Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 30-12-2012, 09:26   #196

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Attempted Trip to Bermuda

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOak View Post
Thanks for the well wishes and advice. Don't think I will do Venice to Boca Grande on the inside, I will try sunday morning on the outside, if the wind/weather and my frame of mind is right........
Can be a great downwind run on the outside. But, good idea to check tidal currents at Boca Grande, if the wind and tides conspire the outbound flow can really rip (by FL standards anyway). Years ago, I had a great sail down the W coast to Boca Grande, and then spent many long hours, into the night, trying to push in against the tidal current (strong NE wind really amp'ed up the flow). At times the GPS read 0.0 -- I was just happy we were not going backwards!

The nav aid configuration where Boca Grande crosses the ICW can be a bit confusing too, be sure and check your charts and nav closely.

Oh, and don't try this one at night, there have been cruising boats lost at Boca Grande. I knew the area well so the slow slog up the channel was just an inconvenience for me, but it can be a confusing, and potentially hazardous, entrance at night.

Old 30-12-2012, 11:55   #197

Boat: Seafarer Tripp 30

Sorry guys this is my last one then I'll stay on topic...

mcarling,

I was raised in very religious surroundings and the false idea that evolution is random is one of the biggest arguments against it. I'm glad you read Lenski's paper and I don't presume to know what else you have read on the subject but I have a few suggestions and think you would be hard-pressed to find any credible biologist who would say that natural selection is random. No one denies there are random components but that does not make the whole process random. Lightning strikes, floods, famines, and droughts are too rare to be a major player in a species evolution. If you lived in a lightning filed that received thirty strikes a day then it would become a regular part of the environment that would require adaptation. Genetic mutation and differing environments are the random components of natural selection.

(More on topic people going to sea unprepared would fall into the same category as lightning strikes...both rare and both able to occur after one has reproduced thus removing any implications to a species development.)

"Processes other than natural selection can cause evolutionary change."
-Jerry Coyne...referring to genetic drift in his book 'Why Evolution Is True' a very good read if you get the chance.

"Natural selection is anything but random."
-Richard Dawkins...author of some other good reads, more recently 'The Greatest Show On Earth' which I also recommend.

As I said before random genetic mutation and non-random selection. But here are a few more articles specifically outlining this exact point. It is one of the basic principles of evolution.

Richard Dawkins on evolution by natural selection

natural selection

Why Natural Selection is Not Random For the Sake of Science

Evolution and natural selection are NOT the result of random or blind chance! Rational Understanding’s Blog

There I'm done...

Old 30-12-2012, 12:07   #198

Boat: Seafarer Tripp 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirsi View Post
I see people almost every month who have done what Blackoak is doing, or who are just starting to do it. Better than sitting at the dock with their would of, should of, could of stories.
Too true...for every example of someone going out unprepared and meeting with disaster there are just as many who do it, have a great time, and learn a lot. Like the kid in 'Hold Fast' his first experience out he lost his engine and learned how to drop anchor under sail...a skill not many have. Here is a link to that film though some of you might get a little queazy at the unabashedly free way of life.

Hold Fast on Vimeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotel L View Post
Oh side note....you interested in natural selection should watch Idiocracy.
Yeah...that movie scared me a little.
Old 30-12-2012, 12:09   #199

Maybe we're talking past each other. I'll try to clarify one last time and then I will not post anymore on evolution.

Natural selection has both random and non-random components. It is neither an entirely random process (in the latter sense below) nor is it an entirely deterministic process. Natural selection is not Gaussian random.

When scientists speak to each other, any process which includes even a slight stochastic element is referred to as stochastic, not deterministic. That does not imply that anything can happen or that all outcomes have equal probability (which seems to be what some readers think "random" means).
Old 30-12-2012, 22:48   #200

Boat: Carver 3207 Aft Cabin, 32'
One need only consider the structure and design of the human eyeball to conclude that evolution is the most ridiculous, illogical, absurd, counter-intuitive theory ever conceived by otherwise rational scientists in the modern age - but all that side, this just might be the most drastic case of thread drift I have ever seen.
Old 30-12-2012, 23:03   #201

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthoennes View Post
One need only consider the structure and design of the human eyeball to conclude that evolution is the most ridiculous, illogical, absurd, counter-intuitive theory ever conceived by otherwise rational scientists in the modern age...
The structure of the human eyeball is the best possible refutation of the ridiculous, illogical, absurd idea that an intelligent artificer designed it. The structure of the human eyeball is so inferior to the structure of the octopus' eyeball that we wouldn't just revoke the license of an engineer who built a bridge as badly structured as the human eyeball; we might imprison such an incompetent engineer -- but no human engineer has ever been so incompetent.

An octopus' eyeball has the retina arranged so that the light sensors in the cones and rods face inward, where the light strikes the retina, and the nerves coming out the back and bundling into the optic nerve on the outside of the eye -- just as an intelligent designer would arrange it. On the other hand, the human eyeball has an inverted retina, with the light sensors on the back and the "wires" on the inside, where they obscure and distort the image, coming together into the optic nerve inside the eyeball and then passing through a "blind spot" in the retina. It would be like building a bridge with steel cables in compression and unreinforced concrete in tension.
Old 31-12-2012, 00:21   #202

Boat: 1976 Cal 2-27

Nice going, Blackoak. If you keep putting as much effort into learning, you will probably be a pretty good sailor in a year or two. And my standards are kinda high so when I say pretty good, I mean pretty darn good. Just keep it up, One thing you are obviously doing right, is not irritating those who are ready to help. People doing our thing are usually eager to spread the gospel of sailing and cruising and just messing about in boats, and eager to share their knowledge. Often, though, the newbie lets his ego get in the way and folks just stop trying after about the third sentence. Yeah you are getting some good help and advice, but that is normal in our world. Keep your potential mentors on your side and you will continue to have a great learning resorce available to you.

8 Track? I stopped trying to keep mine running after my last tape got hopelessly chewed up about 6 years ago. You will find the laptop to be a very useful tool as time goes by. I would suggest swapping your phone, unless it is a droid or an iphone, for an iphone 4S. With iNavX installed, it is a great backup electronic chart display that will charge up easily on a very small solar panel. Now the autopilot... if I were you, I would start using the autopilot only when motoring. Why? Because with a neutral helm, i.e. with the tiller or wheel lashed and the rudder amidship, if the sails are trimmed so that the boat tracks pretty well, you are in a very efficient state of sail. You are not rudder-crabbing. Yes, you are making leeway but no additional drag or turbulence from the rudder fighting the keel. The autopilot hides that from you. The cues you get from the rudder will tell you a lot about what is going on between your hull and your sails and the wind and the water. When you can get your boat to steer itself on a reach, you will have a pretty good understanding of how to balance out your sails' effort against your hull and keel's resistance.

I am glad you posted your inglorious maiden voyage. Frankly, I am too embarrassed to post my newbie blunders! I like to put them far, far behind me, But not so far that I forget what they taught me. Your story will be shared with many beginners to come, I am sure, getting ready for their first sail adventure.

Okay back to the thread. I have read up through page 7 but I just wanted to comment on the autopilot.
Old 31-12-2012, 02:08   #203

Boat: Jim Michalak designed 25' Caprice and Self Design 32' Shantymaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by david7 View Post
Here is a link to that film though some of you might get a little queazy at the unabashedly free way of life.

Hold Fast on Vimeo
Wow!! A free of charge, feature legnth movie well worth any sailor's (as opposed to Yachty) time. Blackoak, you should REALLY see that video and read the other stuff on the blog Blue Anarchy Sea Collective I really enjoyed it!!

Gary, get real man. You can't show us one post that says "Hey, Blackoak, good job, you did this right from the start!" Everyone has encouraged him to learn, and get it right, and keep trying. Even HE has agreed he was stupid. And now he's learning and sailing and maybe even regretting it, we'll see! I think you're jealous I have met a few people that are just PISSED that I'm having fun, especially since I spend pennies to their thousands, and still enjoy the same water!

You who are discussing evolution/Intelligent design should be embarrassed that you are answering each other, and the mods should be embarrassed that they let you!
Old 31-12-2012, 06:16   #204
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthoennes View Post
One need only consider the structure and design of the human eyeball to conclude that evolution is the most ridiculous, illogical, absurd, counter-intuitive theory ever conceived by otherwise rational scientists in the modern age
For proof that the Theory of Evolution is correct all you need to do is pick up a rock, put it somewhere safe and after 7 days it evolves into a Monkey .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2012, 06:32   #205
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410

I want to play on this thread ............... what is the subject and rules?

so far I see: rocks, monkeys, 8-tracks, eyeballs
Old 31-12-2012, 06:37   #206
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
I want to play on this thread ............... what is the subject and rules?

so far I see: rocks, monkeys, 8-tracks, eyeballs
I think the door is open for you to suggest that OP evolve into buying a Hunter........
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2012, 06:46   #207

Boat: 1976 Cal 2-27

I get my binos from walmart or cabelas. $59 for Bushnell cheapo 16x50s. Now, you don't really want 16x50's on a small sailboat. Too much movement for too small a field of view. You will probably find 7x50's to be ideal for you. I like the 16-bys because I also take them with me on the ship. The first number is the approximate magnification. The second number is the diameter of the objective lens, and the bigger, the better. Don't settle for 40mm or less! And as a rule, the extra quality and features of expensive binoculars just don't make them worth 10x what a cheap pair costs. Anyway, I am surprised you didn't find any at walmart.

If you know of a good candidate for a "boat bunny" to keep you company and split the watches with you, that would probably be a good thing for you right now. It makes an anchorage a much nicer place to be. A "boat bunny" is sort of like a biker babe, but for boats. A really good one is marriage material for a hardcore sailor. A not-so-good one will still make good company if she doesn't whine or complain about stuff. If you can teach her the stuff you have learned and continue to teach her the stuff you haven't learned yet but will, you might be able to make the sailing thing a team effort.

I have issues with the compact size heads, too. Next time you are in West Marine, have a look at their heads. The "standard" size is still small, but sorta do-able. You still sort of have to push the dangley parts backward though, if contact with fiberglass or percelain creeps you out like it does me. Anyway, a manual Jabsco shouldn't cost you more than $250 or so and it is a nice upgrade that you will appreciate at least once a day.

By the way, the word "crapper" is not derived from "crap". It is the other way around. The term "crapper" comes from the name of a 19th century manufacturer of crappers, Thomas Crapper. He did not invent the crapper, or flush toilet, but he did much to popularize it. He died in 1910 but his company is still in business, and they are the go-to folks for antique looking crappers. Just to throw that in there.

A ukulele makes good company. The sound of a ukulele, even played badly, kinda puts a smile on your face and any others within earshot. It is easy to learn, and doesn't take up much room. Costs about half of what a comparable guitar costs. There are lots of sites where you can learn how to learn how to play a uke. Try The Voices Told Me! Ukulele Page. Other instruments work, too. A concertina, for instance. Bagpipes, but only if you are sailing alone! Same for fiddle. Beginner's screeches are hard on the ears of those forced to listen by proximity. Fishing can be good, too. Plus you get something to eat out of the deal, if you catch something other than hardheads and puffers. Don't eat them? Throw them back alive. Still fun to catch something even if it is something stupid enough to bite down on a hook tied to a line.

Keep posting on your progress. This is a good thread.
Old 31-12-2012, 06:48   #208
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
I think the door is open for you to suggest that OP evolve into buying a Hunter........

That is the highest level of evolution and I'm not sure they are ready to move up that far!
Old 31-12-2012, 06:54   #209
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Attempted Trip to Bermuda

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
AHAHAAHAHAHAAAA....

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2012, 08:31   #210

Boat: Seafarer 34 Sloop

Venice, Fl. Well this is IT folks. I have gone as far as I wish to go. Sorry to be a dissappointment to some, and a sigh of relief to others. To GaryMayo, please sir, try to understand this. I have been exceptionally careful every step of the way, with the exception of my first departure from St Marks, Fla. That was stupid, but ignorance is bliss. Since then I have learned alot from Captains Shelly, Fred, Bill, who are as well dissapointed that I have given up on this adventure. I have always, when I deemed it an uncomfortable situation entering a Marina, laid out and dropped an anchor, so as not to cause any undo problems with my inexperience of docking a boat, that would affect others. I have always anchored well away from other boats, to give myself a large margin for any possible error on my part. I may not be a good sailor, but I am at the forefront of everything I do with this sailboat is being CAREFUL. I wanted to dock in Sarasota at Marina Jacks, but because it was not comfortable for me to attempt an entry, I went on the hook well away from others, and dingied in. I wanted to dock at the Crows Nest here in Venice, but being it was in a busy channel, I tossed the hook in the mooring field just east of the Venice Yacht Club, 100 yards away from the other boats, dingied in with my bike onboard, and bicycled down to the Crows Nest, and scoped out the situation. I found it not to my liking, so stayed where I am presently located. A couple days ago, I had just come back from grocery shopping, and the weather was getting rainy and high winds. I rowed back to the boat, stowed my stuff, and was sitting down for lunch, when I felt a weird sensation of boat movement, and heard an unusual sound, went on deck, and saw that my plow anchor had given way, and I was sliding towards the seawall. I immediately fired up the motor, ran forward, pulled up the plow, ran back and went in reverse, then made a tight swing, and pointed out toward the channel. After I cleaned the crap outa my britches, I entered back into the mooring field and dropped the danforth. Good and solid now! The next morning I awoke with the strange sound of water lapping at my boat, weird I thought, never heard that before. Went above deck and found that the nightly winds had swung the boat, and when the tide went out, it left me in a shallow area, and the boat was gently heeled. I didnt panick, but did get in the dingy and looked around the boat. Fortunately, this mooring field had a soft sandy/mud bottom, so I was ok. I looked around at the other boats, and they were all heeled a little too, so I didnt feel so bad. I was VERY lucky to be back on the boat when the plow anchor lost its grip. The good Lord, takes care of us fools and our boats.
That incident caused me pause, about sailing. I found myself rethinking my steps along the way, and how much time I had spent on the boat so far, when I came to the realization, that this sailboat has become a prison. I have to be constantly involved with it as I make this journey. If its at a dock, I have to make sure the lines are adjusted to counter the tides, with some I have found has extremes, if I am at anchor, I have to remain close to make sure that the boat is not going to go on a sail of its own, or some lowlife comes along and relieves me of a wheel, dingy, or whatever else I may have on decks. Its requires constant attention, at ALL time when away from home in strange places. So I decided that this was enough. To some, sailing is great and they fit, to others like myself, its an uncomfortable fit, but ones never knows until one gives it a try and see if its a fit. Banging around a bay on a weekend sounds great to me, but this live-aboard destination sailing is not a fit for me and my experience level. SO I am tossing in the towel, and headed home. The boat is for sale with no reasonable offer refused, but consider it is fully stocked with 2 months of provisions, a 10ft Achilled inflatable dingy, a folding bike, inverter, yanmar diesel 18hp, depth finder, rainmarine auto-pilot, garmin gps, 2 new main sails, a very good 150% Jib, and a good spinniker with wisker pole. New lines, new sail slides, the wire main halyard has been replace with a rope one, one hellava heavey solid 34ft Seafarer with a modified full keel. Everything works on the boat. All it needs now is someone to take it on an ADVENTURE. Its full of fuel and 4 5gallon jerry cans full as well. IF ya wanna buy it CALL me, 901-336-0898. I will be moving the boat to MarineMax in Venice, Fla and putting it in wet storage, and will be talking to a broker in the morning, then packing up and headed back to landlocked Memphis.....till I get another wild hair!!!

Photos of the Sailling Vessel ANA http://s202.beta.photobucket.com/use...entures%202012

Tags
Bermuda, bermuda

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: