Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 10-09-2008, 15:23   #1

Boat: kantola
Battery Trouble

The Peterson 44 that I lived aboard had a ladder from the aft cabin up into the center cockpit. It looked to me that building a battery tray by through bolting 1"x3" teak to the teak sole and building a cover out of teak ply would be a good idea. Then shorten the ladder to rest on top of the battery box using the box as the first step. I epoxy sealed everything in the box and the teak 1x3s. That night I checked the epoxy and it appeared to have cured so I set the brand new Trojan L-16 batteries in place.

The next morning I decided that it would be a good idea to put decking material under the batteries to get airflow underneath and have some space for any spilled water.

I pulled out 3 of the 4 batteries with little problem but when i pulled on the 4th battery the bottom pulled off of one cell and dumped 3 quarts of new battery acid on my varnished teak and holly sole mostly outside of the battery tray. One corner of the tray had glued itself to the battery.

Many gallons of water and pounds of baking soda later I had to go back to the Battery dealer and buy a 5th battery. Back then it was a $175 goof.
roblanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2008, 00:50   #2

Boat: Southerly UK 37ft
it will be good to fix a stainless plate under the batteries next time . it is cheap, and can be easly moved in and out. this tray will keep you out of trouble.

MIKE migot1
migot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2008, 03:30   #3

Bummer....I have heat bent a plastic tray with high sides to (hopefully) cope with spills. This tray takes four of our standard "light truck size batteries. It is odd that the bottom pulled off. Most batteries that I have dealt with have a one piece case. It is the top that is a separate piece. Your epoxy must have worked well. I would suggest that airflow underneath is not nessesary and in fact it is better to have the batteries bum on flat ground. Under normal circumstances there should be no spillage. (We dont like to tip the boat over.........) I think you will find that its a once off : )
cooper is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: