Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 15-03-2013, 12:00   #496

Boat: Seafarer 34 Sloop
Re: Attempted Trip to Bermuda

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Cruiser View Post
BO you do have great skill at writing I've enjoyed reading along on your travels. I'am contemplating a cruise down river to Memphis what can you tell me about Mudd Island marina? Thought of staying there over the winter months. Good luck getting your wife comfortable being on a boat. My wife was afraid of boats & any water not in a pool, our 1st trip to a local lake 25 years ago resulted in towing our 21' day cruiser back home. When we got to the launch ramp & she saw the whitecaps on the main lake the only thing she said was "I'am not going out there" we all laugh about it now but me & the kids were all disappointed that we couldn't go for a boat ride. Flash forward a few years & she has cruised several hundred miles on lakes & rivers, she has also been out sailing on that same local lake in my sweet sixteen. So there is the possibility of your wife having a change in attitude toward boats, again good luck.
Mud Island Marina, well its on the penisula, directly across the Wolf River is downtown Memphis. You will need your own transportation to get to any of the shopping areas, which are quite a distance away, and by the city bus is not advisable. Its not a safe area once ya leave the Marina. There is a tram that runs from downtown to Mud Island, also a walkway above the tram. I would not suggest traveling the downtown streets after dark, and during the day be sure to be keen of things around you. There is a trolley that run the streets of downtown Memphis, which are handy, and its a buck a ride, then again, only during the daylight should you travel on them. Memphis has a high crime rate, so be wary. Summertime in Memphis is hot and humid.

For food, The Arcade Restaurant has the best breakfast reasonably priced, and is the oldest operating restaurant in Memphis. There are scores of restaurants downtown that server up some good chow. Check out the Peabody, The Rendevous, and Blues Alley. Doing Beale Street is a good place to people watch, and they have a few good spots to eat and consume adult beverages.

All these things should be done during daylight hours...and be back on the boat before dark. Skeeters can be a problem at the marina, they immigrate from arkansas across the river at night.

Hope ya enjoy your stay in Memphis.

Old 15-03-2013, 12:02   #497

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac0rn View Post
Hey BlackOak,

I'm trying to figure out where you were really trying to go that first day/night. In the posts, you say Fort Pierce, but that's on the other coast... You say the Coast Guard told you you were 85 miles away, but only 35 from Hommassa, and you ended up on the Crystal River. So i've been looking south of there, and can't find anything... Port Richey maybe??

--arthur
Maybe it could be made into a movie if we get some sex and a murder.
I'll work on that part.

Old 09-04-2013, 08:11   #498

Boat: Polaris Drabant 26

Hello BO,

I'm probably a bit late joining this thread – only fell across it recently and wanted to read all of it before posting. Want to thank you for your honesty, your spirit and your willingness to share both good and not-so-good experiences with us.

And I really don't want the story to end here (sorry EOTR …).

I hope you will be tender and wise when trying to turn your wife on to sailing. Please be very careful when you take her out the first few times – a bad trip may spoil everything. But maybe you'll get lucky and get yourself the best companion of all :-)

Best of luck!
Old 27-04-2013, 20:56   #499

Boat: Sabre 1984 Mark II 38'

So I was wondering....did you replant your feet on terra firma? Or just taking a little more time to get back to it?
Weather is getting nice. Hope to hear more.
Kimball
Old 28-04-2013, 09:43   #500

Boat: Seafarer 34 Sloop

The plan is still on, but looking at early June. Wife and Kid headed thissaway middle May, so gonna head out after they head back home. Looked at the route, so far I am likin skimming across through the Berry Islands from Key West, to the southern tip of Abaco, then an oblique left to Bermuda. Thats the plan anyways. Always good to have a plan. Besides its the more direct route, instead of running up the coast, then shoot across. I have no time frame, just plenty of food water and diesel, and a bucket full of wrenches and parts.
Old 28-04-2013, 17:53   #501

Boat: Moccasins and pony

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOak View Post
The plan is still on, but looking at early June. Wife and Kid headed thissaway middle May, so gonna head out after they head back home. Looked at the route, so far I am likin skimming across through the Berry Islands from Key West, to the southern tip of Abaco, then an oblique left to Bermuda. Thats the plan anyways. Always good to have a plan. Besides its the more direct route, instead of running up the coast, then shoot across. I have no time frame, just plenty of food water and diesel, and a bucket full of wrenches and parts.
Gonna be one hell of a story.

Another year learning to make the boat go places efficiently with sails wouldn't hurt, heaving to, setting anchors, etc. Can fumble through the rest, but gotta keep the boat moving and save the diesel. Keep using this forum for advice and local knowledge, ie: "rages" in the Bahamas. Experience and knowledge really do mitigate risk, but you have to get it somewhere.

Go get it dude, and get an EPIRB
Old 29-04-2013, 22:14   #502

Boat: 1976 Cal 2-27

+1 on the epirb. Nice to have SSB or sat phone, too. But a decent shortwave receiver and good antlers will enable you to get the weather report/forecasts both voice and fax.

At least one crew gives you the ability to keep a proper lookout at all times. There will be ships. Lots of ships. They might not see you. They might not even be awake. We call the 4 to 8 watch the "snore to eight" LOL. I have singlehanded with 15 to 20 minute catnaps but it is far from ideal and some would call it irresponsible. Well, I do it anyway, sometimes, but consider the alternative, taking one or two others along with you so you can stand 6 or 4 hour watches round the clock. Much safer.

Do you have a backup method of navigation that does not rely on electricity? You know how undependable that electricity stuff is. You should have two completely separate methods of determining your position, and you need a way of checking your compass daily. Particularly after lightning strikes or near misses. With no fixed navigation markers in mid-ocean, that leaves celestial methods. So you have three very good reasons, at least, for learning the basics of celestial navigation. It isn't as hard as some people make it out to be.

A few more details, BO, and I think you will be ready to go for it.
GrowleyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 17:21   #503

Boat: IP 40

BlackOak, I have to admit this has been one of my favorite threads here so far. Not saying I want to do it exactly the way you have, but I truly admire anyone with the intestinal fortitude to jump in with both feet and commit to living life your way. As someone who hopes to make a similar transition in a few years, I just wanted to say thanks and I appreciate your willingness to share what you're learning along the way and the day-to-day triumphs and tragedies.

Fair winds, be safe, and enjoy YOUR voyage!
Old 17-06-2013, 01:19   #504

34 pages and 500+ posts. Yet I yearn for more. I bought my 373 almost a year ago and I have only sailed 362 nm. I have been within sight of land throughout. Work (time) has prevented me from getting farther than the panhandle of Fla.
When my Mom and Dad were still alive, my wife and two daughters sailed on their 38' Sparkman and Stevens /Chris Craft to the Dry Tortougas in July 1983. They lived in Duck Key at that time. So your well told tale, BlackOak, brings back many memories.
I look forward to your new adventures.
Dave
New Orleans
Old 21-06-2013, 08:07   #505

Boat: Hunter 380

Wow!!! Stumbled across this thread yesterday afternoon and remained hooked until I just finished now. What a story! Thanks for sharing BO!!! I'm with Dave...want more!!! And also special thanks to the rest of the forum who posted advice. Learned a lot from all of you. Ketching technique was great. Hope I don't need it, but good to know.
Hey BO, I was a career Naval guy and taught navigation (including celestial) at USNA. Be happy to teach you and my fees are quite reasonable. A six pack should do the trick.
Old 21-06-2013, 08:22   #506

I had the pleasure of meeting and hanging out a good bit with black oak. he is certainly a generous and decent guy , I now considrer him a good friend .I also had the pleasure of meeting his family when they were down for a visit
Old 21-06-2013, 13:03   #507

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28
I told BlackOak to use my private mooring here in key West so he could;
1. Become a member of the sail club, and learn more skills and that I'd help him get work to raise the kitty.
2. So the boat would be secure for him to run home and visit his family.
3. That if he decided to sell the boat that key West would be a good place to find a buyer.

mums the word.

endoftheroad
Old 21-06-2013, 13:07   #508
Marine Service Provider

If his wife read this thread, I can understand her actions.
beachbum29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2013, 13:29   #509

Boat: Not a Beneteau!
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluewaters2812

Quote:
Originally Posted by endoftheroad View Post
I told BlackOak to use my private mooring here in key West so he could;
1. Become a member of the sail club, and learn more skills and that I'd help him get work to raise the kitty.
2. So the boat would be secure for him to run home and visit his family.
3. That if he decided to sell the boat that key West would be a good place to find a buyer.

mums the word.

endoftheroad
I remember you making that offer ... and that was mighty decent of you. A true CF'er
Old 13-08-2013, 03:09   #510

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOak View Post
The plan is still on, but looking at early June.
Bring back Black Oak. Bring 'im back, I say.

Any word on my new found favorite pen?

Tags
Bermuda, bermuda

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: