Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 29-03-2014, 06:03   #16

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Re: Collisions and bumps... how are the settled?

Just to set the record straight, here's a link to the US Coast Guard site that says:

Federal law requires the operator – or owner, if the operator is deceased or unable to make the report – to file a boating accident report with the State reporting authority when, as a result of an occurrence that involves a boat or its equipment:

A person dies
A person disappears from the vessel under circumstances that indicate death or injury
A person is injured and requires medical treatment beyond first aid
Damage to vessels and other property totals $2,000 (lower amounts in some states and territories) or more
The boat is destroyed.
Note that the amount is $2K, not $1K. Also, state laws may also apply.

CaptTom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2014, 06:07   #17

Re: Collisions and bumps... how are they settled?

In boats the difference between 1k and 2k is a stanchion and some line. But it's good to know.

Horror Hotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2014, 06:18   #18

Boat: Leopard 40

A couple months ago our 30ft monohull broke loose in some high winds and drifted into a 65ft viking. It broke a stanchion on our boat and chipped about a quarter size of gel-coat just behind the bow of the viking. We just exchanged info figuring we would pay a couple hundred out of pocket to patch the gel-coat and everyone seemed cool, like it was a small matter, which it was to us. My husband fixed the stanchion and installed new spectra life lines for under $200.
The guy went home and a couple months later had the boat taken in for repair which seemed to require: haul-out, power wash, removal of stanchions, windlass, bulkheads, many patches, paint. Basically he had his annual haul out done knowing insurance would pay for it all. We told Progressive that it was outrageous he is claiming all this work but they paid anyway, over $12k.
ShaktiGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2014, 07:44   #19

Boat: Tayana 47

Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
I always snicker when I see a new-used boat owner diving into painting and cosmetics before going sailing. I paint my boat before I sell it. Cruising is about being comfortable going there and not yelling at the kids if the dingy bumps the topsides.

And when boats bump in a crowded anchorage, how in the h___ are you going to document who shouldn't have been there? Or even who dragged?
I had my boat drag into another boat, doing about $12K damage to each one. It was fall and both boats were temporarily on the marina's moorings awaiting haulout. The winds that did the damage were about 45 knots but far up a river so with no significant waves. As it turned out, the moorings were grossly undersized and that was the reason both boats dragged. I explained all this to my insurance company but they said it was "an act of God" and it wouldn't be worth it to prove in court that the moorings were undersized. That sort of sucked for me because it meant I had to pay the 1% deductible where if they had successfully gone after the marina for damages, it wouldn't have cost me anything.
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2014, 14:01   #20

Boat: Leopard 40 Catamaran

Thanks for sharing your stories folks, i find it all very educational.

Good on you Hydra, many people don't jump at the opportunity to let others learn from their mistakes... even though that sounds more like bad luck.

Acts of God are often excluded from general policies. If i lose my rig in a storm, I dont mind paying the 1% deductible, as long as they dont push it any further.

For anyone interested in statistics... i found this mildly interesting. I say mildly, because the number of motorboats vastly outnumber the sailing vessels, but we're all in the same bits of water, so still has some relevance...
Boating Accidents
Attitude is EVERYTHING!
Wannabe-007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 09:21   #21

Boats bang each other all the time.

Always smile. Always do that coz it will help lubricate the situation.

Exchange contacts and insurance. Go through the series of events that lead to the collusion.

Warren75 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: