Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2010, 03:02   #46
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
I had an experience purist sailing northeast of the tortugas. No wind just drifting, 23' sloop a commercial boat approaching. I first lit up everything mast, steaming lights and spotted the limp sails all the while trying to raise it on vhf. The boat approached at a beeline towards us as I desparately tried to scull ahead with the rudder. I got out the AK and was real close to sending some rounds into the pilot house when he veered off about 100' away. He passed within 20 or 30 foot away and sent a wake into the cockpit. These guys may think its funny playing chicken but this guy had no idea how close he was to 30 rounds spraying his pilothouse. My luck I would have hit him and he wouldn't have been able to veer.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 04:51   #47
CLOD

Boat: none
you're sailing around with an AK!
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 05:11   #48

Boat: Long range motor cruiser
I knew there was a reason I've yet to sail In U.S.A. waters. An AK47 in private hands is good reason for me.

P.
The message is the journey, we are sure the answer lies in the destination. But in reality, there is no station, no place to arrive at once and for all. The joy of life is the trip, and the station is a dream that constantly out distances us”. Robert Hastings, The Station
fishwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 05:59   #49
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by forsailbyowner View Post
... I got out the AK and was real close to sending some rounds into the pilot house ...
... He passed within 20 or 30 foot away ...
... this guy had no idea how close he was to 30 rounds spraying his pilothouse. My luck I would have hit him ....
Scarey to think that the author feels it would take "luck" to hit a pilot house with 30 rounds at 30 foot range, and still feels comfortable brandishing an assault rifle aboard.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 06:08   #50
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishwife View Post
I knew there was a reason I've yet to sail In U.S.A. waters. An AK47 in private hands is good reason for me.
this coming from somebody who is wintering in morocco?
Old 09-03-2010, 06:40   #51

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36
John A, The Cabo Rico is a tough boat. l am surprised you did not sink the Hatian junker.

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 07:15   #52
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
The boat was beamier than we were long. Hitting the pilothouse (or a person for that matter) would be a non issue, if you could see him. Aks are unbelievably cheap and abundant. My brother bought his new for $150. Shells are only ten cents apiece if you buy a flat. Must point out Semi automatic. The coasties have a great time during inspections. They get the manual out and do a field disassemble to check if its been modified for. Full automatic fire. Good training drill for them.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 07:55   #53

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Antares View Post
John A, The Cabo Rico is a tough boat. l am surprised you did not sink the Hatian junker.
Their boat was at least 90 feet long and of steel construction.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 08:43   #54

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
Quote:
Originally Posted by pressuredrop View Post
john - just curious which charity you donated the boat to? (wouldnt be the local seascouts, would it?), do you know if they sold her yet? reason i ask is i see your ex-boat everyday, it is anchored in the ICW still, not far from mine, and yesterday i noticed the companionway was open, but doesnt seem to be anyone home...
I left the boat in a slip at Riveria Beach, Flordia, where I'd been directed to by Lagoon Keepers, who took possession of the boat. Lagoon Keepers (www.lagoonkeepers.org) has the Coast Guard documanation, signed and witnessed by a notary public.

I received, from Lagoon Keepers, an IRS form signed by them detailing the transaction, to be used in last years tax reporting. An IRS number assigned to them as an approved charitable org. must be included on the form.

As a side note: the amount declared is a 'tax deduction' not a 'tax credit'. One must generate enough revenue to justify the deduction. Being on Social Security, I transfered funds from an IRA account and used the deduction to pay the taxes owed.

regards John
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2010, 05:57   #55

Location: Along the Manatee River in Southwest Florida. Little town called Ellenton.
Boat: 32 Hatteras and 26 foot former Navy Lifeboat
Years ago off of the Chesapeake we were on a 60 footer. I was thrown out of the bunk when we hit something or something hit us. As I came up on deck I saw a huge gray wall sliding along our port side going the other way. I looked up to see an American Warship. I never knew if he ever even saw us. Our Captain had gone to bed for a few hours and put a new kid on the wheel for his watch. The kid said he saw the blip on the radar coming at us but every time he would turn out of it's path it would change course. by the time the kid thought it was important enough to wake the captain, we were on a collision course with contact in seconds of the captain's feet hitting the bridge. We came off without a mark other than a little gray paint on the rubrail and no incident report was ever filed as far as I know. Scarry though. Had that ship hit us head on we would have been fishfood.
White Feather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2010, 13:26   #56

Boat: Clark, San Juan, 26
My guess is that he was a smuggler who mistook your flash at him as a signal to make the exchange.
Old 28-04-2010, 12:30   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Feather View Post
Years ago off of the Chesapeake we were on a 60 footer. I was thrown out of the bunk when we hit something or something hit us. As I came up on deck I saw a huge gray wall sliding along our port side going the other way. I looked up to see an American Warship. I never knew if he ever even saw us. Our Captain had gone to bed for a few hours and put a new kid on the wheel for his watch. The kid said he saw the blip on the radar coming at us but every time he would turn out of it's path it would change course. by the time the kid thought it was important enough to wake the captain, we were on a collision course with contact in seconds of the captain's feet hitting the bridge. We came off without a mark other than a little gray paint on the rubrail and no incident report was ever filed as far as I know. Scarry though. Had that ship hit us head on we would have been fishfood.
Something I have heard from some guys who've been on the other side of that one - it takes big boats a lot longer to turn. So they see a little boat turn, they turn the other way to avoid, but by the time you see it, you've tacked again and it looks like they're chasing you. Apparently they HATE it when it should be obvious the little guy knows they are there, but keeps tacking back and forth right in front of them.
Mariness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2010, 13:23   #58

Boat: Cascade
OK I learned somethng.

Light on sails not on other boat.

Check!

thanks
Old 28-04-2010, 16:04   #59

Location: Along the Manatee River in Southwest Florida. Little town called Ellenton.
Boat: 32 Hatteras and 26 foot former Navy Lifeboat
I agree with that. It was no doubt our helmsman's fault. We were a commercial clamer out of Cape Charles. We were in the wrong as the helmsman did not wake the Captain immeadeatly as he was supposed to do if he sighted any approaching vessel within our 15 mile radar ring. We were hundreds of miles at sea and had ample time to respond. I have captained vessels in excess of 250 feet and can tell you it does take considerable time to respond compared to the smaller boats we use in our lifestyle. I have not been on the helm of a warship or anything even near that big but I can appreciate his problem dealing with us little guys out there in the dark. Had we been a sailing vessel under sail we would still have been in the wrong. Tangeling with a warship is a no win situation. If it had happened in today's world we would have probubly been fired on as possible terrorists.
White Feather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 22:09   #60

Boat: Jeanneua 36
simaler thing happened to me just out side of singapore entrance.Those bluddy big tug boats really dont give a damb about port & starboard even when not toeing
bigpuff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas