Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 31-12-2012, 10:48   #226

Boat: Carver 3207 Aft Cabin, 32'
Really, if you want to stop over in Sioux Falls on the way to Sturgis this summer, just send me a message, we'll have steaks on the back deck - or at the marina in Yankton.

My wife and I did some sailing lessons last March off captiva. We have a power boat at home, not sail. I asked her how she liked sailing: she liked it a lot, had a blast, but "it's a huge amount of constant work." That's certainly true. We're sticking with our two big engines for now.

I did enjoy your writing, thanks very much for sharing it.
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2012, 11:07   #227

Re: Attempted Trip to Bermuda

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Am not going to try and change your mind - as giving something a go, discovering not for you and then moving on to something else is not a failure.
Took the words right out of my mouth.

This certainly was a learning experience. I can sympathize with some aspects of the things that you mentioned sucked the fun right out of it. As much as I like sailing, there is no way in hell I could live in a boat regardless of size and luxuries involved. It is simply not for me, but at the same time I enjoy tremendously the going out for a few days part.

In any case, I wish you the best the best of luck!
dgasmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2012, 12:01   #228

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.
Black Oak home is Memphis huh, so tell me about Mudd island marina & the area. Thinking of cruising down that way in 2014, 501 miles from where I'am at about 10 days to get there. good luck on what ever you try next, the Mississippi goes a lot of places & a lot of great river rats to lend a hand if needed, like most boaters anywhere you go.
River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2012, 12:08   #229

Boat: Seafarer Tripp 30

Well it was fun while it lasted. I recently heard someone refer to it as 'the best moments of my life that I never want to live again'. Maybe that's what this was for you...or maybe when the warm weather comes you'll hear the call of the sea and give it another go. I do think that in many ways packing it in is braver than pushing through. I'm currently sitting on my boat, having moved aboard two months ago hundreds of miles from anyone I know, watching the snow fall and trying to convince myself to put on boots and ride my bike to the boathouse where my mast is stored so I can continue in the epic journey of rebuilding a 52-year-old wooden spar. It's a sickness that no matter how uncomfortable the situation I just can't stop...and you should be grateful you are not afflicted with it. I wish you well in whatever your next adventure may be and for anyone looking for more reading on misadventure at sea here's a few good reads.

Releases | the current's against us
david7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2012, 12:19   #230

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryMayo View Post
I have friends here, and I saw what seemed to me a great possibility of a prank on my friends. Now it seems to have become more accurately described as a journal of the way not to do things.

If a first time driver was doing burnouts with a V8 and no drivers ed, no insurance?, would we all be giving him at a boys, keep it up, it will get better? Who is this insurance company covering this learning curve? My insurance agent is a member here, John, you want to insure this guy?

My first sailboat was on a small city lake on a ten foot sail boat. Three years and three sailboats later, and countless books read, I was still on the same lake, learning. That was 30 years ago.

I wish him all the best, but the way to learn sailing is not as he has been doing it, and the folks here encouraging him to continue to learn the improper way is pushing him towards disaster I fear. Disaster for himself, or other people.

Remember the lady that just remarried her rich farmer husbsnd, and her wedding gift was a 28 foot sailboat? Remembered how that turned out when she headed out into blue water without the proper experience?

This young man, if he is our friend, we need to tell him to gain the proper education and experience before his adventures overwhelm him and his next tow service will be with him in absentia.
The wonderful thing about evolution (or lack of it) is that there are a great many different people... Some take 30 years to learn to sail, with lessons teachers and still stay on a lake as they are not comfortable. Others learn as they go and do things that others have NEVER done.. like crossing oceans and discovering new uncharted lands for the first time.

Even others go into space and land on the moon. They did it the first time with no 'lessons' from experts. As they say.... different strokes for different folks....

Judging someone who is not the same as you to be defective or 'wrong' is not taking into account that different people have different cognitive processing capabilities.

I respect your accomplishments, and how you managed to accomplish them. But remember that all other people are not the same as you.

Have a thought that others do things in different ways (better or worse...)

As to BlackOak... Congratulations on pushing through. Best of luck in your endeavours.. I am sure with the attitude and cognitive processing ability you have demonstrated you shall succeed in anything you set your mind to.

Ezzy
EzzyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2012, 12:31   #231

Boat: ex-Tartan 40

Black Oak -- Congratulations on all you accomplished these past weeks. I hope you look back on it as an adventure with lessons learned that you don't care to repeat. I don't know if you were a writer before this experience, but you do have a knack. I hope you keep at it even if you never write about sailing again.

I remember a biker friend telling me that no one rides who doesn't need to. It's too dangerous and too uncomfortable. I sold my bike two years ago -- '99 FXDWG -- when I realized that I didn't need to ride anymore. Sailing, for me, is sort of the same. I NEED to feel the movement of my boat through the water. If I didn't love it, the headaches, not to mention the time and $$ to keep everything working, wouldn't be worth it. Good on you for learning by doing and having the courage to acknowledge the lesson learned and move on. All best wishes.
S/V Sapphire Tartan 40 #71

tartansail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:07   #232

Hey Black Oak.... on your way to some motorcycle rally or event, you could always call on GaryMayo and go for a little jaunt on the lake where he his!! LOL
520eek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:54   #233

Boat: S34 Bob Stewart - 1959 Patiki class. Re--built by me & good mate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 520eek View Post
Hey Black Oak.... on your way to some motorcycle rally or event, you could always call on GaryMayo and go for a little jaunt on the lake where he his!! LOL
ROFL!
See if you can get Gary to wear a blind fold and helm with you giving the instructions.
Good onya both, its what draws me here.
All the best for 2013!
lateral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 14:24   #234

Boat: Just Photographs & Memories Now

You guys have been great! Even GaryMayo, I love you too sweetcheeks. Anyway, I put the boat up un CL, sarasota one, and list Venice as the location.

My incident of the day. Ok, I am in the dingy washing the boat, I notice the trawler next to mine has moved up a little from where it was before I started washing the boat. Continued washing, now on the port side of my boat. Hmmm...the trawler is a little further now than it was when I first noticed it had moved. I though his boat was drifting, then I really looked around, and noticed it was my boat that was drifting to the north from the south wind today. holy ****...I tied the dingy, jumped on board, fired up the motor, and pulled in the danforth. Motored around in a circle, back to the same spot I was before the drift, then tossed the danforth, motored back on it, grabbed the plow, and rowed it out to a 45 degree angle of the danforth, and sunk it. Now lets see that biotch drift on me again. BTW guys, did I tell ya I cant back my boat in a straight line? Its either the bow wants to go to the right, or to the left, but the boat never backwards. I have heard the term "prop walk", but I have a Prop RUN situation here. OH WELL, another reason to quit this foolishness and go home. Love ya ALL
BlackOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 15:15   #235
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch

BlackOak,

I am not sure if this has been pointed out to you previously, but I can guess that your continuous anchoring issues are related to the anchor you are using. Dansforth anchors are known for setting ok in soft bottoms, but are notorious for not re-setting when the tide or winds swing you around, and the anchor needs to "Change direction". I point this out because I wonder how much of your getting fed up with things is because you cannot trust your anchoring system to hold?

On our 6 month cruise last winter, we drug anchor twice, once in a place known for horrible holding, and the other after a night of high winds in another place known for less than ideal anchoring.

Other then those two times, we held securely in a vast range of conditions, bottoms etc from NC to the Bahamas and back.

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 15:38   #236
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Attempted Trip to Bermuda

Blackoak... when your reversing give her a good burst to get her moving then throttle right back down... this allows the rudder to bite... then its just a case of judging your speed giving short bursts to maintain steerage... bit like negotiating hairpins on a bike...
A burst of power as you come out for control... then throttle down for the next approach... reversing into the wind is a lot easier than with it... but the wind can also be useful acting as natures bow thruster helping you into tight slips..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 15:50   #237

Boat: ex-Tartan 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOak View Post
BTW guys, did I tell ya I cant back my boat in a straight line? Its either the bow wants to go to the right, or to the left, but the boat never backwards. I have heard the term "prop walk", but I have a Prop RUN situation here. OH WELL, another reason to quit this foolishness and go home. Love ya ALL
C'mon Black Oak. It's just like countersteering your bike. Once you figure out everything is bassackwards, you're back in control! Remember the first time someone told you to turn the wrong way to turn sharper on your ride? You thought they were nuts, right? Just do what Boaty says and you're back in business.
S/V Sapphire Tartan 40 #71

tartansail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 15:50   #238

Boat: Islander Freeport 41' Ketch

BlackOak, always thinking about yourself, aren't you? It's all about BlackOak... BlackOak... BlackOak... BlackOak...

What about us, huh? Ever think about that? We were happy. We looked forward to reading your posts. We enjoyed every single one of your misfortunes. We warmed ourselves by the hearth of your unmitigated discomfort, and the fact that you were cold and lonely and miserable on a regular basis. We could set our watches by your screw-ups!

Go ahead, quit, you insensitive bastard. See if we care...

But, first, because I am a newbie and planning on sailing solo very soon, to Bermuda, I'm not quite done with you! So before you go, will you please tell us/me what you would have done differently, (beside never buying the boat in the first place)? Lessons learned? Sailing lessons? More first mates, second mates, a couple of long legged stewardesses? That kind of thing.

Oh, and one more thing--Happy New Year!

(Ya quiter)
: thumb:
“If you end up with a boring miserable life because you listened to your mom, your dad, your teacher, your priest, or some guy on television telling you how to do your ****, then you deserve it.” ― Frank Zappa
ty.gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 16:21   #239

Boat: Islander Freeport 41' Ketch

I almost called you a human eyeball, but that would have been unfair.

“If you end up with a boring miserable life because you listened to your mom, your dad, your teacher, your priest, or some guy on television telling you how to do your ****, then you deserve it.” ― Frank Zappa
ty.gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 20:01   #240

Boat: Lord Nelson 35
Send a message via Skype™ to CapnZiggy

Is that it?
Finito?

Tags
Bermuda, bermuda