Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 28-11-2012, 20:54   #76

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard5 View Post
Paragon should not be used to show what it's like on a passage. His character is his worst foe. I saw someone said he's experienced but he "forgot" even a basic like tying stopper knots on the sheets? Or leaving full sail for night? Ok, so he's convincing with his command of terms but I had my suspicions in the first 3 minutes of Part 1. The guy is a walking cluster. To the question of, Would I sail with him as part of crew? the answer is decidedly a resounding no! Reverse Midas touch or what, he's a carrier out to infect others. Should be quarantined.

He reminds me of a guy I once knew. A real looney tune he had a beautiful S&S 32' sloop but would only sail inside the protected bay and estuary. Once, after I finally was able to convince him to venture beyond the breakwater, the guy came even more unhinged. It's character that counts.

On the other hand, I say Black Oak has it in spades. I'll take the inexperienced honest guy over a guy like Paragon anyday.
Would you say he is Joe average on an above average older vessel? Yes, he documented himself making simple errors that showed poorly on his preparation, but who can single hand and be the video production crew all in one? If I had his skill set, I would be pleased. Plus his series is informative and entertaining.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:51   #77

Re: Attempted Trip to Bermuda

OMG!! I could not wait to sign up/register so I could reply! Way to funny on the writing...I love it! As a person who is yet to purchase my own boat or have even stepped aboard a sailboat, I was laughing so hard. I am also planning to get a boat some day and I can see myself following in your footsteps! Great sense of humor on the posts, thanks for being so honest and matter of fact about your experiences. I will look forward to many more posts from you as your journey begins!

Eric
520eek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 12:25   #78

Boat: CS 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard5 View Post
Paragon should not be used to show what it's like on a passage. His character is his worst foe. I saw someone said he's experienced but he "forgot" even a basic like tying stopper knots on the sheets? Or leaving full sail for night? Ok, so he's convincing with his command of terms but I had my suspicions in the first 3 minutes of Part 1. The guy is a walking cluster. To the question of, Would I sail with him as part of crew? the answer is decidedly a resounding no! Reverse Midas touch or what, he's a carrier out to infect others. Should be quarantined.

He reminds me of a guy I once knew. A real looney tune he had a beautiful S&S 32' sloop but would only sail inside the protected bay and estuary. Once, after I finally was able to convince him to venture beyond the breakwater, the guy came even more unhinged. It's character that counts.

On the other hand, I say Black Oak has it in spades. I'll take the inexperienced honest guy over a guy like Paragon anyday.
Wow, I don't see a lack of character at all from his videos. Have you watched his other series'?
Chrisgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 12:38   #79
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Trisbal 42, Aluminum Cutter Rigged Sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisgo

Wow, I don't see a lack of character at all from his videos. Have you watched his other series'?
I agree. All i see is an average skilled single hander. I have anchored next to and sailed with people with far less skills, far less heroism and far less honesty.

So easy to judge so hard to look in the mirror.

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
foolishsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 12:55   #80

Boat: Tayana 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryMayo View Post
I am all about this benefit of a doubt stuff, but i think we have someone taking a creative writting course and we are the sounding board.

If this is all real, commit to leaving that boat in coastal waters for day adventures while you monitor the weather apps on your smartphone. Sounds like you have as much business in blue water as i do. Lol
My thoughts exactly!
Bijimini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 16:35   #81

Boat: Just Photographs & Memories Now

Still here at Pete's Pier in Crystal River, Fl. My slip has a clear view of the boat ramp, and it can be alot of entertainment on some days, especially the weekends. Spent the morning re-rigging the main sail, to make it easier for me, of course with the help of Captain Shelly. She laughed when she saw how I hoisted the mainsail. This boat uses 1/4" wire halyard, so once you get the sail hoisted, and look down, you have a slinky at your feet. Its ALL wire, and really tough on the hands. She told me I should get to a rigger and change out all the damn wire to line. She had me make up some reefing lines, and I put them in the little holes on the sail, and figure 8 knoted them on either side of the little holes, and she said that if I ever needed to reef fast, the lines are already in place. She showed me how to me raise the boom up and keep it up, so I wouldnt have to always fold back the bimini when setting up the mainsail. Explained to me how the traveler works, and the best way to set it in different winds. Showed me how to rig a "on the fly" boom vang when out in the ocean and the boom is bouncing too much. As well as a few other tips and suggestions.
Then we went out into Kings Bay, and I spent the day tacking and jibbing with only the main up, doing a bunch of figure eights, and dodging small boats, and one old fart on a wave runner that missed my boat by about 3 feet. The guy was intently looking at the dashboard of the wave runner, and until I whistled real loud did he look up at me and the boat. It was dicey there for a few moments.
I must say, that my little seafarer 34, points to the wind rather nicely. Though I did have a bit of a problem practicing my controlled jibbing. Captain Shelly showed me the proper way, and as I watch her at the wheel, then turning around and watching the boom swing from port to starboard, as if it was in slow motion. Me myself, I would get into a turn, and the boom would ever so gently start to travel from starboard to port, after about 3 long lingering moments, there was sudden WHOOSH..and a BANG and the boom would be on the port side. I need to practice on that a bit more Captain Shelly said to me. Oh, she told me to stop going to Big Lots to get rope for my boat too.

Staying in a marina, while the boat ramp is entertaining at times, those trips to the laundromat was wearing me out. So I got a little bike off craigslist, and a 2 wheeler frigerator dolly at Home Depot, and now I look like a homeless dude. But it is working out really great. I stuff my dirty clothes in my duffle bag, and bungee it to the dolly, then I bungee the dolly to the back of the bike, then I bungee a plastic basket to the dolly above the dufflebag, and off to the landromat I go. While the clothes are washing, I do my grocery shopping at the Save-a-Lot around the corner. Slide the plastic basket down to the bottom of the dolly, and put my groceries in the basket, then finish my laundry, and bungee the duffle above the plastic basket, and slide it down so my groceries dont fall out. I ride back to the marina, onto the docks, and to my slip. Though the other day, I cut one of the corners a little to sharp, and the right dolly wheel went off the dock, and then the dolly went into the drink, along with my groceries, my dufflebag, my bike, and me. Now I walk down the docks, pushing my bike instead of riding it.

I think monday, I will do a overnighter to Anclote Key, and then back to Crystal River. Prolly will get lost, head east, call TowBoatsUS, and get put into another marina somewhere. Wonderful thing about me and sailing......never knowing where I'm gonna end up once I step out into the ocean.
BlackOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 20:17   #82

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft

Dude. You went off the dock on your bike? That's rugged.

Gybing takes practice. Get the steps memorized, and even then it is an art to gybe nice and smooth, especially singlehanded. Just not the kind of thing you're born being good at, so stick with it. I avoid gybing in heavy winds singlehanded, and instead head up, tack, then fall off the wind. Shelly sounds like the bomb.
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 21:33   #83

Kersplash you went! So once you got all your gear and belongings out of the drink, it was back to the laundry again! And groceries! That really bites. Anyhow, I hope when my turn comes around I will run into a "capn Shelly" ! So rope at big lots is a no no? LOL
520eek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 23:18   #84

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Quote:
I am all about this benefit of a doubt stuff, but i think we have someone taking a creative writting course and we are the sounding board.
She points real nice. Does she? How would you know that?

Just how many sailboats have you pointed into the wind?

Click image for larger version

Name:	tumblr_mczt2nllsR1rc5gxjo1_400.jpeg
Views:	794
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	50580
Old 02-12-2012, 03:29   #85
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOak View Post
She laughed when she saw how I hoisted the mainsail. This boat uses 1/4" wire halyard, so once you get the sail hoisted, and look down, you have a slinky at your feet. Its ALL wire, and really tough on the hands. She told me I should get to a rigger and change out all the damn wire to line.
1/4 inch wire is big! Hopefully that means the wire was a cheapo solution by a PO to replace rope - otherwise will likely need the sheeve(?) block at the top of the mast to be replaced to fit a rope halyard (block will be too small for the rope and will likely jam).

FWIW, one older boat I used a lot also had wire halyards - but those ran on winches on the mast (so no slinky on deck!). You might have some unexplained screw holes on your mast!.....but that is an old school way of doing things so I would not seek to replace those if that is the case.

If funds are tight (especially if need to drop the mast / replace the sheeve block) then can always keep the wire and get a rigger to shorten it and then splice on rope - so on deck you no longer get a slinky! and kinder to your hands.......in any event likely will need a trip up the mast .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 04:17   #86

Boat: Hunter 430

BlackOak, keep the posts coming...that's some good stuff!

Best advice I can give you is from my wife: Sailing is fun until the motor quits. Diesel engines need CLEAN FUEL.....invest in a Racor fuel filter and a whole mess o' replacement filters. Oh, and change them often.

You can get yourself out of all kinds of scariness with a dependable Yanmar! Best of luck to ya....
hogfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 04:31   #87

This is the halyard I use to raise the main. maybe not 1/4" maybe 3/16" ?
Old 02-12-2012, 04:37   #88

My folding bike (100 bucks craiglist)

My dingy (300 bucks craiglist)

Here is a link to all my photos so far since getting my boat. I will add when I take more.
http://s202.photobucket.com/albums/a...ntures%202012/
Old 02-12-2012, 04:43   #89

Quote:
She points real nice. Does she? How would you know that?

Just how many sailboats have you pointed into the wind?

Attachment 50580
I have pointed ONE sailboat into the wind. Captain Shelly, who has been sailing continuously for the past 40+ years commented that my boat pointed nicely into the wind. Being a NUB, I would accept that comment from a seasoned bonifide Captain.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:02   #90

Boat: Seafarer 38 cutter rigged
Send a message via MSN to Allan S

Blackoak, great post! My wife and I are just a couple of years behind you. If we listened to the naysayers, we probably wouldn't even venture out of our driveway. Live and learn from your mistakes. I can honestly say I have never repeated a mistake, I always find a new one to do. BTW, we just bought our Seafarer 38.
Allan S is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bermuda, bermuda