Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 13-08-2013, 03:27   #511

Boat: 1968 Hinterhoel Redwing
Agreed!

Old 12-10-2013, 10:47   #512

Just finished catching up. Great thread! Has anybody heard from BO?

Old 12-10-2013, 12:51   #513
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400
Re: Attempted Trip to Bermuda

I have called him a couple of times, but he has not answered or returned my calls. I found out from endof the road that he sold his boat and is now back at home with the wife and family. I also heard that he may be looking for another boat, maybe a little bigger one this time. Who knows. It was fun while it lasted. I suspect if he finds another boat we will hear from BO again.

Like the saying goes "You can take the sailor away from the sea but you can't take the sea out of the sailor"
Old 12-10-2013, 12:59   #514
Marine Service Provider

This has been an exciting story, that's for sure!!

I wish him and his much luck.
beachbum29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 16:59   #515

Boat: 28 ft Intrepid, hull #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
I have called him a couple of times, but he has not answered or returned my calls. I found out from endof the road that he sold his boat and is now back at home with the wife and family. I also heard that he may be looking for another boat, maybe a little bigger one this time. Who knows. It was fun while it lasted. I suspect if he finds another boat we will hear from BO again.

Like the saying goes "You can take the sailor away from the sea but you can't take the sea out of the sailor"
Oh goodness... I must be the only cynic still subcribed to this thread for whatever compelling reason. Sorry but I ain't buying this story and I'll repeat what I previously posted on this thread.

"Ah yes... Key West, aka The Conch Republic, a mystical utopia of so-called bliss with its own set of rules and where a good portion of its local populace is either on the lam or running away from something."

And while this thread may come across as entertaining and candid, I nevertheless found it to be cluttered with inconsistencies and a tad bit incredulous to say the least.

Key West truly is the "End of the Road" and "off the grid" so to speak. Let me put it this way... if I were a probation officer in search of someone, Key West would be the first place I'd go looking. So yeah, there may indeed be a compelling reason why your phone calls haven't been returned. I'm jest' saying.
S/V Blondie-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 17:55   #516

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Blondie-Dog View Post
Oh goodness... I must be the only cynic still subcribed to this thread for whatever compelling reason. Sorry but I ain't buying this story and I'll repeat what I previously posted on this thread.

"Ah yes... Key West, aka The Conch Republic, a mystical utopia of so-called bliss with its own set of rules and where a good portion of its local populace is either on the lam or running away from something."

And while this thread may come across as entertaining and candid, I nevertheless found it to be cluttered with inconsistencies and a tad bit incredulous to say the least.

Key West truly is the "End of the Road" and "off the grid" so to speak. Let me put it this way... if I were a probation officer in search of someone, Key West would be the first place I'd go looking. So yeah, there may indeed be a compelling reason why your phone calls haven't been returned. I'm jest' saying.
I am not sure what you are not buying, I hung out with black oak, I met his wife and daughter. I was there when he sold his boat and left for the airport. He is a decent and funny guy who chose his family over a boat. I consider him a friend
Old 12-10-2013, 18:07   #517

Boat: PETERSON 44
The guy came near to being the US version of capt calamity. He had a nice writing style but sailing was not one if his talents.
Old 12-10-2013, 21:20   #518

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28
Blondie, your totally mistaken.
The entire story is true.
I have much more that could be added as I'm a good friend of Blackoak but I'm choosing not to.
Motion30 and Rocketman both know it's legit also.
endoftheroad
Old 12-10-2013, 21:40   #519

Boat: 1981 Endeavour 37 & 1990 MacGregor 26 Classic

Not sure why people have to belittle others for what they have done. Sure he made mistakes but he just didn't stretch them out over years like some probably have. He went for it and I admire him for that. It takes guts to do what he did and I believe every word of it,

Sum
Sumner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2013, 07:14   #520
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

I respect the guy for being honest about his failings. And at least he tried.
Old 13-10-2013, 09:38   #521
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
I respect the guy for being honest about his failings. And at least he tried.
Take from those who know BO, this story is absolutely true, not that it madders to me or anyone else.

BO is a great guy, very truthful, funny, and full of stories. He writes just like he talks. His whole life is full of stories because he has not sat in an armchair dreaming of doing something, he actually does it, sometimes to his own failing. I for one hope he makes it back out there, I am sure he will do it different next time if there is a next time.

This story is the perfect example of someone doing something and not knowing what they did not know. I am positive that now, with a little bit of knowledge, BO would not do things the same way. He simply did not know better. BO is actually not a risk taker my nature. He simply did not know he was taking any kind of a real risk.

I think that before anyone out there jumps into the cruising life style with little or no experience, they should be required to read this thread.
Old 13-10-2013, 10:24   #522

Boat: 1976 Cal 2-27

He jumped in with both feet flat, and made his splash. His learning curve was steep and rocky because he just WENT for it. Bought a boat, loaf of bread and pack of baloney, cast off his lines and went wobbling off to sea. Of course he had a series of calamities! He did the whole process, by himself, overnight, while most cruisers take years to get to the point where they go to sea solo. I don't see him as more or as less quick to learn as the next guy, just a guy who likes to go charging right in and figure it out on the fly. And I really liked his posts, and I hope we see him on here again.

We have heard from members who actually met the man, actually helped him with his boat, even met his family. How can any reasonable person still think he is just some guy having his joke on us?
GrowleyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2013, 11:06   #523

Boat: OPB
Because that is easier than admitting to ones self that one should stop making excuses and just go for it, because if he could do it anyone can. Having that rubbed in your face can be irritating to the less stout of heart. It is easier for some to deny the truth rather than face it. Not picking on anyone in particular, this is just my observation of human nature based on real past experiences.
Old 14-10-2013, 07:48   #524

Boat: PSC 34
Like BO, in my own case, to find out if I wanted to be more than a coastal cruiser, I needed to throw off the dock lines(actually mooring line) and just head south. After a few days I discovered that I really did not like Singlehanding 10 hours a day. I was totally prepared, charts,solar,wind,SSB, cruising guides,perfect boat. I was not having any fun. So I changed plans and gunk holed my way home with no schedule or sense of urgency. Some friends were a little surprised but my experienced cruising friends gave me more support. After 40 years of flying fighters, bombers and airliners all over the world, I just don't need any more "adventures". I am going to haul my boat in a week or so for the winter and am quite content. So Black Oak to me seems like quite an interesting and entertaining character. I think I would enjoy a cold one with him. Al
Old 23-10-2013, 18:11   #525

Boat: Watkins Sea Wolf 25

Now that "All Is Lost" and "Captain Phillips" are in theaters, perhaps Hollywood can turn its attention to "Black Oak." I don't think I've laughed so hard or been so moved in ages. I'd definitely pay $19 for the Imax experience of this thread.

Tags
Bermuda, bermuda

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: