Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-01-2013, 22:03   #241

Boat: Carver 3207 Aft Cabin, 32'
Quote:
Originally Posted by ty.gregory View Post
I almost called you a human eyeball, but that would have been unfair.

Squid eyeball would be nicer.
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 19:36   #242

Boat: Just Photographs & Memories Now
Re: Attempted Trip to Bermuda

Well shat, he's back! Got bored sitting in Venice, and it was such a nice day to jump to the outside, so I had no choice, and to the outside did I go. Down to Boca Grande, and spent the night in Pelican Bay, then it was a pissy morning this morning, but I was bored, and made my longest jump yet, on the outside to MARCO at @50 miles.

The plan leaving Venice, was to get up early, get some fuel, and head out SOUTH. The fuel pump had a line, and I didnt relish sitting in line, in the middle of the channel, so I said piss on that, and headed out. Leaving Venice inlet, the sea was like a mirror, and there was a good wind out of the northeast. I saw a stingray in front of me trying to fly I guess, the way he kept jumping out of the water. Maybe he was trying to avoid being breakfast. Made my left turn, and headed south. The wind wasnt much, but I kept the jib out and trimed. The winds were off an on all day, and until I reached the entrance to Boca Grande, the wind was rushing out of the southwest, and the turn into Boca Grande for me was a northeast motion. That wind caught my jib and PUFF it opened up. I thought I was doing pretty good at 7knots, with the motor going at 2100 rpm, which for me equals @4 knots, then I watched my gps speed go from 7.2 to 7.5 to 8.0 to 8.4 to 8.7 then 9.0 and 9.2 was the top, before I got scared and powered down, turned into the wind and furled the jib. Though for them few moments at 9.2 were exciting. I was barely heeled, and was surprised to be going so fast. Obviously, the current was a factor, but it didnt diminish the smile on my face. Now to find Pelican Bay, I turned south on the ICW, and just past the first marker, I saw some boats off to my oblique right. That must be the place I decided. I bared off to starboard, and pointed to the place. Now I had heard how to get into Pelican Bay, but couldnt remember which bank to get cozy with. The right (west) side looked ominous, but there were little warning bouys lined up to my left ina row, and that side looked better than beaching myself on the other side, so onward I went. I was almost at the little point, when I heard the VHF say, "the sailboat entering Pelican Bay, captain youre on the wrong side." I looked around and there were no other sailboats other than me. Hmmmm...he must mean me! I slammed on the brakes, spun around and headed backwards in my previous footsteps. Then I heard the same voice say, " ya need to get 100 feet off the beach on the west side, thats where the channel is". So I headed towards the ominous beachhead. Then the voice on the vhf said, stay next to the beach, and went you get past that little point, head for the ranger docks." SO I did, and thanked the voice on the radio, I found me a spot just past the ranger docks, and dropped the hook. It was a windy night, mixed with some rain. I was up and down all night checking the holding, making sure I didnt drift away. The next day was pissy weather, so I made plans to head to Marco the next morning. I woke this to raindrops, and looked outside, and it was blustry. I wanted to leave on a hightide, so it was go now or sit here another day. I pulled that damnable danforth, up and headed out the way I came in, almost exactally. Once I was clear of the Pelican Bay channel, I put the autopilot on and headed to the bow to straighten up anchor ropes, and added an extra anchor rope, just to make sure the anchor wouldnt go anywhere. The wind was out of the northeast, blustry, and the bay was more than a moderate chop, like the lady on the weather vhf channel says. They were surfing waves, and of course, while tying on a extra anchor hold rope, the boat did a nosedive, and I got a free bath from charlotte harbor. Soaked to the bone, I waddled back to the cockpit and headed out of boca grande channel. Went out to marker 10 and turned south, tossed the jib out and started to fly. Man oh man, what a glorious it was. All day, the winds were just right, and the seas were friendly. Once I cleared Sanibel off to my port and out out a few miles, I tried out "nekid sailing". Its a little overated, but it was different. I was rockin out to some latin jams I made on a cd, and was enjoying the afternoon. On about dark, I was about 5 miles from Marco Island. Wasnt to thrilled going into Capri Pass at night, and wasnt sure if there was any pre channel spots to drop a hook. So I called Jason, and he gave me an idea of a spot to check out. I got about a mile from the green marker going up capri pass, when the engine started to act like it was low on fuel. Cant be the fuel, I filled up this morning, but I checked anyway...nope 3/4 of a tank. I switched on the manual fuel pump, and the dang thing wouldnt start...**** **** ****....tried to crank the motor again, and it was a no go. Tried to hail TowboatUS (after all I am a member, and am sure to recoup my initial grand and 50 for my first tow) but no response on 16. Jason heard the call and got me hooked up with towboat. While waiting I fiddled with the manual fuel pump some more and got it working, but still wanted a tow in just in case something goes wrong and I am floating/drifting somewhere in the channel and cause some damage to me or someone. The towboatUS dude, says if I now have power, just follow him in. I wasnt liking that idea, for the previous reason, but relented and followed him in....then I got to thinking..I am a gold member in towboatUS....its this dudes job to TOW me and put me to a dock of my choosing, so I called the dude and said the motor quit again. He came around and tossed me a cradle, and We hooked up. Now when we get to Factory Bay, he says he gonna slow down when we get to the fuel docks. Well we get to the fuel docks and he slows down, but I am still moving at @3 knots, these old seafarers like to glide. He hollars back to me...he can you STOP? WTF I thought, how am I gonna stop this boat, besides he's got me like 3 feet from the dock, maybe he is thinking I am gonna jump outta my boat on to the fuel dock as we pass by with a rope in my hand? I hollared ahead, the dock is to far to jump and I cant stop this boat. So the dude now has to tie up quick to me before I go slamming into a mega yacht parked a couple 100 feet away. He gets me stopped, but not before causing me a near fatal heartattack. Now, he ties his boat up to mine, but we are now in a spot where we cannot turn around, and have to back out. Its dark, my dingy in the davits is inches from the mega yacht bow sprit....slowly we get backed out and turned around. Now he is on my port side, and the fuel dock is on my starboard. He cant judge the distance from my boat and the fuel dock, and at 4 feet away, with a rope in my hand, I make the leap! safely on the dock I get my boat tied up, and here I sit. At the factory bay marina in Marco Fl. Thanks Jason for all your help through this mess, will be by tomorrow and visit. And Rocketman, I left a mesage on your cell, hope to see ya too while I am here.
BlackOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 19:59   #243

Boat: Lord Nelson 35
Send a message via Skype™ to CapnZiggy

Keep on posting
Still considering Bermuda?
Old 05-01-2013, 20:15   #244

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Hey Black Oak I thought you swallowed the anchor! So not selling the boat after all?

For future reference, the towing boat, when you get near your dock, should make up to your quarter, on whichever side will be offshore when docking. His stern should stick out a considerable distance aft of your own stern. He should have a bow and fwd spring line running to your bow and a stern cleat or a cleat just fwd of your stern, and he should have a line running from his quarter closest to you, to your onshore stern cleat. This allows him to push, pull, and steer you. Even a small towing vessel can maneuver a larger towed vessel in this manner. Your towboatus guy needs some training, I think. He should know all that.
GrowleyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 20:26   #245

Boat: Just Photographs & Memories Now

I doubt bermuda by seafarer, and the boat is still for sale. Me and boats dont mix well...though I havent met a boat person I didnt like!! Yall are great and an awesome community, i just feel like a square peg in a round hole.
BlackOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 20:56   #246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
i dont judge or put down others or give unwanted advice if not asked. If i was that type of guy id be a golfer.
++ LOL!
sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 20:56   #247

Boat: PETERSON 44
Remember the part where he yells hey can you stop. Get it together. Stop the BS. Actually keep it going pretty sure a bunch are enjoying this. I do but it's fiction or complete reckless stupidity.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 21:01   #248

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Aw ease off, Sabray. A mild chastisement should be quite sufficient. Gratuitous insults are not necessary or appropriate. He is still learning the basics. Anyway I don't want him discouraged. I wanna see what happens next! LOL!
GrowleyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 21:17   #249

Boat: PETERSON 44
I was all for it but now... Weeping oak has turned me tide. All good to call it out I think.. Weeping oak if he's made of good stuff can take a kick from a working guy. Special how he likes getting into every harbor via tow can't anchor . Woooo be him.
Right weeping oak.
II didn't get sailing by sitting around some club with papa. I worked hard and tried to have a clue. But it's all fun so lets encourage more cruising
I think he should ditch the boat and apply a Dick Francis style to a boating series.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 21:28   #250

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
For $%&# sake most if his travels thus far are coastal, hes been cautious, again some of you "sailors" irritate the living sh%t out of me with your pompous arrogant ways those of you who look down disdainfully cause a dock lines not tied perfectly correct, or the teak isnt oiled just so, or the sail trim isnt just right. I have sailed since i was 5 , my first experience was taking off across a 50 mile lake gone for 10 hours mom crapped herself police were called etc. I sailed back (miracuously) to everyones surprise. I dont pride myself on expertise i still ask questions all the time sometimes knowing the answer but wanting reassurance, i dont judge or put down others or give unwanted advice if not asked. If i was that type of guy id be a golfer. I guess some just leave the training wheels on their bikes until they have their drivers license. Real nice thread drift you —---- fill in the blank.
When you were 5, how many times have you been towed back in? In all your years, rescued how many times?

Hope you stoped frightening your Mom!
Old 05-01-2013, 21:33   #251

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Stocking View Post
Actually Gary,

Sir Edmund's response was,"because it is there"
The quote of mine comes from a motivational lecture by Zig Ziglar, maybe. Maybe Jay Douglas Edwards. The point is, successful people plan, they don't just toss themselves to the winds to see which way they blow.
Old 05-01-2013, 21:47   #252

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElGatoGordo View Post

Wow!! A free of charge, feature legnth movie well worth any sailor's (as opposed to Yachty) time. Blackoak, you should REALLY see that video and read the other stuff on the blog Blue Anarchy Sea Collective I really enjoyed it!!

Gary, get real man. You can't show us one post that says "Hey, Blackoak, good job, you did this right from the start!" Everyone has encouraged him to learn, and get it right, and keep trying. Even HE has agreed he was stupid. And now he's learning and sailing and maybe even regretting it, we'll see! I think you're jealous I have met a few people that are just PISSED that I'm having fun, especially since I spend pennies to their thousands, and still enjoy the same water!

You who are discussing evolution/Intelligent design should be embarrassed that you are answering each other, and the mods should be embarrassed that they let you!
The reason I have not encouraged him, I still think, to some degree, we are all being had. I think the events in this thread are possibly no more real than WCW or Days Of Our Lives. I know I felt that way at first. I would have bet anyone ten bucks. Then the feeling of fiction gave way to a feeling of yearning for sobriety. I stayed away from this thread for several days, then I fell in it again, catching up on the latest chapters and the host of comments.

I am amazed at the folks that say, let him learn by doing. Good thing these people are not handgun instructors or driver ed teachers.
Old 05-01-2013, 22:26   #253

We may turn page 18
Old 05-01-2013, 22:28   #254

Damn, it IS PAGE 18th.
Old 05-01-2013, 22:34   #255

I had forgotten his boat was a 34 footer. That is a larger boat than mine, heavier. My lake is always calm, and shore is always in sight. I can't imagine heading off in the night, sailing away from the mainland to a group of far away islands with zero experience. The odds of that working, in a 40+ year old sailboat, hand picked by someone with no sailing experience is what? .02%? Less? Much less?

Sure, I would love big water, blue water. However, if I had the goal to do what he did, I would butter my bread before I put the turkey on it. Preperation, planning, education, equipment and so forth.

I do think we learned something from all of this. I learned to keep reading, keep learning, keep sailing.

Tags
Bermuda, bermuda