Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2016, 16:46   #121
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 13,033
Re: Boarding Neighbors in a Storm

Ann-
No, "mainaining the domestic tranquilty" means like what is sounds like. Not husband-and-wife bickering, but anything that could get the rabble aroused and taking to the streets to throw stones about it.
And from the English legal tradition, the "militia" were created by and charged by the Crown, and held personally responsible to recompense the victims of a crime, out of their own pockets, it they failed to make an immediate and reasonable attempt to find and apprehend the cause of the problem.


We've mislaid a number of rather valuable traditions.
__________________

__________________
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 18:05   #122
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Penobscot Bay, Maine
Boat: Tayana 47
Posts: 990
Re: Boarding Neighbors in a Storm

One idea that would help resolve problems such as slapping halyards would be to affix a small sign at the point where someone would likely consider coming aboard your boat (hanging from top lifeline?) and another small sign on the outside of your companionway that has your name and phone number on it so that anyone noticing any problems with your boat would hopefully see it and have a way of contacting you right then. If someone was concerned about the way your boat is tied up or your halyards are keeping them awake, etc., they might see the sign and give you a quick phone call to inform you of the problem and you would then have the option of giving them permission to go aboard and make the change they recommended or not, or to address the problem yourself if you were nearby. Someone recently suggested this to me and I plan to do it on our boat soon.
__________________

__________________
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 18:16   #123
Registered User
 
hamburking's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Kingston Ont Canada
Boat: Looking for my next boat!
Posts: 2,148
Re: Boarding Neighbors in a Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerfield55 View Post
There are always reasons not to do the right thing. In my old marina most of the owners lived hours away. I frequently put my extra lines on boats and adjusted lines to keep boats off the dock during gales. If I get sued. I get sued.
If you can stand up and say you did the right thing, you have nothing to fear, and the thanks of many.
__________________
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 18:21   #124
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 329
Re: Boarding Neighbors in a Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post
One idea that would help resolve problems such as slapping halyards would be to affix a small sign at the point where someone would likely consider coming aboard your boat (hanging from top lifeline?) and another small sign on the outside of your companionway that has your name and phone number on it so that anyone noticing any problems with your boat would hopefully see it and have a way of contacting you right then. If someone was concerned about the way your boat is tied up or your halyards are keeping them awake, etc., they might see the sign and give you a quick phone call to inform you of the problem and you would then have the option of giving them permission to go aboard and make the change they recommended or not, or to address the problem yourself if you were nearby. Someone recently suggested this to me and I plan to do it on our boat soon.
Now here is a nice, considerate, reasonable suggestion. No threats of extreme physical violence, just someone wanting to be a good neighbor.
The few times I have left my boat in a marina unattended, one of my first actions was to make sure the halyards were not left loose. People that do not live on boats may not be aware of how irritating the sound can be when it is very close.
__________________
Sailing55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 18:24   #125
Registered User
 
Lizzy Belle's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Netherlands
Boat: Ohlson 29
Posts: 1,522
Re: Boarding Neighbors in a Storm

I used to be Helpful Lizzy, always fishing fenders out of the water, fixing lines and whatever else was in need of some immediate care.

Until, in my previous marina, I was on a motorboat (aft deck) trying to keep some guys bimini top from taking flight. I was nearly done when the owner came running down the dock, yelling and screaming at me to get off his f'ing boat and to stop stealing his sh!t ...
I tried to explain why I was on his deck, but he kept screaming at me so I had little choice but to quietly walk back to my boat (2 slips over) and hope he'd shut up.

The next day, the harbor master asks me why I was on that guys boat, and did I know where his 2 lost fenders were? I told him I'd never been on that boat before, and was only on it now cos of his bimini. I was asked to never do that again, as it is impossible to tell if that's really what I was doing ...

No good deed goes unpunished

These days, if I know the boat owners, I'll board and fix whatever needs fixing.
If I don't know the owners, I'll call the harbor master, and s/he can call the owner.

Since I'm now in a marina where liveaboards are allowed, most people know me so it's less of an issue, but I still won't touch a boat I don't know.
__________________
"Il faut Ítre toujours ivre." - Charles Baudelaire
Dutch ♀ Liveaboard, sharing an Ohlson 29 with a feline.
Lizzy Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 18:30   #126
Registered User
 
hamburking's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Kingston Ont Canada
Boat: Looking for my next boat!
Posts: 2,148
Re: Boarding Neighbors in a Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post
One idea that would help resolve problems such as slapping halyards would be to affix a small sign at the point where someone would likely consider coming aboard your boat (hanging from top lifeline?) and another small sign on the outside of your companionway that has your name and phone number on it so that anyone noticing any problems with your boat would hopefully see it and have a way of contacting you right then. If someone was concerned about the way your boat is tied up or your halyards are keeping them awake, etc., they might see the sign and give you a quick phone call to inform you of the problem and you would then have the option of giving them permission to go aboard and make the change they recommended or not, or to address the problem yourself if you were nearby. Someone recently suggested this to me and I plan to do it on our boat soon.
I pay my marina a small fortune to keep on eye out for me, and everyone else. They have dockhands full time during the day, and security patrols all night. They have all my info, phone numbers, etc. Sadly, they will walk right by a boat bashing itself on the dock due to a slipped fender...they haven't a clue. I once informed them of a bilge alarm going off, and they were like "oh whats that about?".

Yes, emergency phone number, printed small, visible only if you came aboard to help, like on the companionway hatch boards.

I'm against posting too much info. When I'm on my boat for a few days, my home is vacant.
__________________
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 18:31   #127
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 329
Re: Boarding Neighbors in a Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
I used to be Helpful Lizzy, always fishing fenders out of the water, fixing lines and whatever else was in need of some immediate care.

Until, in my previous marina, I was on a motorboat (aft deck) trying to keep some guys bimini top from taking flight. I was nearly done when the owner came running down the dock, yelling and screaming at me to get off his f'ing boat and to stop stealing his sh!t ...
I tried to explain why I was on his deck, but he kept screaming at me so I had little choice but to quietly walk back to my boat (2 slips over) and hope he'd shut up.

The next day, the harbor master asks me why I was on that guys boat, and did I know where his 2 lost fenders were? I told him I'd never been on that boat before, and was only on it now cos of his bimini. I was asked to never do that again, as it is impossible to tell if that's really what I was doing ...

No good deed goes unpunished

These days, if I know the boat owners, I'll board and fix whatever needs fixing.
If I don't know the owners, I'll call the harbor master, and s/he can call the owner.

Since I'm now in a marina where liveaboards are allowed, most people know me so it's less of an issue, but I still won't touch a boat I don't know.
Life in a marina can be a no-win situation...the very same rude fool could have laid blame on you for NOT doing something to prevent damage to his boat. At least you know that your intentions were those of a good neighbor. Good for you.
__________________
Sailing55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 21:35   #128
Moderator
 
JPA Cate's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: aboard, cruising in Australia
Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Posts: 10,670
Re: Boarding Neighbors in a Storm

Someone we know has hand printed his cell phone number, only, no name, large, waterproofed it (laminated it up, iirc), and taped it with clear tape to a stanchion by the boarding gate. It is easy to read, and he has had someone call him one time when it looked as if something was amiss on the boat.

Ann
__________________
Ann, with Jim, aboard US s/v Insatiable II, in Oz, very long term cruisers
JPA Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 09:42   #129
Registered User
 
redhead's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: PNW 48.59'45N 122.45'50W
Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'
Posts: 764
Images: 5
Re: Boarding Neighbors in a Storm

I live in a marina that is just yards from the Canadian border. Up until last fall probably half of the boats were Canadian. Most of them have a placard taped on the inside of a porthole near the boarding gate with their contact numbers on it. I never thought much about it, but it does seem to answer the slapping halyards dilemma. The boat in danger is another situation.

You should see how empty the marina is now with the exchange rate being what it is. Spooky.
__________________
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2016, 16:01   #130
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 5
Re: Boarding Neighbors in a Storm

My rule of thumb and expectation of others would be that if you're on my boat, forget anything you saw as it's none of your business. If I jump on your boat and see a bag of weed or other contraband...it never happened and I know nothing if asked about it later.

I would want somebody to help me out and I would probably do likewise. Aiding those in distress is then first law of the see.

Edit: I'm not a pot smoker nor do I endorse such behavior. Simply looking for that morally questionable example. Perhaps noting expensive electronic gear would have been more appropriate.
__________________
CrazyIvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2016, 16:07   #131
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: UK/Portugal
Posts: 20,200
Images: 2
Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Boarding Neighbors in a Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyIvan View Post
My rule of thumb and expectation of others would be that if you're on my boat, forget anything you saw as it's none of your business. If I jump on your boat and see a bag of weed or other contraband...it never happened and I know nothing if asked about it later.

I would want somebody to help me out and I would probably do likewise. Aiding those in distress is then first law of the see.
Only if you are a seaman its seems.. mud dwellers get Pissy..
__________________


Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2016, 19:30   #132
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 13,033
Re: Boarding Neighbors in a Storm

These days even seamen get antsy in the litigious Colonies. Your lines are slack, the weatherman says he goofed and winds my gust to 60 overnight, so I come retie your boat, all nice and snug.


And the next morning it is found slightly out of place with a big gash in the hull.


It really doesn't matter how forgiving you are, your insurer is going to come after me, claiming I was negligent and tied the lines improperly.


Do I really want to worry about all that? No, if I can see the phone number I'll use it. Or I'll tell the dockmaster there's a problem. But touching the lines...I'd really have to think about that.
__________________
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2016, 19:37   #133
Registered User
 
Lizzy Belle's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Netherlands
Boat: Ohlson 29
Posts: 1,522
Re: Boarding Neighbors in a Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
claiming I was negligent and tied the lines improperly.
How do they know it was you? Stop leaving notes

(The Netherlands isn't very litigious so barely ever worry )
__________________
"Il faut Ítre toujours ivre." - Charles Baudelaire
Dutch ♀ Liveaboard, sharing an Ohlson 29 with a feline.
Lizzy Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2016, 19:51   #134
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 13,033
Re: Boarding Neighbors in a Storm

Lizzy, you'd be surprised at the number of eyes and security cameras that can be found all over in the US now. Not as many as London, but growing all the time. They might never know, but at least in daytime, someone is usually around.
__________________
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2016, 19:53   #135
Registered User
 
TacomaSailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Burnt Store Marina, SW Florida
Boat: Caliber 40
Posts: 1,148
Re: Boarding Neighbors in a Storm

I cannot believe some of the crap I read here!

I've been hanging around boats and marinas for over 45-years. I've lived aboard three times. I've managed race boats and I've delivered hundreds of boats. I've spent thousands of days/nights drinking beer on hundreds of boats in at least 100 different marinas.

And ... NEVER - EVER... have I heard of anyone being sued for helping secure a boat or it's halyards. Not EVER!

Who makes up those stories?
__________________

__________________
TacomaSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Neighbors Boat Ejecting Water!? Steve Olson General Sailing Forum 21 15-10-2013 22:20
Neighbors SSB Powers Lights and Speakers jacob30 Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar 10 13-01-2012 11:24
To our American neighbors and friends knottybuoyz Off Topic Forum 9 26-05-2007 07:48



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:50.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.