Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-02-2015, 16:58   #556

Re: Attempted Trip to Bermuda

OMG!!! I absolutely love this post! Thank you so much for writing it! I'm basically a newbie too and am hoping to buy a boat and set sail in the next 1-2 yrs with my family. Reading this doesn't scare me off at all, I think it makes me want to get out there even more. I'll definitely do my homework and start learning as much as possible before the big trip. Thanks again!

Rich

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Coops75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 22:29   #557

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

You can learn a lot from BO's adventure/misadventures. I think the biggest lesson is that perseverance can get you through a lot of stuff, and panic complicates things that generally have a simple solution.

Oh, and taking things in baby steps at first, flattening out the learning curve, makes things easier. It's pretty tough to just buy a boat, jug of water, pack of baloney and loaf of wonder bread and just sail away cold.

If u start out with a little daysailer that u can pull around on a trailer, and make your mistakes within an hour or two sail from the dock, you will probably save a lot of grief and expense. Try not to be a poster boy for Sea Tow!

One final word regarding getting home when everything else fails...

Oars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops75 View Post
OMG!!! I absolutely love this post! Thank you so much for writing it! I'm basically a newbie too and am hoping to buy a boat and set sail in the next 1-2 yrs with my family. Reading this doesn't scare me off at all, I think it makes me want to get out there even more. I'll definitely do my homework and start learning as much as possible before the big trip. Thanks again!

Rich

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 09-02-2015, 09:14   #558

Boat: Hughes Nothstar 1500 35’

Great Read bought my new to me boat late last fall First sailboat 35' planning to sail this summer on lake huron for some pratice and then coastal cruising after I retire Some gret lessons to be learned.
Mnbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2018, 08:03   #559

Location: Thhe boat is in Titusville, FL and we're back in CO for a few months resupplying the cruising kitty and raising money for our childrens dental charity www.sailing4smiles.com
Boat: 1982 Cape Dory 36 Hull #78

A current CF post linked to this thread and I just finished it, took 3 days and I’m sad to see it end but hoping to see him back on the water with new tales of his misadventures, adventures and destinations. I must admit it’s been my favorite so far and BO definitely has a flair for writing. This thread had given me a “if he can do it so can we attitude.”
Leaving this Nov 2018.
SSgtPitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2018, 09:57   #560

Boat: Custom cutter, 42'

This is my favorite thread on Cruisers Forum. It's a joy to read.
Pauls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2018, 20:51   #561

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSgtPitt View Post
A current CF post linked to this thread and I just finished it, took 3 days and I’m sad to see it end but hoping to see him back on the water with new tales of his misadventures, adventures and destinations. I must admit it’s been my favorite so far and BO definitely has a flair for writing. This thread had given me a “if he can do it so can we attitude.”
Leaving this Nov 2018.
I'm glad it has encouraged you, SSgtPitt. One difference seems to be that you already know the 6 P's. It is just that it's hard to plan well when you don't know what you don't know.

If you reflect back on this thread, a few of the things that stand out for me were the advice to learn about anchors and anchoring, and kedging; learning about piloting, learning about what kinds of equipment can help you with piloting and navigation; and learning to enjoy the slow, at peace feeling that comes from sailing without the engine on, and you can troll for those fish while you're underway. Having a functioning autopilot helps a singlehander a lot, and I think having a dodger does, too.

I'll be delighted if BlackOak ever returns here, and your adventures may just supplant his. One never knows.

Ann
Old 15-11-2018, 19:22   #562

Boat: MacGregor 26

Just read the majority of this.

He lived in this thread like so many of us wish we could. When he makes it to the Pearly Gates, St Peter is going to ask him to tell the part again about how he found religion that first trip.

Epic journey. Epic personality.

Loved it.
Hoosierdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2018, 20:01   #563

LOL!!!
Cool. I enjoyed that.
I think you are learning. What you need to learn next is the difference difference between , lets say "daring" and lets say "dangerous".
Two very different things.
Good luck,
you'll get there...... Probably.
Allied39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2018, 12:19   #564

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosierdoc View Post
Just read the majority of this.

He lived in this thread like so many of us wish we could. When he makes it to the Pearly Gates, St Peter is going to ask him to tell the part again about how he found religion that first trip.

Epic journey. Epic personality.

Loved it.
One of my favorite threads on CF ever.
Willie11b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 08:52   #565

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,
Re: I Need a Ride to Bermuda

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
Way to go BlackOak, determination always gets you where you want to go.
Parallel to you learning how to sail, make sure your navigation skills are good for offshore work. Bermuda is surrounded by reefs and is a low-lying island - you need to know how to negotiate the gulf stream and how to get there. Take heed from the previous post and learn as much as you can from the reference books. Take a look at the pilot charts and pick the most favourable time - best time is around May, June. Been there a couple times, post any questions you may have.

Are you planning to stay there for long?
Good luck on your trip down and have fun!
==========================================
Hi s/vTatia
have all the available electronic and paper charts,however do not have any book/guide?on how to navigate aproach and guidance into St George Harbour
any suggestions?
thanks
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 15:11   #566

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by davil View Post
==========================================
Hi s/vTatia
have all the available electronic and paper charts,however do not have any book/guide?on how to navigate aproach and guidance into St George Harbour
any suggestions?
thanks
I think I replied to you somewhere else (the "other" forum), but if you create a waypoint just outside of the Town Cut entrance buoy it will be pretty easy to go in (daylight!) the entrance is well marked.
But you'll have to contact Bermuda Harbor Radio on your approach, they wil lbe able to help you if you get lost.... They will see you before you know it.
Good luck, Bermuda is a great place, I liked so much I stayed 5 years.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 15:47   #567

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Ha! Ive sailed to Bermuda twice now...and have seen very little of Bermuda...spent my limited time there working on the boats that got me there before shoving off for somewhere else.

I think to see Bermuda, Im going to have to travel there by conventional means.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 10:37   #568

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
I think I replied to you somewhere else (the "other" forum), but if you create a waypoint just outside of the Town Cut entrance buoy it will be pretty easy to go in (daylight!) the entrance is well marked.
But you'll have to contact Bermuda Harbor Radio on your approach, they wil lbe able to help you if you get lost.... They will see you before you know it.
Good luck, Bermuda is a great place, I liked so much I stayed 5 years.
===================================
yes you responded on another thread,but thank you again for taking the time
David
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2021, 20:53   #569

Boat: Haven't seen it yet. Bought on Ebay

Feel like it is time to bring BlackOaks adventures back.
Old 18-08-2021, 21:36   #570

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft

Oh my, is this the guy that was rolling around on his cabin sole in the Gulf, having struck out on a coastal passage with no experience and precious little knowledge? Begging the coast guard to rescue him, and them giving him a pep talk? "Just keep heading this way mister"....lol

Why is this etched in my memory? Maybe I'm running things together, but I just have memories of this guy riding a fold up bike on the docks with some makeshift rig in tow for supplies. And he fell in the water, no? This guy was really honest about how unprepared, mal-adapted, and over sailing he was, in one compact timeline.

This guy got a serious beatdown from his sailing experience. We can all appreciate some of his trials. I like to learn from the the Black Oak's (BO) of the world, but we all have our BO moments.

I for instance, ran inlets with abandon when I first started cruising. Twice. The third time, I finally had my wife and two children on board, and discovered this phenomenon - wind against current. In identical wind conditions, what was a placid, 'familiar' inlet turned into big standing waves, angry frothing jetties to the lee, and traffic everywhere.

My wife is trying to batten down the hatches while tending to the youngest child's vomit down below, while I wrestled the wheel like our life depended on it. The big Carolina boat wakes did not help. The oldest child loved it, she said, "cool daddy this is like riding a bucking bronco!" *face in palms*

We had a lot of great adventures after this, and we all remember it fondly. I guess it just as easily could have gone the way of BO

Cheers-
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bermuda, bermuda