Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > The Sailor's Confessional
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2016, 01:16   #46

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Boarding Neighbors in a Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisgo View Post
Wow, that Jammer Six guy had some seriously good trolling skills!
Wow, I had missed that thread.

Basically a pretty robust debate about whether you should stay off other people's boats even for the purpose of saving them, based on the idea that it's trespassing.

The Ordinary Practice of Seaman does not, however, consider another boat's deck as sacrosanct as all that. It's not like your house or your back patio. We raft up to each other without permission, in harbors where it's necessary or when we are directed by the harbormaster to do so, and we walk across each other's foredecks to get to shore. Out of respect for the privacy of the owners, we never walk across the cockpit or afterdeck. We never linger uninvited on another boat's deck, never ever.

If we want to go onto the deck of another boat for some reason, when the owner or any crew is on board, we ask permission first. If no one is on board, however, we do not hesitate to go on board for some honorable and specific purpose, like helping prevent damage to that boat, or someone else's boat. Or to get to our own boat which is rafted up, and in that case without permission, even if the owner is on board.

But never, ever, ever for any other purpose.

I find strangers on my deck all the time. Usually rafting up (we are an attractive boat to raft up to, being larger than most), but also fending off, or other similar purposes. I've never had anyone on my deck, that I'm aware of, who came onto my deck for any other than honorable purposes.

I submit that this is the Ordinary Practice of Seaman, and I would be very surprised if there has ever been a single case of trespassing arising out of the same.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 06:07   #47
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Reading a thread like this confirms who I would like to share an anchorage or marina with

Mark
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 06:25   #48
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Boarding Neighbors in a Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
NEVER!
I have no qualms if the cockpit locker is unlocked and I need a line quick.. or fenders if a dragging boat..
I leave mine unlocked for that very reason on the off chance.. save's time running back to get what's needed for the situation..
Just restrict it to ropes and fenders..
Have been confronted a couple of times in the past when owners returned while things are happening.. only one aggressive.. and he calmed down when it was explained..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 06:32   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Watch out! You can get your teeth knocked in these days for that sort of ofensive behaviour!
Sadly you may be right as such gallantry may be perceived as an instance of macho man's "micro aggression", itself a stupidest of the modern catch phrases.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 06:40   #50
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
Sadly you may be right as such gallantry may be perceived as an instance of macho man's "micro aggression", itself a stupidest of the modern catch phrases.
Feminism: if your a male you are the problem.

If holding open a door for a lady is misogyny then I am a proud misogynist
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 06:45   #51

Boat: Pending purchase live aboard sailboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
I do it routinely. Last big storm I retied my neighbors 45 footer when it tore out not just the cleat but part of the dock.

I also once boarded a boat that was dragging toward a seawall. Luckily they left the key in the ignition so I could use the engine.

And I've boarded and tied the snot out of banging halyards. Being that it's often the same offenders, it get progressively more difficult to untie the handiwork.
"it get progressively more difficult to untie the handiwork." LOL... I'm a locksmith and while reading these postings, and if the offending owner proved themselves to be unreasonable, I think I'd be inclined to take a cheap lock and lock the offending hallard to the rigging or the lifeline and let the owner live with that for a while until he obtained bolt-cutters to cut the lock off! Reaching over with a dock-pole to reach the hallard would negate "trespassing", too...just sayin' there's more than one way to skin a cat...
bobbluesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 07:19   #52
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Boarding Neighbors in a Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbluesea View Post
"it get progressively more difficult to untie the handiwork." LOL... I'm a locksmith and while reading these postings, and if the offending owner proved themselves to be unreasonable, I think I'd be inclined to take a cheap lock and lock the offending hallard to the rigging or the lifeline and let the owner live with that for a while until he obtained bolt-cutters to cut the lock off! Reaching over with a dock-pole to reach the hallard would negate "trespassing", too...just sayin' there's more than one way to skin a cat...
Naah.. they'll just undo the figure of 8 knot.. feed the halyard through, retie it and forget about the lock..
Expensive short term fix..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 08:20   #53

Danger fokes! If you save my boat,thank you!! BUT,let's say there is a storm,not a hurricane but just a small thunder storm & I come down to check my boat & I find you rummaging through my lockers,unlikely I will belive you are trying to help unless the boat is clearly in distress. I might think you are a thief taking advantage of the situation & that is a real problem! Board my rig & tie something because the noise is bothering you,if I caught you, well let's just say someone is gonna go swimming at the very least, YOU have the option to relocate. ...not board my boat! After reading how many people think nothing of getting on other people's boat I will always leave lines somewhere that can be had WITHOUT you getting in my lockers,that my friend is a step to far! I WILL take care of my lines to be a good neighbor. .but I catch you in my lockers,you may find yourself sleeping with the fish's
Kita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 08:25   #54

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

I've seen this many times at my marina. A big wind comes, and many boats are unattended and unprepared.

If I see a boat in need, I first try to consider if my help is really needed.
Then, I treat it as if it is my own boat. I'll go aboard, adjust lines, move fenders, etc. But, I make sure to do it properly.

I have sometimes even provided extra lines and fenders from my own boat to keep other boats safe. Usually, those lines and fenders are never seen again.

Other times I have notified the marina office. All they will do is try to phone the owner...who may be in another city, miles away. The marina staff are reluctant because of liability issues.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 08:29   #55

Boat: ODAY 28

I would go aboard to keep the boat from getting damaged, if there was no time to notify the owner.
boeing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 08:38   #56

Boat: Caliber 40

January 31 - February 1 this year we had a unusual 20-hour wind event here in San Diego Bay. At 2:45 PM PST on Sunday the steady 20-25 knot wind suddenly surged to 62 knots and stayed there for a minute or so.

The steady wind then dropped to the lower 30-knot range with gusts above 45 and stayed like that for 6-hours. Later the wind dropped to the lower 20-knot range with gusts into the high 30s and continued that way for another 12-hours.

The big problem with the wind was the shearing 60-degrees from WSW to NNW every 30-seconds. That violently shearing wind was wrecking havoc on dock lines and fenders.

Two of we liveaboards spent several hours, beginning at 7:30 PM in the dark, on our dock and the two adjacent docks:
- pulling down three genoas that were tearing themselves apart and threatening to bring down the rig
- securing two in-mast roller furling mains that had come loose
- taking down five biminis that were coming loose (the stainless struts were pulling loose from the deck in two of them) and threatening to fly across the marina
- removing two full boat covers that had come loose and were ready to fly into the next boat
- securing the dock lines on dozens of boats that were pounding themselves and the docks to pieces
- securing several kayaks and SUPs that had blown off boat decks and were hanging from their boats by tethers while pounding themselves and the boat hull

The large trawler directly across the dock, and directly upwind, from us (25' feet away) had a 15'x18' bimini with six vertical struts and three horizontal struts that was hanging from the side of the boat by two fittings. It was flapping violently all night long and I was scared to death it was going to come loose and get tangled with our mast or dodger.

Was I supposed to allow that thing to continue tear loose and eventually damage our boat and/or anyone walking by on the dock?

The really discouraging thing is that three days after the wind event - almost NONE of the boat owners had come down to the marina to check on their boats or repair the damage.

My answer is that I will do whatever is necessary to protect my boat and my friends boats.

The other liveaboard who recruited me to help is a professional captain and boat manager. The marina (650+ slips) pays him to take care of unattended boats that need help during the non-business hours and when the owner cannot be contacted. He has been helping the marina in that way for at least 10-years and no one has ever complained.
TacomaSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 09:00   #57

Boat: Grampian 26

It's what I would do and want others to do for me. Sadly, there are those among us who don't want you on their boat. I tightened a neighbours self furling jib one time when the wind was about to furl it. When I told him he told me that in the future I should stay off his boat.

My boat is docked at the end of the dock with a very picturesque view of both the city and a wildlife preserve. People often party there in my absence and leave cigarette butts and red wine stains in my cockpit. For them I have a no trespassing sign.
astokel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 09:15   #58

Boat: Kadey Krogen '42
Re: boarding neighbors in a storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis.G View Post
If in a marina, might check in with the dock master first. But my vote is help your neighbor out and protect his boat.

When I left my boat in a Mexican marina for a while, I checked with all the neighboring boats and the dock staff and let them know I would appreciate any help if such a situation came up. I kept a few spare dock lines laying in the cockpit for emergency use.
Good idea, leaving stuff out.

I've adjusted lines for others, but would not rummage through their boat under any conditions.

I would add my own lines though if need be.

Richard
Dauntlessny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 09:36   #59

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

We were way up in British Columbia in November when a "wind event" came along down here in WA. Our 300 lb dinghy was on deck when our neighbor looked out and saw it standing on end. After tying it down and adjusting our dock lines he went back to his boat - he never even mentioned it until we came back and noticed the difference. The wind instrument at the harbormaster's office showed 73 before it broke.

Last weekend I glance over at same neighbor's boat and saw two "gentlemen" walking on deck. Popped up with my phone in my hand and said "Hi, can I help you" with a big grin and punching numbers in my phone in big gestures. They sullenly said they were just looking. As I called security they picked up their pace and were gone.

Back on the East Coast I would not have done that or expected anyone to help me. Here, we don't talk about lawsuits - or Good Samaritan protection. It's actually much simpler when there's only a few cops and they're probably busy elsewhere. If I didn't know my neighbor's I think - I hope - I would do the same.
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 09:42   #60
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

if a boat needs help i have brought my own lines for the saving. i figger he broke loose-not have the right stuff. mine better, use mine to hell with looking rummaging and bs.. not my job.
when i owned a towing dink, i used to save many boats.now i call for assist on radio. i row, not as fast as a dragging boat needs
slapping halyards--i LAUGH, as that is the sound of dollar bills leaving your wallet. best way to need to replace em is let them slam on the mast, spreaders and whatnot. i equate slapping halyards with more bux than brains syndrome.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote