Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2019, 12:09   #1
cruiser

Christmas cove

Scared the crap out of me.
We had a heavy storm coming. Kangaroo island, south Australia. Christmas Cove was a perfect hiding spot. Very tiny entrance, maybe 2 foot inside depth. 360 degree coverage. We used the iron sail to make anchorage.
Storm front had hit. Night fall. We missed the entrance; visibility. Did a turn. By the time we spun 360 to line up again, ebb current, gale head wind. Took many hours until tide turn and our ability to make headway. A northerly gale in backstairs passage.
Very early morning we dropped pick in shelter, 2 empty fuel tanks.
A few hours later, 3 20footish dive boats joined us.
Was a gorgeous spot. The next 3 days, outside was 3 metre swell colliding with 4 foot chop and the heavy wind. Inside was laughter, no one worrying about drag, barely a ripple on the surface. Everyone was happy to be alive and the same basic story was told. Gotta ring home, not going to school or work a while.
We sat that storm. The dive boats left the day earlier and ran like Fuch (or Penrite, Mobil, whatever) around the peninsula into the Lee of the bigger ferry and crossed. With a wind gale but much less than was, we set sail the day after. Storm jib plus a very wet ride.
Nowadays Christmas Cove has been converted into a marina berth. Was a really nice natural cove if you could fit.
Boatsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 22:12   #2
cruiser

Re: Christmas cove

Just a note:
Before storm was a perfect day to dive. Bright sunshine, no wind.
We had been coming from pt Vincent and were somewhere near the middle. Going forward? Going backwards? Don't know. Having a stick has the advantage of longer range radio. The half hour forecast suggested strong northerlies. About then the iron sail was turned on, we made slow progress against the flooding tide and I remember the skippers replie to the ask of quest, " why not have patience and run in with the tail wind. "
Basically the reply was because the wind and tide would take us out through the tidal race and we'd be smashed by the ocean.

Before storm was perfect still weather! Only storm I've seen on water and that was in protected waterways!!!
I've seen plenty of gale, bent 2 masts, dad broke 1, not new to sailing. She'd be backwards with a lot of keelers too is my opinion.
Old 13-03-2019, 05:34   #3
cruiser

Re: Christmas cove

Going on now...
My point being. As per safety we abide a simplified law.
Check weather regularly!
Wind is expedential (when spelled correctly?)
Eg. Twice wind is 4 times the force.
The little girl we use has a solid glass with gel coat hull but the thickness allows the sight of the horizon from the bunk on a sunny day. Eg. Thin.
At gale(eg half the speed or less and a quarter the force or less) we were deck covered in blankets of water and it's uniform mass, that would easily outweigh our total weight at anchorage. Hence a storm to us could have been a 'you beauty we have a runway to the Antartica' on a 50foot bulkheaded steel vessel.
Each to their own and their vessels limits. I can't imagine Florida having seen satellite pictures of one of you eyes.
You guys/girls must have endured 140knot plus! Eg 16 strength of gale plus more frequent the hits of plus that'd be nowhere near the eye itself. That is unimaginable to I!!!
Best wishes sailing.
I love gales although we just run to safety when they occur. She's been known to have a buried mast and provide the ability to right with her 350kg keel.

Been dry 17 years, saving to get wet. Swapping a house to cash to boat and berth next couple of years if true. See ya out there. I'm not true blue. Depending upon availability, I hope so.
Kind regards, Nathan

Tags
christmas