Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2010, 15:18   #1
Registered User
 
Stillraining's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Puget Sound
Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Posts: 2,876
'Born on Date' of Your First Boating Sin !

A past member just returned to the fourm after a long abcence, stating a past boating sin as his reason..Members wishing him happy birthday with his return ..gave me this Idea for a thread...Sort of like Charlie Cobras " Biggest bonehead move" thread but more geared toward your very first boating sin...not necessarily your biggest one.


My first boating sin of recollection or my " Born on date" would have to be canoeing with a first time date down Campbell Creek in Anchorage Alaska..It was going to be one of those WOW! factor romantic impress the girl kind of thing...So I borrowed my roommate Coleman canoe..and had him drop us "UP Creek" planning on a 3 hour float wine, cheese and song the whole 9 yards..

We just get started and I soon realize I picked the wrong section of creek to float #1 and it was so brushy I ended up pulling the canoe through it...Now this is early fall in Alaska and not warm by any means...several bailouts and pulls and loads back into the canoe on my part being the swashbucking hero went with out a hitch...until our laughter about the whole thing got us into a giggle fest...you know the drill...those times when thing get so goofy that everything become funny...no there was no drugs involved...we were just having a blast...well just then I didn't quite load up a smoothly as all the other supper hero times and over we go.

Now most girls would have lost it right there...not this one...she was game for anything and fun to be with...we were laughing so hard she peed her pants or was that me?

Well soaking wet from head to toe we pulled the canoe up on the bank and started to look for some place to duck in and get warm... This was Sunday evening and in a rural area of town...not allot around...fortunately we found a very small post office that although unmanned and closed the box portion of it was open with some heat on and a phone inside.

We had no clew as to where we were so giving directions to my roommate for pick-up was difficult..fortunately it happened early enough in the trip that he wasn't already waiting for us at the other end..this was before cell phones.

By the time we were located and picked up we were both shivering madly you could see our breath in the night chill and still laughing...what a trooper.

She was not the girl I ended up marrying but definitely one of the ones that easily could have been...It was definitely a major boating sin and my "Born on date" for sure...Im sure it was hers as well...it still brings a smile and good feeling every time I think about it I hope it does for her as well.
__________________

__________________
"Go simple, go large!".

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2010, 14:08   #2
Don't ask if you can't handle it
 
sailorboy1's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: On the boat somewhere
Boat: Hunter 410
Posts: 12,310
OK this has been out a while and someone needs to admidt a sin.

On my very first day of a sail boat, a C&C 36, taking my first lesson; I hit a rock so hard the boat stopped! So that was my first sin and I did it my first day. Rest of that year went well with real sins.

Fast forward a year and now I have my first boat, a Cal-39. On on first time away from the dock I wnet aground for 6 hours. But since this my boat I did if on a soft bottom. Not sins the rest of the year, just newbie excitment.

This year, my thrid, no sins! So may my sins follow having to be on a new to me boat and it being the first time on it.
__________________

__________________
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2010, 14:25   #3
Registered User
 
Triton318's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hayes, Virginia
Boat: 1962 28' Pearson Triton
Posts: 289
Not Tying off the Bitter End of the Anchor Rode

In my defense, I WAS only 17. I was a junior in high school in 1980, living in Bradenton, FL. My parents allowed me to charter a Cape Dory 25 with three fiends for one-week cruise south and back. Nothing bad came from losing the anchor, except a bruised ego. I have never lost an anchor since!
__________________
Jay White
S/V Dove
1962 Pearson Triton, #318
Triton318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2010, 14:41   #4
Moderator Emeritus
 
hummingway's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Gabriola Island & Victoria, British Columbia
Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Posts: 6,933
Images: 5
I learned to canoe at a very early age and was very excited to turn 12. That was the age my mother had set for the youngest I was going to be allowed to take a trip on my own. A friend and I planned that trip very carefully - especially the part where we would "borrow" a little booze from our dads for the trip. My dad drove us up to Algonquin Park and we set off. We stopped for lunch that first day and he explained that he had chickened out but I had stashed 4 bottles of beer in my rucksack. Eagerly I dug in looking for them but only came up with one! That warm labatts 50 tasted pertty good to us. When we stopped that first night my friend announced we had left the axe behind and his brother would kill him if we didn't bring it back. So we unloaded the canoe and paddled like madmen back to the lunch site, rescued the axe and paddled back just as dusk was falling only to find a bear tearing our food duffel apart. I went roaring after with paddle in hand, chasing him off. That night I could hear the bear trying to get into our cooler. I had to pea in the worst way and brave as I was in the evening was matched by my fear at night so I gritted my teeth until morning. He had dented the cooler but not opened. We had enough food left so that supplementing with fishing we were able to enjoy our wilderness trek. When my friends brother picked us up he explained that my brother had gone through my pack, making sure I wasn't taking any of his stuff with me, and found the beer. My dad was a little po'd but I was impressed that he left us with one beer anyway. It was a great trip.
__________________
“We are the universe contemplating itself” - Carl Sagan

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2010, 15:27   #5
Registered User
 
cburger's Avatar

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Nyack, NY
Boat: Westsail 32
Posts: 1,547
Images: 1
Tossed a brand new anchor and rode into the Hudson river wihout the bitter end fastened. Talk about feeling really stupid.
__________________
cburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2010, 17:27   #6
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta/Port Alberni, BC
Boat: Catalac 10M
Posts: 23
First big oops.

I had got turned around and was in a hurry so I cut around the buoys (look to the left). 6 hours 'till high tide and that bridge in the background was busy. CG hailed us calling us "Prairie Fishing Vessel". Humiliating but only the second time I was in a boat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AUT_2270.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	19540  
__________________
thims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2010, 17:30   #7
Moderator Emeritus
 
hummingway's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Gabriola Island & Victoria, British Columbia
Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Posts: 6,933
Images: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by thims View Post
I had got turned around and was in a hurry so I cut around the buoys (look to the left). 6 hours 'till high tide and that bridge in the background was busy. CG hailed us calling us "Prairie Fishing Vessel". Humiliating but only the second time I was in a boat.
FOFLMAO ... they actually called you a "Prairie Fishing Vessel"? Sorry but that in itself would be worth a grounding
__________________
“We are the universe contemplating itself” - Carl Sagan

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2010, 09:12   #8
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Kent England
Boat: Caprice 19'
Posts: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
A past member just returned to the fourm after a long abcence, stating a past boating sin as his reason..Members wishing him happy birthday with his return ..gave me this Idea for a thread...Sort of like Charlie Cobras " Biggest bonehead move" thread but more geared toward your very first boating sin...not necessarily your biggest one.


My first boating sin of recollection or my " Born on date" would have to be canoeing with a first time date down Campbell Creek in Anchorage Alaska..It was going to be one of those WOW! factor romantic impress the girl kind of thing...So I borrowed my roommate Coleman canoe..and had him drop us "UP Creek" planning on a 3 hour float wine, cheese and song the whole 9 yards..

We just get started and I soon realize I picked the wrong section of creek to float #1 and it was so brushy I ended up pulling the canoe through it...Now this is early fall in Alaska and not warm by any means...several bailouts and pulls and loads back into the canoe on my part being the swashbucking hero went with out a hitch...until our laughter about the whole thing got us into a giggle fest...you know the drill...those times when thing get so goofy that everything become funny...no there was no drugs involved...we were just having a blast...well just then I didn't quite load up a smoothly as all the other supper hero times and over we go.

Now most girls would have lost it right there...not this one...she was game for anything and fun to be with...we were laughing so hard she peed her pants or was that me?

Well soaking wet from head to toe we pulled the canoe up on the bank and started to look for some place to duck in and get warm... This was Sunday evening and in a rural area of town...not allot around...fortunately we found a very small post office that although unmanned and closed the box portion of it was open with some heat on and a phone inside.

We had no clew as to where we were so giving directions to my roommate for pick-up was difficult..fortunately it happened early enough in the trip that he wasn't already waiting for us at the other end..this was before cell phones.

By the time we were located and picked up we were both shivering madly you could see our breath in the night chill and still laughing...what a trooper.

She was not the girl I ended up marrying but definitely one of the ones that easily could have been...It was definitely a major boating sin and my "Born on date" for sure...Im sure it was hers as well...it still brings a smile and good feeling every time I think about it I hope it does for her as well.

'Twas not a past boating sin - I fell foul of one of the more zealous moderators, I'm assured he is no longer in office - it certainly coloured my opinion of my North American cousins.
__________________
nockerwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2010, 09:56   #9
Registered User
 
Stillraining's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Puget Sound
Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Posts: 2,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by nockerwhite View Post
'Twas not a past boating sin - I fell foul of one of the more zealous moderators, I'm assured he is no longer in office - it certainly coloured my opinion of my North American cousins.

Ah!..................So I suppose I should now start a thread "Your first Forum Sin"......Your not alone..
__________________
"Go simple, go large!".

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2010, 10:48   #10
Registered User
 
cfarrar's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Brooklin, Maine U.S.A
Boat: Allures 44
Posts: 734
Images: 2
Three 16-year olds, sailing from Buzzards Bay to Martha's Vineyard in a 20ft keel boat. Spinnaker and light air sheets in the morning, switched to the reaching chute and heavy air sheets in the afternoon. Feeling good.... we've passed Woods Hole and we're about half way to the Vineyard, 3 miles from land in either direction. It's a kickin' Sou'wester, the boat is broad reaching and surfing the waves nicely, we've consumed a thirty pack of Strohs, and we're each getting a great tan (no life jackets, of course).

Then the hiking strap breaks. Each of us flips over backwards into the water and the boat sails away at 6 kts. In my mind I know it will eventually round up, but will it stop? How fast can we swim? It takes about 2 seconds to realize that the situation is dire.

Long story short... one of my friends was swimming towards the surface when his hands came across the last three feet of the light air spinnaker sheet, trailing 50 ft behind the boat. We had forgotten to stow it earlier (the only benefit of the Strohs, I suppose). He grabbed on tight, which slowed the boat and forced it to round up, and we (barely) climbed aboard, upon which I threw up a quart of seawater.
__________________
cfarrar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2010, 11:26   #11
Registered User
 
Stillraining's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Puget Sound
Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Posts: 2,876
Thats one heck of a good read cfarrar..thanks for sharing it!
__________________
"Go simple, go large!".

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2010, 12:51   #12
Moderator Emeritus
 
Ex-Calif's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Singapore
Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!
Posts: 11,514
Images: 4
I have really been trying to come up with a sin. To me a sin is doing something you know is wrong in advance of having done it. As opposed to a bonehead move which is just stupidity.

1st bonehead move is probably running the family 14 foot aluminum skiff onto a sandbank at speed. This was around 1969?

The first sin is probably last year when I tried to stay windward of a ship coming up the channel. I pinched and pinched on starboard tack. Got in irons and the boat stopped. Then the wind caught the genny and we basically got blown to port. When the boat finally finished its 180 turn we could have reached out and touched the ship.

The hands on the ship were looking over the rail and laughing at us. We could have tossed them a beer but we are too cheap.

Lesson learned however...
__________________
Relax Lah! is For Sale <--- Click
Click--> Custom CF Google Search or CF Rules
You're gonna need a bigger boat... - Martin Brody
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2010, 17:35   #13
Registered User
 
Unicorn Dreams's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Clear Lake Marine Services - Seabrook, Texas
Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'
Posts: 2,359
I guess my first boating sin was Sept 1960, 2 days adter Hurricane Donna, went out with my grandfather to check on lobster traps and ended up putting a salvage claim on a Herreshoff 28 foot boat that had washed up in shallow water and my uncle helped yo get it back in deeper water to get hauled and repaired..
So my GREATEST first sin was getting hooked on sail....
__________________
Formerly Santana
The winds blow true,The skies stay blue,
Everyday is a good day for SAILING!!!!
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2010, 23:20   #14
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Port Ludlow Wa
Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora
Posts: 1,973
Two fifteen yearold kids boy and girl steal her Dad's Mustang and sneak down to the SeaScout boat (Erikson 26' sloop) in the middle of the night....the rest is history. Didn't end up married or any other result, didn't get get caught either. Remember it like yesterday, yep, hooked on sailing.

Todd
__________________
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2010, 10:03   #15
Registered User
 
Stillraining's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Puget Sound
Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Posts: 2,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdoraKeeper View Post
Two fifteen yearold kids boy and girl steal her Dad's Mustang and sneak down to the SeaScout boat (Erikson 26' sloop) in the middle of the night....the rest is history. Didn't end up married or any other result, didn't get get caught either. Remember it like yesterday, yep, hooked on sailing.

Todd
LOL....Hooked on aft queen births or actual sailing...
__________________

__________________
"Go simple, go large!".

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Boat Lust - Is This a Sin? sailorboy1 Monohull Sailboats 40 02-07-2014 04:35
I Wasn't Born to Sail Dave the Canuck Families, Kids and Pets Afloat 12 03-02-2010 17:47
Baby Born Aboard schoonerdog Families, Kids and Pets Afloat 0 27-07-2009 06:04
Island being born.. Capt Darren Off Topic Forum 14 25-06-2007 07:56
There's one born every minute... Rangiroo Off Topic Forum 8 25-04-2007 02:39



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 22:25.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.