Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 21-11-2012, 04:26   #31
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Re: Attempted Trip to Bermuda

BlackOak,

I haven't deserted you . Talked to your cousin Steven. keep me in the loop.
Looks like you are planning the slide north in the spring, like we discussed
Knew 2 mujan boating families who lived in the Williston area, but both have moved elsewhere.

Old 21-11-2012, 04:59   #32

Boat: Seafarer 34 Sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Stocking View Post
BlackOak,

I haven't deserted you . Talked to your cousin Steven. keep me in the loop.
Looks like you are planning the slide north in the spring, like we discussed
Knew 2 mujan boating families who lived in the Williston area, but both have moved elsewhere.
Ok, great, I will keep you in the loop as my sailing adventure continues. I hope to be ready by May to make the crossing. Steven is my uncle Alan's son I think, Arron and Dana are my uncle Graham's sons. Arron lives in Texas, but I think Dana is still on The Rock.

Old 21-11-2012, 05:01   #33

BlackOak you have inspired me to finally sign up and post after over a year of lurking around. I so wish I could do what you have just done. Keep the updates coming and get rolling on YouTube, I just might learn something from you.
Old 21-11-2012, 05:55   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouTube Sailor View Post
BlackOak you have inspired me to finally sign up and post after over a year of lurking around. I so wish I could do what you have just done. Keep the updates coming and get rolling on YouTube, I just might learn something from you.
The best things you can learn from me is what NOT TO DO. Gonna put a little clip up on youtube I made this morning on my cheesy camera. The battery kept dying on me. but the gist of the vid is there.
Old 21-11-2012, 06:15   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOak View Post
I hope to be ready by May to make the crossing.
What year? I certainly hope not 2013. You've got a LOT more learning to do before you are ready for a crossing to Bermuda. At least, unless you are planning to take an experienced captain with you.

Right now, what your plans should be is a year or so of cruising around Florida and the Bahamas. Then you might be ready for sailing up the coast to the Chesapeake Bay, taking the offshore route to Hatteras. If you can do that without scaring the crap out of yourself then you just MIGHT be ready for a real ocean crossing. (And Norfolk/Hampton happens to be an excellent hopping off point to begin such a crossing.)

By the way, no offense, but 35 miles west of Homosassa is not even close to the "open ocean." What you got barely even qualifies as a taste. It gets way, WAY worse than that.
Old 21-11-2012, 06:28   #36
Armchair Bucketeer

Sounds like you have fallen on your feet and are also smart enough to recognise that fact.

The good news is that what you encountered was not the EOTW (even if it felt like it ) and even a little bit of knowledge (being able to use the sails and to navigate) would have made the experiance simply a tad unpleasant.......the bad news is that it can be a lot worse .

IMO if you put the time and effort in (theory / learning and by hands on practice) over the next few months or so your abilities will increase by a squillion percent - albeit exactly how much is down to you.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 06:35   #37
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
What year? I certainly hope not 2013. You've got a LOT more learning to do before you are ready for a crossing to Bermuda. At least, unless you are planning to take an experienced captain with you.

Right now, what your plans should be is a year or so of cruising around Florida and the Bahamas. Then you might be ready for sailing up the coast to the Chesapeake Bay, taking the offshore route to Hatteras. If you can do that without scaring the crap out of yourself then you just MIGHT be ready for a real ocean crossing. (And Norfolk/Hampton happens to be an excellent hopping off point to begin such a crossing.)

By the way, no offense, but 35 miles east of Homosassa is not even close to the "open ocean." What you got barely even qualifies as a taste. It gets way, WAY worse than that.
While I agree with most of this post, I have to say, that everyone has a differnt learning curve, and motivation to learn. If you want to be ready for the crossing by May, and you do your homework and prep work you can be ready to go, IMHO, in that time frame. The taste that the OP got, right out of the gate, was propably the best thing that ever happened to him. With that experience he was realy not in danger, as the USCG was able to talk him through rescuing himself. The OP did rescue himself, and that says a lot about him and his ability to perform in a crisis, real or not.
Old 21-11-2012, 06:56   #38

Here is a quick vid I took this morning with my cheesy camera...
Old 21-11-2012, 07:07   #39
Armchair Bucketeer

Nearly pissed me self laughing about your comment on the head! ......and after that for some reason was expecting you to back yerself off end of the dock...........
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 07:16   #40

Good video. Nice boat. Will definitely be entertaining once you get moving again.
Old 21-11-2012, 07:33   #41
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

You ain't seen or dealt with NOTHING yet. What you described was a tad of a blow..

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 07:48   #42
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbates View Post
You ain't seen or dealt with NOTHING yet. What you described was a tad of a blow..

This forum's," go for it no matter what" attitude is going to get someone killed. mark my words...
I don't want to be confrontational but, I don't think anyone is trying to tell the OP to "Go for it no matter what", I think most have tried to be supportive while giving words of caution.

There are a lot of arm chair captains on this site, who will never do a passage of any kind. Some may call them worry warts. When taking advise on any forum, one needs to take it all in and evaluate it for what its worth and apply the information accordingly.
Old 21-11-2012, 07:49   #43

Boat: Cape Dory

I am confused. Your destination was Fort Pierce? Is there a Fort Pierce on the Gulf Coast? Did you tell anyone where you were going and when you'd be in?

What charts did you have with you? Do you have a GPS? What happened to your cheeseburger navigation skills? How did you loose touch with land and the direction toward land?

Glad you made it in safe. It sounds like you might benefit from taking experienced crew out with your for a couple of day sails to help you get to know your boat and equipment better.
Old 21-11-2012, 07:58   #44

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
I don't want to be confrontational but, I don't think anyone is trying to tell the OP to "Go for it no matter what", I think most have tried to be supportive while giving words of caution.

There are a lot of arm chair captains on this site, who will never do a passage of any kind. Some may call them worry warts. When taking advise on any forum, one needs to take it all in and evaluate it for what its worth and apply the information accordingly.
+1
Old 21-11-2012, 08:05   #45
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post

I love it when someone makes a dis-claimer and then proceeds. Go read the first few response to the OP original thread...and see if what I said is or is not what happened.

Let's get back to the OP problems. I removed my comment so as not to get any more of the 'go for it group' panties in a bunch..

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bermuda, bermuda

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: