Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2010, 13:55   #1

Boat: Looking for a new boat
Cancelling

It is blowing 25 gusting to 40 out of the East. I just got a call from my boss asking if I could make a run to pick some folks up on the mainland in our 35ft commuter boat. The harbor on the mainland is East facing and when I was there 3 hours ago it was gusting to 25 and already getting pretty nasty on the float. I am new to the job, still waiting on the paperwork to clear with the Coast Guard for my license (this run would have been for free). I told my boss that I wasn't really that comfortable with the trip and now I'm feeling guilty. I hate canceling, it stresses me out more than running in terrible weather. Now I am cozy inside watching the Patriots game and I can't enjoy my beer because I am feeling guilty. What the heck.
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 14:04   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Never regret cancelling... it beats regretting going... and its not just you and the boss its the passengers welfare as well... hero if alls well.. dangerous stupid sod if it don't

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 14:17   #3

Boat: Allures 44
Unbusted67,

As a former military and airline pilot, I feel your anxiety. There is always pressure to keep the schedule, whether it comes from our superiors, or customers, or (most often) ourselves.

However, there's another, more important pressure. It's the burden of leadership and the responsibility to do the right thing. Ultimately, you have to make the decision. It's lonely being the captain.

So forget about whether you might have made the trip today. You exercised your independent judgement and made the best decision you could with the information available. That means you did the right thing, and someday that kind of leadership will save someone's life. Enjoy your beer, watch the game, and don't look back.
cfarrar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 14:22   #4

Boat: Vamos, a Ranger 28 Tall Rig
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfarrar View Post
Unbusted67,

As a former military and airline pilot, I feel your anxiety. There is always pressure to keep the schedule, whether it comes from our superiors, or customers, or (most often) ourselves.

However, there's another, more important pressure. It's the burden of leadership and the responsibility to do the right thing. Ultimately, you have to make the decision. It's lonely being the captain.

So forget about whether you might have made the trip today. You exercised your independent judgement and made the best decision you could with the information available. That means you did the right thing, and someday that kind of leadership will save someone's life. Enjoy your beer, watch the game, and don't look back.
Ditto!
WillJacocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 15:43   #5

I think I would rather face the weather than watch the Pats!
easterly38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 15:51   #6

Boat: Cheoy Lee Clipper 36 - Rapport
It could be worse. You could be watching the Redskins!
Old 12-12-2010, 15:57   #7

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
As a Captain, the safety of your passengers is more important then feeling guilty. Only in an emergency would I leave port in that weather. But if possible I'd see if I could talk to the passengers first and let them know it's going to be a rough ride.

How far do you have to travel? It only takes about 1/2 hour before the pukers start in.
Old 12-12-2010, 16:15   #8
CLOD

Boat: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by easterly38 View Post
I think I would rather face the weather than watch the Pats!

So you were watching the Bears?
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 16:19   #9

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
So you were watching the Bears?
Maybe he was/is watching the Jets.. Doesn't look good for them though.

Pat's game was great! Definetely a better choice on a day like today.
maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 16:21   #10
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
I think it's always interesting to think of these things in terms of odds. Under normal conditions (mild weather, calm seas, etc.) what do you think the odds of a serious accident (involving potential loss of life) would be? Less than 1:10,000?

Now, looking at the conditions, today? 1:50?

Still far more than likely that everything would have been fine.

Would you get on a plane with those odds? Would your passengers?

Not me.

You made the right call.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 16:27   #11

Boat: Morgan OI 30' Itinerant
You acted like a pro!

If you feel uncomfortable ever again...don't go. Human lives are way too valuable. I did a tuna trip w two good friends in October.....3 foot choppy seas, 20 mph winds, following seas and a failed bilge pump cost us the boat and the life of a freind. If your boss can't appreciate your decision, he's not worth working for. Because you would carry a terrible burden for life if things went wrong. Our boat sank in 1 minute so you absolutely made the right choice.

J.M.Synge, in The Aran Islands
Boomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 16:40   #12
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
When I was a rookie scuba instructor I never wanted to cancel when the conditions got rough--didn't want to seem like a wimp to the head instructor because I knew the other, more senior instructors were pretty hard core. I quickly realized, however, that I wasn't serving my students and clients when I pushed them into conditions beyond their abilities.

The head instructor moved away about a year after I started working at this dive shop, and I was promoted to head instructor over the more senior instructors. One of the reasons for this, according to the owner of the dive shop, was that he'd learned that he could trust my judgment, and he wasn't always as confident in decisions made by the more hard-core instructors.

(What's the deal with everybody watching football? Sailing was fabulous this afternoon!)
Old 12-12-2010, 16:44   #13

Boat: Cheoy Lee Clipper 36 - Rapport
Cold, windy,raining, nasty, warm down below with the football game on the tv. Am I going sailing today, NO!
Old 12-12-2010, 17:06   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
If you wake up in the morning and everyone is pissed off at you at least they will be able to do that much and you can be there to take a few shots in person. There are enough times when it gets wild out there when you couldn't have planned on it and have to complete the job. You don't need to be taking chances when you know better. It's all part of being a pro. You know better and you act like it.

Feeling bad because you did the right thing is something you have to deal with. Seems like a good way to start out a new job to me. Hopefully the next time you'll understand and not feel so bad knowing there was a last time and can hopefully be there for the next time too. You have to make good decisions no matter what forces are pulling you one way or the other. Going just because someone asked you is not a good reason. Not going because you know better is the right decision. I think passengers would expect that level of concern and maybe a little bit more
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 17:07   #15
CLOD

Boat: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
(What's the deal with everybody watching football? Sailing was fabulous this afternoon!)
Man that salt in my wound hurts. I did visit the boat yesterday on the stands because it was nice, 45 degrees and sunny, to do some cleaning.
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote