Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 20-11-2012, 18:50   #16

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23
Re: I Need a Ride to Bermuda

Hello BlackOak

Cheer up. That sucks, but today you are more experienced than last week.
Now that you have seen what the 7 foot waves look and feel like you are ready for the 20 footers.
You are lucky it didnít happen on the way to Bermuda, as a contrary wind on the gulf stream could really mess up your hair and ruin your day.
I donít mean to discourage you, charge this as education, prepare more by checking the weather, practising storm tactics and move on. You have taken lesson 1 and survived.
Thanks for sharing, best of luck and keep us informed.

Old 20-11-2012, 19:00   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

hillarious!!! definitely one for the "what happens to all the wannabee's" thread

thanks for posting

Old 20-11-2012, 19:09   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

Black Oak, way to go!!!!! Makes me remember the first time I was in 8-10ft seas. Lucky for me I was with someone experienced and since it didn't faze them I was just slightly less then terified. Get a good chart plotter. At least then you will always know where you are, then get a good back up incase that goes out. Then try to find someone to go with you. Put an add in CF for a hand. Chances are you can find someone experienced to go with. If you have to pay them, it will be well worth it. Stick it out, you won't regret it. You are simply learning what you don't know. Sailing is not that difficult, and very rewarding. GO FOR IT.
Old 20-11-2012, 19:20   #19

Boat: Beneteau 473
Good grief, my sides still hurt from laughing so hard! Seaworthy Lass is right, you could have a future writing. What a great story, but also experience! Good on you for getting out there and going! I believe in a little more restrained approach, but I think you see the wisdom in that now too. Be brave and go for it again, just be a bit more prepared -- baby steps!

Good luck, and keep writing about your experiences!
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 19:26   #20

Boat: Seafarer 34 Sloop

This marina Pete's Pier in Crystal River is a great place, the boaters here are amazing. Ms Shelly, older lady solo sailor in a Beneteau 43 footer, took me out for a cheese burger and taught me navigation while we ate..she brought some old ratty charts she's had for 15 years sailing. Captain Fred, the guy who towed me in (TowBoats US), stopped by today and took me out for breakfast, then to Autozone for new batteries, then to West Marine for some charts, and helped me put the batteries in, he used his discount card at West Marine for my purchases, and Jeff the marina manager, told me I could practice out in front of the marina if I wanted, and Ms Shelly said she will teach me how to sail (on my boat) so I would feel more comfortable, and get my boats rigged correctly. So i am in good hands with some very wonderful people. BTW..that Beneteau is like a palace inside..so freakin nice!!! Well I learned alot so far, and I aint giving up on sailing to Bermuda just yet.
Just so yall know, I appreciate each and everyone of you! I'll get this eventually, because of your encouragement and kind words, as well as the people I have been blessed to meet here at Pete's Pier in Crystal River, FL.
Old 20-11-2012, 19:31   #21

Ps...Guys? When I sit on the john (in this boat) to do my business, I cant seem to get all the necessary parts to fit into the bowl. Captain Fred told me to piss first, and then the other if possible. Any other suggestions?
Old 20-11-2012, 19:54   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOak View Post
Ps...Guys? When I sit on the john (in this boat) to do my business, I cant seem to get all the necessary parts to fit into the bowl. Captain Fred told me to piss first, and then the other if possible. Any other suggestions?
You might have to do what's called the slide. Which ever part is operational at the moment, is the part that you slide toward center of the bowl. You are going to find that you need to have this skill if you get caught out in rough sea's again. Being able to sit down while you to do your business is the only way it will end up in the bowl and you safely in the boat.
Old 20-11-2012, 19:58   #23

Boat: Tanzer 26, Walk22

Great post!!!! It will get better...
Old 20-11-2012, 20:09   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Just thought I would ask. Is there any particular reason you are wanting to go to Bermuda? If I were you I would concider going to the Bahama's for a while and enjoying them while learning to sail you boat. It is a cake walk compared to sailing all the way to Bermuda, and it can be a lot of fun and very beutiful.
Old 20-11-2012, 21:44   #25

Can you make some videos ?
Old 21-11-2012, 00:39   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Aluminium cutter rigged sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOak View Post
This marina Pete's Pier in Crystal River is a great place, the boaters here are amazing. Ms Shelly, older lady solo sailor in a Beneteau 43 footer, took me out for a cheese burger and taught me navigation while we ate..she brought some old ratty charts she's had for 15 years sailing. Captain Fred, the guy who towed me in (TowBoats US), stopped by today and took me out for breakfast, then to Autozone for new batteries, then to West Marine for some charts, and helped me put the batteries in, he used his discount card at West Marine for my purchases, and Jeff the marina manager, told me I could practice out in front of the marina if I wanted, and Ms Shelly said she will teach me how to sail (on my boat) so I would feel more comfortable, and get my boats rigged correctly. So i am in good hands with some very wonderful people. BTW..that Beneteau is like a palace inside..so freakin nice!!! Well I learned alot so far, and I aint giving up on sailing to Bermuda just yet.
Just so yall know, I appreciate each and everyone of you! I'll get this eventually, because of your encouragement and kind words, as well as the people I have been blessed to meet here at Pete's Pier in Crystal River, FL.
BlackOak, it does sound as if you are in good hands. Sailing folk tend to be awesome people - in my experience they are always willing to lend a hand and keep an eye out for fellow cruisers. Friendships tend to be cemented very quickly.

PS Love the comment you made about being taught all about navigation in the space of time it takes to eat a cheeseburger . Please keep us filled in with your learning experiences. I am sure I am not the only one enjoying reading your posts.
Old 21-11-2012, 02:41   #27

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Re: Attempted Trip to Bermuda

I am all about this benefit of a doubt stuff, but i think we have someone taking a creative writting course and we are the sounding board.

If this is all real, commit to leaving that boat in coastal waters for day adventures while you monitor the weather apps on your smartphone. Sounds like you have as much business in blue water as i do. Lol
Old 21-11-2012, 03:02   #28
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"

Your boat is a sailboat so sail it. The motion of the boat is MUCH more comfortable with the proper amount of sail up!!!!!! Motoring or having too much sail up for conditions can make a bumpy ride seem like a nightmare. Learn how to decrease your sail area by reefing or rolling and start with too little and increase from there. I like to run 5kts or so when its gusty so ithe boat handles the gusts better than running full out. I delivered one boat back from ft myers to tampa after someone from England bought the boat spent a ton of money getting it fit out planning on sailing it to England and as far as he made it was Tampa to Ft myers. He never put the sails up once and was seasick the whole way. Where are you now? I'm near Key West headed toward Tampa eventually.
Old 21-11-2012, 03:44   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostAtSea2011 View Post
Can you make some videos ?
Absolutely, someone give this guy an old video camera, the results could be a hoot. You Tube pays if you start getting lots of hits doesn't it?

Could be a nice little earner.

Blackoak, buy yourself a writing pad and keep lots of notes, as already suggested there is a book in this to fund your adventures

Pete
Old 21-11-2012, 04:14   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryMayo View Post
I am all about this benefit of a doubt stuff, but i think we have someone taking a creative writting course and we are the sounding board.

If this is all real, commit to leaving that boat in coastal waters for day adventures while you monitor the weather apps on your smartphone. Sounds like you have as much business in blue water as i do. Lol
Not creative writing, I just talk this way. Whats a smart phone? My cell phone if for calling and receiving calls, but its not very smart and neither am I...I dont even know if I can text on it. I know what an APP is, cause I heard ppl use that term just about everyway I turn these days. I dont do APPS. Perhaps when a Sextant was invented, it would of been an APP me thinks!

If you want to verify my story, call the marina here or the CG in St Pete, makes me no nevermind if you think the story is bullshit or the real deal. The only reason I posted it was to at least get it out of my mind and share it with yall.

No, your correct, I have no business in blue water, considering my present skill level, but I have the desire to be in blue water, and I am the proud owner of a vessel that can take the blue water...even if I cant just yet.

RocketMan: Bermuda is where I was born, so it seemed a natural choice, especially since my Bermuda Passport expired about 6 months ago and I need to get a new one, and I dont have much faith in the mail system, since I dont have a permanent address now. I thought about going to Turks Caicos and get one there, but I cant get a cruising permit for the Bahamas with an expired passport. Also, I need to get the boat registered and Bermuda is where I will register it, since its the only place I have citizenship. I was thinking that since most people dont sail to Bermuda until May, it would give me time to practice on my boat, and I would be a little better skilled before I made the attempt.

LostATSea: I am charging up the batteries on my cheesy video camera as I type this. IS there any place on this forum to post videos? I will make a youtube account if I cant find a way to post it here.

ps. I have to move my boat today from the transient dock to a monthly rental dock. This should be a hoot, since I have never docked this boat, or any boat for that matter. Fortunately I got a T dock at the end of the pier away from the other boats, so I shouldnt hit anyone......I hope!

Tags
Bermuda, bermuda

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: