Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-03-2013, 13:57   #481

Boat: 1976 Cal 2-27
Re: Attempted Trip to Bermuda

Smile politely when noticing the fish in the rigging. Check.

GrowleyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 15:13   #482

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOak View Post
Talking with my wife this morning over coffee, about getting a longer boat, she felt compelled to explain to me her feelings about boats and the ocean.

when she was a child, living in Nha Trang, the north vietnamese had made their way to the outskirts of Nha Trang. People were fleeing to the docks to find anything that floated to escape in. With her mother and 3 brothers, she boarded an old fishing boat, and off into the ocean they went. She could see the fighting onshore as mortar rounds exploded all around her. She can clearly remember the sound of bullets wizzing by and striking the boat she was on. All they could do is huddle down in the open boat. They finally made it out to open water, into a storm with the boat rocking side to side, with water coming in everywhere, soaking them and the smell of the vomit, feces, and blood in their overloaded boat. For 6 days they were on the open ocean, with no food, very little water, and pushing the dead bodies overboard that died along the way. They finally made it to Vung Tau and the Saigon River. She said she doesnt want to get back aboard a boat in the ocean no matter how big it is. She never looked at me while she told this story, she just looked away as if she was back there.

I didnt know how to respond, nor felt a response was necessary, but I did counter with, that was a long time ago Jade, and people dont shoot at you now, most of the time.
She gave me a weak smile.

It would definitely have to be something that doesnt heel over, so a cat would be the way to go, for her anyway. I kinda like that heeling motion, especially ever since Rocketman explained to me that the boat will not flip over. That took a big load off my mind.

She has agreed to take a couple of weeks when my daughter is doing the summer vacation thing, and come down to the boat. So I may have to put off Bermuda, for a year sadly enough, but it will be worth it to give me time to get to looking for a suitable cat, and get her aquainted with my presently floating man cave boat. Heck, she might like my present boat, and save us a ton of money. Who knows?

By the way, she has explained to me how to dry fish in the sun, and asked me to dry some up and ship to her while I am on the boat in Key West, so if by chance you run into me, and see fish flesh hanging on the lifelines, just nod knowingly and let it go at that...
Nice post Bubba,
Maybe renting a dock while she is in town is in order, putting her through the dinghy ride in the tropical sun going into a hot boat is not for everyone.
It is crazy hot here in the summer, like sometimes it's dangeroussly hot.
You eat less when it's hot and your wet from sweat all day, you'll be shrinking for sure. You sweat while your in the water, the water gets to 90 degrees and sometimes higher. Phoenominal weather right now!
I pumped your boat Ana again, she is dry and happy over there on her mooring.
I have to give you credit, you surely left your boat in ship shape, very tidy and well kept, a properly cared for boat.

Oh....I smoked a couple of your cigs.
And I mooned the state police from your boat and threw some trash in the water.

endoftheroad

Old 10-03-2013, 15:28   #483

Boat: Seafarer 34 Sloop

Quote:
Thanks for everything, and thats why I left a full pack of smokes and a lighter on the table.
Old 10-03-2013, 16:35   #484

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28

I was just about positive thats why the smokes were sitting there.
Thanks
Old 10-03-2013, 17:20   #485
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Attempted Trip to Bermuda

Quote:
Thanks for everything, and thats why I left a full pack of smokes and a lighter on the table.
Just got your Cruiser Hospitality Certificate... Bikes & boats..

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 23:14   #486

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by endoftheroad View Post

And I mooned the state police from your boat and threw some trash in the water.

endoftheroad
Nice touch with mooning the cops. Should emptied the black water tank next to the dock.few empty beer cans in the water and Black Oak would have been welcomed back
Old 11-03-2013, 00:21   #487

Boat: Jim Michalak designed 25' Caprice and Self Design 32' Shantymaran

Sounds good man...you still have us all reading every word!

As to the whole..."The whole world is stuck in their electronic devices"...thing...Says all of us here on the internet :-)
Old 12-03-2013, 00:47   #488

BlackOak,

I'm from Missouri. I ride motorcycles. I have a sister in Memphis. She and her husband have a 32.5 foot Benneteau that that they keep at Greer's Ferry Lake in Arkansas (Eden Isle Marina, if you're familiar). I sail with them occasionally.

I grew up in Virginia Beach, which is where I met my high school sweetheart, whom I asked to marry me a year or so later. I broke it off, but 22 years later, here we are again, engaged. She lives in North Port, FL, and I'm down there quite often I hauled my Prindle 16 beach cat down there, and we sailed to Cayo Costa and camped the night, last summer. I bought another sailboat in Sarasota and took it down the ICW and up the harbor into the mouth of the Peace River by Punta Gorda. On the way we stayed at Marker 4 in Venice, and watched the Christmas boat parade - in December, about two weeks before you came through.

Anyways, the reason I'm posting is to 1) Tell you how much I have enjoyed this thread (thanks alot, it's quarter to 2am and I have to work in the morning!) - 2) I wanted to offer to consolidate all your posts, and possibly edit the entire narrative for you - mostly just for formatting, and maybe some clarity in the beginning. As many others have said, you have a great writing gift, and I wouldn't want to change your style...

I guess what I'm asking for is your permission to do this - and perhaps permission to post your story on my website as well. I would also be happy to populate it with pictures and/or videos if you wanted to work with me on where they fit in.

Best of luck to you getting your family on board. I can see you have developed a passion for the life that's not going to want to go away in Memphis. That said, perhaps we could meet for Blues and a Beer on Beale Street sometime

--arthur
The Yacht Barn | Restoring Old Sailboats – In a Barn!

Come see our latest projects at The Yacht Barn!
ac0rn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2013, 07:36   #489

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac0rn View Post
BlackOak,

I'm from Missouri. I ride motorcycles. I have a sister in Memphis. She and her husband have a 32.5 foot Benneteau that that they keep at Greer's Ferry Lake in Arkansas (Eden Isle Marina, if you're familiar). I sail with them occasionally.

I grew up in Virginia Beach, which is where I met my high school sweetheart, whom I asked to marry me a year or so later. I broke it off, but 22 years later, here we are again, engaged. She lives in North Port, FL, and I'm down there quite often I hauled my Prindle 16 beach cat down there, and we sailed to Cayo Costa and camped the night, last summer. I bought another sailboat in Sarasota and took it down the ICW and up the harbor into the mouth of the Peace River by Punta Gorda. On the way we stayed at Marker 4 in Venice, and watched the Christmas boat parade - in December, about two weeks before you came through.

Anyways, the reason I'm posting is to 1) Tell you how much I have enjoyed this thread (thanks alot, it's quarter to 2am and I have to work in the morning!) - 2) I wanted to offer to consolidate all your posts, and possibly edit the entire narrative for you - mostly just for formatting, and maybe some clarity in the beginning. As many others have said, you have a great writing gift, and I wouldn't want to change your style...

I guess what I'm asking for is your permission to do this - and perhaps permission to post your story on my website as well. I would also be happy to populate it with pictures and/or videos if you wanted to work with me on where they fit in.

Best of luck to you getting your family on board. I can see you have developed a passion for the life that's not going to want to go away in Memphis. That said, perhaps we could meet for Blues and a Beer on Beale Street sometime

--arthur
The Yacht Barn | Restoring Old Sailboats In a Barn!
Its seems we have traveled the same road, on occasion. I lived in Va Beach, learned to surf there back in the 70's on a Hansen 50-50, went to First Colonial High School when I lived there.

Please feel free to do what ya want with my posting on this thread. I have some photos from this trip that I will gladly share. I will be here in Memphis for the next couple of weeks, visiting with my family, as well as taking care of some personal business that needs done whille I am here. Would be happy to meet you on Beale, just say when.

I was in Venice for about a week, and stayed just off ICW MM 13 in Roberts Bay. Not a bad place Venice, but going to the market was a bit of a bike ride from the park next to the Venice Yacht Club.

Being home has been awesome, especially being with my kid, though I find my thoughts drifting back to my boat in Key West, and wishing I was back there. Trying to get my wife onboard with the cruising lifestyle is not gonna happen right now, but we have decided to keep the boat till at least this summer, and spend some time on it in Key West during my daughter's summer vacation from school. Will see how it goes from there.
Old 14-03-2013, 08:15   #490

BlackOak,

AMAZING! Sharon and I graduated from FC in 1989 I grew up in the Alanton neighborhood, if you know where that is - and grew up sailing on Broad Bay in my little Phantom (like a Sunfish), and my neighbor's Hobie Cat.

I'd love to meet, but it doesn't sound likely anytime soon. I have my kids this weekend, and next week I'll be in Florida for 10 days. Sounds like you'll be headed back about the same time I'm coming north again.

I'll get started soon on putting the story together, and get with you on the picture thing - thanks for that.

Hopefully your wife and daughter will enjoy the time on the boat this summer. If you guys happen to get north around the Charlotte Harbor area, let me know - we'll be sailing around in June on our little Montego 20

Take care!

--arthur

Old 14-03-2013, 09:15   #491

Hey BlackOak,

I'm trying to figure out where you were really trying to go that first day/night. In the posts, you say Fort Pierce, but that's on the other coast... You say the Coast Guard told you you were 85 miles away, but only 35 from Hommassa, and you ended up on the Crystal River. So i've been looking south of there, and can't find anything... Port Richey maybe??

--arthur

Old 14-03-2013, 11:40   #492

The Coasties said I was 85 mile northwest of St Pete, and 35 miles due east of Homasasa, when I made my first transmission on the vhf. which was, "hello? can anybody hear me". Never will forget that morning or the previous night!!
Old 14-03-2013, 16:19   #493

Quote:
"hello? can anybody hear me".
BO There are a lot of people who have heard you. I for one am glad that you have posted your experiences and look forward to reading more of them. You are quite an inspiration for those of us who are landlocked and bored. My wife and I are on a "4year plan" right now to being liveaboards. Our daughter graduates from high school in three years and as soon as she is settled in college we plan on taking the leap. We have very limited sailing experience but figure the time will allow us to ease into it. Currently we are looking at some larger pocket cruisers that are for sale locally and plan on going from there with a Cat being the ultimate goal.
Old 14-03-2013, 19:51   #494

I'll be at the Flying J in Olive Branch on Monday.
Old 15-03-2013, 11:37   #495
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.
BO you do have great skill at writing I've enjoyed reading along on your travels. I'am contemplating a cruise down river to Memphis what can you tell me about Mudd Island marina? Thought of staying there over the winter months. Good luck getting your wife comfortable being on a boat. My wife was afraid of boats & any water not in a pool, our 1st trip to a local lake 25 years ago resulted in towing our 21' day cruiser back home. When we got to the launch ramp & she saw the whitecaps on the main lake the only thing she said was "I'am not going out there" we all laugh about it now but me & the kids were all disappointed that we couldn't go for a boat ride. Flash forward a few years & she has cruised several hundred miles on lakes & rivers, she has also been out sailing on that same local lake in my sweet sixteen. So there is the possibility of your wife having a change in attitude toward boats, again good luck.

Tags
Bermuda, bermuda

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: