Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 21-11-2012, 04:26   #31
Senior Cruiser
 
Blue Stocking's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: St. Georges, Bda
Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Posts: 4,114
Re: Attempted Trip to Bermuda

BlackOak,

I haven't deserted you . Talked to your cousin Steven. keep me in the loop.
Looks like you are planning the slide north in the spring, like we discussed
Knew 2 mujan boating families who lived in the Williston area, but both have moved elsewhere.
__________________

__________________
so many projects--so little time !!
Blue Stocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 04:59   #32
Registered User
 
BlackOak's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Key West, Fl. Memphis, Tn.
Boat: Seafarer 34 Sloop
Posts: 353
Images: 12
Re: Attempted Trip to Bermuda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Stocking View Post
BlackOak,

I haven't deserted you . Talked to your cousin Steven. keep me in the loop.
Looks like you are planning the slide north in the spring, like we discussed
Knew 2 mujan boating families who lived in the Williston area, but both have moved elsewhere.
Ok, great, I will keep you in the loop as my sailing adventure continues. I hope to be ready by May to make the crossing. Steven is my uncle Alan's son I think, Arron and Dana are my uncle Graham's sons. Arron lives in Texas, but I think Dana is still on The Rock.
__________________

__________________
BlackOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 05:01   #33
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 4
Re: Attempted Trip to Bermuda

BlackOak you have inspired me to finally sign up and post after over a year of lurking around. I so wish I could do what you have just done. Keep the updates coming and get rolling on YouTube, I just might learn something from you.
__________________
YouTube Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 05:55   #34
Registered User
 
BlackOak's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Key West, Fl. Memphis, Tn.
Boat: Seafarer 34 Sloop
Posts: 353
Images: 12
Re: Attempted Trip to Bermuda

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouTube Sailor View Post
BlackOak you have inspired me to finally sign up and post after over a year of lurking around. I so wish I could do what you have just done. Keep the updates coming and get rolling on YouTube, I just might learn something from you.
The best things you can learn from me is what NOT TO DO. Gonna put a little clip up on youtube I made this morning on my cheesy camera. The battery kept dying on me. but the gist of the vid is there.
__________________
BlackOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 06:15   #35
Registered User
 
denverd0n's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 3,950
Images: 6
Re: Attempted Trip to Bermuda

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOak View Post
I hope to be ready by May to make the crossing.
What year? I certainly hope not 2013. You've got a LOT more learning to do before you are ready for a crossing to Bermuda. At least, unless you are planning to take an experienced captain with you.

Right now, what your plans should be is a year or so of cruising around Florida and the Bahamas. Then you might be ready for sailing up the coast to the Chesapeake Bay, taking the offshore route to Hatteras. If you can do that without scaring the crap out of yourself then you just MIGHT be ready for a real ocean crossing. (And Norfolk/Hampton happens to be an excellent hopping off point to begin such a crossing.)

By the way, no offense, but 35 miles west of Homosassa is not even close to the "open ocean." What you got barely even qualifies as a taste. It gets way, WAY worse than that.
__________________
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 06:28   #36
Armchair Bucketeer
 
David_Old_Jersey's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,013
Images: 4
Re: Attempted Trip to Bermuda

Sounds like you have fallen on your feet and are also smart enough to recognise that fact.

The good news is that what you encountered was not the EOTW (even if it felt like it ) and even a little bit of knowledge (being able to use the sails and to navigate) would have made the experiance simply a tad unpleasant.......the bad news is that it can be a lot worse .

IMO if you put the time and effort in (theory / learning and by hands on practice) over the next few months or so your abilities will increase by a squillion percent - albeit exactly how much is down to you.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 06:35   #37
Senior Cruiser
 
Rocketman's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Naples, FL
Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400
Posts: 668
Re: Attempted Trip to Bermuda

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
What year? I certainly hope not 2013. You've got a LOT more learning to do before you are ready for a crossing to Bermuda. At least, unless you are planning to take an experienced captain with you.

Right now, what your plans should be is a year or so of cruising around Florida and the Bahamas. Then you might be ready for sailing up the coast to the Chesapeake Bay, taking the offshore route to Hatteras. If you can do that without scaring the crap out of yourself then you just MIGHT be ready for a real ocean crossing. (And Norfolk/Hampton happens to be an excellent hopping off point to begin such a crossing.)

By the way, no offense, but 35 miles east of Homosassa is not even close to the "open ocean." What you got barely even qualifies as a taste. It gets way, WAY worse than that.
While I agree with most of this post, I have to say, that everyone has a differnt learning curve, and motivation to learn. If you want to be ready for the crossing by May, and you do your homework and prep work you can be ready to go, IMHO, in that time frame. The taste that the OP got, right out of the gate, was propably the best thing that ever happened to him. With that experience he was realy not in danger, as the USCG was able to talk him through rescuing himself. The OP did rescue himself, and that says a lot about him and his ability to perform in a crisis, real or not.
__________________
Rocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 06:56   #38
Registered User
 
BlackOak's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Key West, Fl. Memphis, Tn.
Boat: Seafarer 34 Sloop
Posts: 353
Images: 12
Re: Attempted Trip to Bermuda

Here is a quick vid I took this morning with my cheesy camera...
__________________
BlackOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 07:07   #39
Armchair Bucketeer
 
David_Old_Jersey's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,013
Images: 4
Re: Attempted Trip to Bermuda

Nearly pissed me self laughing about your comment on the head! ......and after that for some reason was expecting you to back yerself off end of the dock...........
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 07:16   #40
Registered User
 
LostAtSea2011's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 204
Good video. Nice boat. Will definitely be entertaining once you get moving again.
__________________
LostAtSea2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 07:33   #41
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,594
Re: Attempted Trip to Bermuda

You ain't seen or dealt with NOTHING yet. What you described was a tad of a blow..
__________________
Randy

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 07:48   #42
Senior Cruiser
 
Rocketman's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Naples, FL
Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400
Posts: 668
Re: Attempted Trip to Bermuda

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbates View Post
You ain't seen or dealt with NOTHING yet. What you described was a tad of a blow..

This forum's," go for it no matter what" attitude is going to get someone killed. mark my words...
I don't want to be confrontational but, I don't think anyone is trying to tell the OP to "Go for it no matter what", I think most have tried to be supportive while giving words of caution.

There are a lot of arm chair captains on this site, who will never do a passage of any kind. Some may call them worry warts. When taking advise on any forum, one needs to take it all in and evaluate it for what its worth and apply the information accordingly.
__________________
Rocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 07:49   #43
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: USA
Boat: Cape Dory
Posts: 439
Re: Attempted Trip to Bermuda

I am confused. Your destination was Fort Pierce? Is there a Fort Pierce on the Gulf Coast? Did you tell anyone where you were going and when you'd be in?

What charts did you have with you? Do you have a GPS? What happened to your cheeseburger navigation skills? How did you loose touch with land and the direction toward land?

Glad you made it in safe. It sounds like you might benefit from taking experienced crew out with your for a couple of day sails to help you get to know your boat and equipment better.
__________________
Mambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 07:58   #44
Registered User
 
SVTatia's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Toronto, Canada
Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23
Posts: 817
Re: Attempted Trip to Bermuda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
I don't want to be confrontational but, I don't think anyone is trying to tell the OP to "Go for it no matter what", I think most have tried to be supportive while giving words of caution.

There are a lot of arm chair captains on this site, who will never do a passage of any kind. Some may call them worry warts. When taking advise on any forum, one needs to take it all in and evaluate it for what its worth and apply the information accordingly.
+1
__________________
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 08:05   #45
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,594
Re: Attempted Trip to Bermuda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
I don't want to be confrontational but, I don't think anyone is trying to tell the OP to "Go for it no matter what", I think most have tried to be supportive while giving words of caution.

There are a lot of arm chair captains on this site, who will never do a passage of any kind. Some may call them worry warts. When taking advise on any forum, one needs to take it all in and evaluate it for what its worth and apply the information accordingly.
I love it when someone makes a dis-claimer and then proceeds. Go read the first few response to the OP original thread...and see if what I said is or is not what happened.

Let's get back to the OP problems. I removed my comment so as not to get any more of the 'go for it group' panties in a bunch..
__________________

__________________
Randy

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
Bermuda, bermuda

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bermuda Passage in Hurricane Season 3reefs Atlantic & the Caribbean 5 13-02-2012 20:12
Weather Along Route to Bermuda mrybas Sailor Logs & Cruising Plans 17 31-10-2011 05:39
Crew Available: How Hard Is it to Find a Ride on a Boat ? Yves Crew Archives 8 16-08-2011 18:12
Bermuda Layover? mrybas Atlantic & the Caribbean 1 04-08-2011 20:43



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:54.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.