Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-12-2010, 14:03   #1

Boat: 1978 C.N.S.O Mikado 56
Cats Getting into the Bilge

I am just moving aboard, and my cat, a Houdini seems to maybe have found her way into the bilge. Has anyone had small pets get into the bilge? Any advice?
Pixistix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2010, 14:15   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
block their access? How are they getting in?

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2010, 14:17   #3

I thought I had blocked all the access points, but if she got under the settee there is access to the bilge, I just found that spot looking for her.
Old 20-12-2010, 14:30   #4
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
start the engine while cat is not in bilges-- mebbe that help==did with mine..he sits and looks glowringly at the engine house waiting.......he will sniff bilges when doors are open but he doesnt go inside--he knows the monster in there will holler at him....lol
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2010, 15:30   #5

Cats love to investigate! ours goes thru every thing in the boat. at nite she squeezes past me in the bunk and gets to the outside hull, plays for a while then finds a place sleep for a while then re-emerges to find a new spot. she doesn't care if the engine is running or not, just goes about her business. the only thing that would bother me is if she was defecating down there!
also found that if we put her harness on she doesn't go into hiding/dark places unless she knows we are right by her. i think maybe she is afraid of getting stuck with it on, and won't take the chance!
mike d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2010, 15:35   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
used to sprinkle pepper around when delivering yachts that possibly had had recreational tobbacco on,certainly deterred sniffer animals on board.......
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2010, 15:47   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike d. View Post
Cats love to investigate! ours goes thru every thing in the boat. at nite she squeezes past me in the bunk and gets to the outside hull, plays for a while then finds a place sleep for a while then re-emerges to find a new spot. she doesn't care if the engine is running or not, just goes about her business. the only thing that would bother me is if she was defecating down there!
also found that if we put her harness on she doesn't go into hiding/dark places unless she knows we are right by her. i think maybe she is afraid of getting stuck with it on, and won't take the chance!
smart kitty-- you would definitely smell cat doodoo.. stinky stuff. mine stopped the engine bay investigation when i took him cruising for a year on a performance cruiser in gulf--lol-- he went into engine room and disconnected stuff..lol..like engine and gps--suddenly --didnt have either anymore--ouchies-- good thing was at anchor---- so we had to find what the kat did and lock him out of engine room. he didnt like my perkins but the yanmar is his friend..LOL.
my engine room with perkins smells oily and he doesnt like that,,also is noisier than yannie....
Old 20-12-2010, 16:13   #8

I have a new dilemma, I have another cat who needs to be let out of the guest berth, how do i keep the holes of the bilge open so Shatze can get out but not so that Toothless can get in?
Old 20-12-2010, 16:25   #9
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
my dog won't get near the bilge .. thinks it is some sort of trap i guess.
Old 20-12-2010, 17:10   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixistix View Post
I have a new dilemma, I have another cat who needs to be let out of the guest berth, how do i keep the holes of the bilge open so Shatze can get out but not so that Toothless can get in?
are they different sized kats?? could be a help if the one is smaller than the other.....
Old 20-12-2010, 17:48   #11

Yes they are slightly different sizes, Shatze is smaller than Toothless, but I am pretty sure Toothless can follow the same way she got it. Right now I am just leaving it open and waiting for hubby to get home tomorrow night before we tear up the floors.
Old 20-12-2010, 17:52   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixistix View Post
Yes they are slightly different sizes, Shatze is smaller than Toothless, but I am pretty sure Toothless can follow the same way she got it. Right now I am just leaving it open and waiting for hubby to get home tomorrow night before we tear up the floors.
ye know--herding kats is an art form--you may have it down..LOL
Old 20-12-2010, 18:21   #13

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora
If you let otters into the bilge the cats will stay out. Fish too....

Todd
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2010, 18:39   #14

Boat: Hans Christian 33
Our cat doesn't get into our bilge, but he does go in any locker left open for just a second.

He also wanders the dock on some nights, and we have seen him on other boats. I'm always afraid that he will climb into somebody else's bilge or locker especially a transient.
ReMetau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2010, 18:58   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReMetau View Post
Our cat doesn't get into our bilge, but he does go in any locker left open for just a second.

He also wanders the dock on some nights, and we have seen him on other boats. I'm always afraid that he will climb into somebody else's bilge or locker especially a transient.
i nearly lost a cat that way--is why i keep mine on leash when i am at a dock--24/7 on leash at dock. we dont DO wanderlust in katdom....fixed him tooo..lol even tho he wasnt broken...other folks really dont like our critters in their boats.... i know some folks kill cats when they get on their boats-- we dont play rude to neighbors or things with bubby-- he is a respected cat. 6000 miles of sail so far---he doesnt go onboard anyone else's boat-- kept leashed on docks. always.

Tags
bilge