44 that I lived aboard had a ladder from the aft cabin
up into the center cockpit
. It looked to me that building a battery
tray by through bolting 1"x3" teak
to the teak
sole and building a cover out of teak ply would be a good idea. Then shorten the ladder to rest on top of the battery box
using the box as the first step. I epoxy
sealed everything in the box and the teak 1x3s. That night I checked the epoxy
and it appeared to have cured so I set the brand new Trojan L-16 batteries in place.
The next morning I decided that it would be a good idea to put decking material under the batteries to get airflow underneath and have some space for any spilled water
I pulled out 3 of the 4 batteries with little problem but when i pulled on the 4th battery
the bottom pulled off of one cell and dumped 3 quarts of new battery acid on my varnished teak and holly sole mostly outside of the battery tray. One corner of the tray had glued itself to the battery.
Many gallons of water
and pounds of baking soda later I had to go back to the Battery dealer and buy a 5th battery. Back then it was a $175 goof.