When I bought Rimfire,
did not start and so I checked fuel
flow to the motor
. I noticed an old plastic in-line filter, like an automotive one. It was old and suspicious looking. This type of filter gave me a serious problem with a car I had when it got clogged so I peered at it distrustfully. Also, I pondered on there being three filters: the automotive filter, a CAV filter and the motor's own filter.
I decided to take the automotive filter out. Turning off the tap at the fuel tank
(strange, it had been left on), it was loose for a bit then hard to turn and it didn't seem to be seating properly. I gently used a spanner on it to ensure it was off.
After crawling back into the tunnel from the cabin
to access to the fuel
pipe and filter, I managed to take the pipe off the bottom of the filter. I let the fuel line drain into a two litre container.
When my container reached half full, I puzzled over how much more fuel there could be in the pipe. Using my torch and still holding the outflow pipe from the filter over my container, I checked along the pipe to see if there was some reservoir there. Nothing. The pipe from the tank should not hold one litre, now one and a half litres of fuel was in my container.
Realising the tap must not have turned off, I put hose and filter outlet back together. They now did not fit. It was impossible to get them connected. So, I stuck my finger over the outlet. That stopped the fuel flow.
After several minutes, I had done some thinking. No one else was on the boat so no one to help. If I took my finger off the hole and rushed up to the cockpit
where the fuel tank
was I would be making a mess in the engine
bay and maybe there was nothing I could do with the tank anyway.
I wondered if I could grab a bucket or two and let the 20 litre tank drain into them. Very messy.
Sitting in the tunnel with my finger stopping diesel
flood my boat, I pondered another alternative. Within reach was my trusty vicegrips. I grabbed them, squeezed down on the plastic outlet tubing of the filter and locked it and, wow, no leaks
In the cockpit
, I was able to tilt the fuel container so the tap was out of the fuel. Then I went shopping
for a connecter for the pipe, took the old filter out and connected up the pipes.
The tap was inspected by a mechanic
who said the packing was the problem, he fiddled with it, told me it could close properly now with a bit of force and would loosen up with use. It now shuts off properly. Later the broker said the old owner told him that he never used the tap.