Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 11-01-2013, 15:16   #16

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38
Re: Brain failure

Don't feel bad about forgetting it. Happens. Many's the time I took off from work to go back and check if I'd turned off the baseboard heaters on my Grampian when I lived aboard. Girlfriend would come down, we'd get dinner done and then realize OMG its time for me to split for work. Musta forgot those heaters at least a dozen times over the winter.

SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 15:30   #17

Here is one you might want to add to you checklist; close fuel valve when leaving boat on the hard for an extended period of time....

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3010191515.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	358.6 KB
ID:	52663

Old 11-01-2013, 15:50   #18

Boat: I Want A Catalac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lajos View Post
Here is one you might want to add to you checklist; close fuel valve when leaving boat on the hard for an extended period of time....

Attachment 52663
Understatement, big time. So solly.
Old 11-01-2013, 16:17   #19

How did the fuel get out of the tanks? Most tanks have a probe that goes from the top down to the bottom, so they won't empty by gravity. I suppose there's the possibility of a siphon setting up.

I try to set up my boat so that even if I forget to do something it is either obvious with a reminder, or else it isn't critical. If there is a key lock I leave the key hidden somewhere onboard. I have a message taped to the engine key telling me to check the water, meaning the intake. I always leave the bilge pump on auto as the default. (Why would you want to leave the boat with your bilge pump off?) I leave the ladder at the boatyard locked to something. Etc. Etc.
Old 11-01-2013, 16:32   #20

Not sure how it happened, yard sent that picture to my friend, he is going to know more once he gets there on the 30th....
Old 11-01-2013, 17:04   #21

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

I do keep a start up and shutdown checklist on the boat that works quite effectively. This is absolutely critical imo when it takes a couple of hours to reach the boat from home. One checklist item involves cycling the bilge pump at start and shut down to ensure that it is working, unclogged and placed in the auto setting when done.

The one time I left the keys at home for the boat I, by sheer luck, was carrying a pair of bolt cutters. As an added bonus I also managed to find a replacement padlock and spare set of keys in the junk box. I now have a gaffer taped key for the cabin door secreted away in the cockpit, along with a full set of keys hidden inside the cabin.

One thing whilst not as yet having had forced me to drive the two hours back to the boat to fix, but has certainly made me have to dinghy back to the mooring in 20 kn headwinds is forgetting to remove uneaten food from the fridge. Been meaning to add that item to the checklist, along with the need to remove all unopened drinks in aluminium cans due to their tendency to develop pinhole leaks in very short order.
Old 12-01-2013, 16:10   #22

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post

I do keep a start up and shutdown checklist on the boat that works quite effectively. This is absolutely critical imo when it takes a couple of hours to reach the boat from home. One checklist item involves cycling the bilge pump at start and shut down to ensure that it is working, unclogged and placed in the auto setting when done.
As we advance in age, and our brains grow fuzzy, a checklist is the way to go. Long ago when I was still flying, I'd never consider taking an aircraft up without doing the checklist. Something I've gotten out of over the years, relying on a memory that is slowly fritzing out.
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 16:36   #23

Boat: Lagoon 440

Laying in bed totally comfortable i start to quiz myself, 'Am i really standing at the toilet or is it a dream'????? ...........
Old 12-01-2013, 18:14   #24

Boat: PETERSON 44
My primary bilge pump manual requires constant pressure. Both pumps have direct fuse to the bats. Primary could be switched off the back up pump has a alarm if either the float switch or manual has powered the pump and alarm are going. No way that I can dry run the pumps.
Yep I have left and then gone back to make sure I disconnected shore power closed a sea cock etc....best to go back.
Old 14-02-2013, 19:41   #25

I bought a boat once that had a list of things to do before leaving the boat laminated and attached to the last hatch board, well I ripped that right off, not needed!!
Well the next time out and I click the lock closed then felt in my pocket for my keys OH SHET!!! the keys are in the boat to the lock, car, gate to get out of the marina!!!! guess what was the last thing on that list?? and this was before cell phones

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: