted by riversandbar View Post
I have to make a confession... I haven't told my boss yet that I am quitting to go sailing in the Caribbean for a couple of years.

Was made a Director in March.... now I am too scared to tell them we are heading out to go sailing in November.
director of what,,that makes the difference in amount of notice,,got a contract????
Old 05-07-2012, 03:04   #51

Boat: private yacht always moving

1. Tell your boss now! If he says thank you get out and this impacts your future plans, well you weren't ready to go.

In this economy?????/boss would most likely find a way to fire you,,, not that that has ever happened
Old 05-07-2012, 13:32   #52

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreKai View Post

In some businesses, professional references count. If/when the OP comes back to his industry looking for a job, his new employer/headhunter will ask for the names and phone numbers of people from his last job. Not the job before that, not somebody you know from another company, but supervisors and co-workers from THAT job.
Old 05-07-2012, 15:05   #53

Boat: Union Polaris 36

If you are a Director, why can't you do everything through email from your boat. If you are a managing director I guess that's a different story.

I vote leave it to as late as possible, leave and never look back. To many what if's, leave as much to your control as late as possible, and ask for no favours.

Life's a dream, live it!
youmeandthed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 15:22   #54
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtM View Post
In some businesses, professional references count. If/when the OP comes back to his industry looking for a job, his new employer/headhunter will ask for the names and phone numbers of people from his last job. Not the job before that, not somebody you know from another company, but supervisors and co-workers from THAT job.
But in a job like that the notice required is likely 3 months, if not more. and even if shorter. then as long as you "do the right thing" during your notice period I don't see not offering them more than they require themselves (per your contract) will in itself blot your copybook (albeit how you conduct things during that notice period might!).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 15:27   #55

Boat: C&C Newport 41
Re: Confession... haven't told the boss yet... I am quitting to go sailing

Quote:
Originally Posted by riversandbar View Post
Yeah, thats what I am thinking as well..September... waiting until, if they do say "Leave Now" I can walk away and just keep going.
in most states your employer is required by law to pay you for the duration of your notice.

if you give 2 weeks and they tell u to 'go now' they are still required to pay you for the 2 weeks.
Old 05-07-2012, 16:32   #56

Boat: Westsail 32

Only you know your company and its culture. But as a bridge burner, don't follow my example. Avoid burning any bridges at all costs because there is high probability you will want cross one of them in the future. Even getting good references for that job in your future can be badly affected if you burn a bridge. Personally, I would wait until I have the needed cash, then talk about a one or two-year leave of absense. If you handle the whole transaction with transparency and the utmost honesty it will eventually stand you in good stead, and when you look in the mirror an honorable man will look back at you.
Old 05-07-2012, 16:37   #57

Boat: Catalina 22 Capri

Just shi? in the company coffee pot. They'll get the picture.
Old 07-07-2012, 21:54   #58

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
But in a job like that the notice required is likely 3 months, if not more. and even if shorter. then as long as you "do the right thing" during your notice period I don't see not offering them more than they require themselves (per your contract) will in itself blot your copybook (albeit how you conduct things during that notice period might!).
Agreed. That was a response to SaberKal. The OP has already hit on proper plan, IMHO, which is to give notice AFTER he no longer needs the job, and is not in the middle of a critical project, and is prepared to stay on a few extra months if asked, and to leave at the company's first convenience after that. I think that's the right move for all involved.
Old 07-07-2012, 22:27   #59

Hehe ... I told my boss(es) and they were not too happy !!! All is set up (re $$$) - what I need next is a boat ... ... which is already in sight !

Have to admit - it was not easy. But sometimes you gotta change something in your life.
Old 16-07-2012, 05:54   #60

I work in the oil and gas industry, and believe me, schedule is often more important than price. As a director, your intention cannot be good for your company and sets a bad example to your employees who are most likely putting in the hard yards to build and commission those rigs.

Tags
sailing

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: