Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2014, 15:50   #31
cat herder, extreme blacksheep
 
zeehag's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: furycame alley , tropics, mexico for now
Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Posts: 17,779
Images: 56
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
Re: Anyone Else Tired of Winter?

we have wind and no sun today. it is a frigid 82f and we do not know what to do.
with some sun this might be a decent place to sail.......

our boredom comes in summer when furycames form just off this coast

shoulda sailed south when i suggested it, guys....
__________________

zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2014, 18:31   #32
Registered User
 
Jcolman's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Raleigh NC
Boat: C&C 30
Posts: 241
Re: Anyone Else Tired of Winter?

I've been chomping after the bit waiting for warmer weather so I can sail my new boat down from the Chesapeake to its new home in NC! I haven't even seen it since I bought it a month ago.
__________________

__________________
Jcolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2014, 18:35   #33
Don't ask if you can't handle it
 
sailorboy1's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: On the boat somewhere
Boat: Hunter 410
Posts: 12,334
Re: Anyone Else Tired of Winter?

I'm already tired of next winter!
__________________
jobless, houseless, clueless, living on a boat and cruising around somewhere
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 04:05   #34
Bailing as fast as I can.
 
GILow's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Boat: Swanson 42
Posts: 3,585
Re: Anyone Else Tired of Winter?

If it makes you feel better, and I am not trying to be a smartarse, we've had MULTIPLE instalments of up to five days in a row in the mid 40's here (Celsius) and that's not much good for sailing either, unless you have a boat with aircon, which we most certainly don't. I've taken to checking the boat at 6am before the sun comes up, it's too hot to think by 8am. I was actually drooling slightly when looking at those photos of snow.

Matt
__________________
GILow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 04:08   #35
Bailing as fast as I can.
 
GILow's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Boat: Swanson 42
Posts: 3,585
Re: Anyone Else Tired of Winter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcolman View Post
I've been chomping after the bit waiting for warmer weather so I can sail my new boat down from the Chesapeake to its new home in NC! I haven't even seen it since I bought it a month ago.
You have my total sympathy.

We had to wait nearly two months for the weather to be right before collecting our boat from 500 miles away after buying it. No fun at all.

Matt
__________________
GILow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 06:14   #36
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Montreal
Boat: C&C 25
Posts: 115
Re: Anyone Else Tired of Winter?

Well I live in Montreal its -8 right now which is one of the warmest days this winter. The last 2 months have been the coldest yet with temps in the -20s for daytime highs.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________
tightgroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 06:23   #37
Registered User
 
ontherocks83's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Massachusetts
Boat: Checkmate Strobe 201
Posts: 1,593
Re: Anyone Else Tired of Winter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tightgroup View Post
Well I live in Montreal its -8 right now which is one of the warmest days this winter. The last 2 months have been the coldest yet with temps in the -20s for daytime highs.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
I didn't even realize there was such a thing as summer in Montreal. I always thought you guys were in a perpetual state of ice and snow. Looks like you learn something everyday
__________________
-Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
-Molon Labe
ontherocks83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:06   #38
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Montreal
Boat: C&C 25
Posts: 115
Re: Anyone Else Tired of Winter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontherocks83 View Post
I didn't even realize there was such a thing as summer in Montreal. I always thought you guys were in a perpetual state of ice and snow. Looks like you learn something everyday

Yes, we are jut renovation our two story condo-igloo for rentals. We are offering a cool pleasant environment with ice pellet showers ( rejuvenating properties). The cold will shrink those wrinkles back 20 years !

Your own ice rink in the salon, and open refrigeration all through the complex. Just leave that pint laying around and you will have a cold one very soon.

Going for a steal of 3K per month (all inclusive, except for heat) call now!
__________________
tightgroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 09:25   #39
Registered User
 
DeepJoy's Avatar

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Toronto
Boat: 1979 Tanzer 8.5
Posts: 6
Re: Anyone Else Tired of Winter?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1391271862.057910.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	75081

I think this cartoon sums it all up!
__________________
DeepJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 09:45   #40
Registered User
 
bgallinger's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Jupiter, FL
Boat: Hunter 340
Posts: 350
Images: 10
Send a message via AIM to bgallinger
Re: Anyone Else Tired of Winter?

This is the coldest winter I can remember in 40 years. Wherever that global warming is, I want it and I want it now!
__________________
bgallinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 09:52   #41
Registered User
 
Mike OReilly's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Good question
Boat: Rafiki 37
Posts: 4,042
Re: Anyone Else Tired of Winter?

Hate to play one-upmanship, but up here on the North shore of Lake Superior we've actually broken records for temperature lows this winter. We've had sustained days of -42 Celcius, which for my American friends is about the same in Fahrenheit (-45F). And that's not including wind chill. Today actually feels balmy; it's -20 C right now (-4F).

The Big Lake is frozen as far as the eye can see. We've got at least four feet of snow everywhere, and my wood pile is dropping at a precipitous rate. Normally I like winter, but the sustained cold is dragging everyone down this year.

Maybe I'm just getting old, but yes, I'm tired...
__________________
Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG: www.helplink.com/CLAFC
Mike OReilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 10:09   #42
Moderator
 
carstenb's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Copenhagen
Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3
Posts: 4,942
Images: 1
Re: Anyone Else Tired of Winter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
If it makes you feel better, and I am not trying to be a smartarse, we've had MULTIPLE instalments of up to five days in a row in the mid 40's here (Celsius) and that's not much good for sailing either, unless you have a boat with aircon, which we most certainly don't. I've taken to checking the boat at 6am before the sun comes up, it's too hot to think by 8am. I was actually drooling slightly when looking at those photos of snow.

Matt
Hard to work up at lot of sympathy for this

Looking out my window, my boat is packed in ice
__________________
I spent most of my money on Booze, Broads and Boats. The rest I wasted - Elmore Leonard
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 10:13   #43
Senior Cruiser
 
klmmicro's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Encinitas, CA
Boat: Catalina 36, Mk I
Posts: 252
Images: 6
Re: Anyone Else Tired of Winter?

It hit 40F last night and I had to turn off the vent fan. I feel for all of you in colder climes.
__________________
klmmicro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 11:04   #44
Registered User

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Western Wisconsin
Boat: O’Day Daysailer II, 17'
Posts: 572
Re: Anyone Else Tired of Winter?

I tried to persuade my wife to head for San Francisco to visit son, wife and grandchild. We could pickup my brother’s camping trailer near Yosemite and stay at a RV park in Pacifica for a few months, but she wants to stay put here in Wisconsin. Our latitude is 45 degrees and lots of snow this winter with a really bad cold week recently. I asked an ER doc if he as seen much frostbite and he said no. I guess we know how to bundle up here. Maybe my wife did not want to go because I was thinking of taking the long way to California by way of the east coast looking at sailboats in the 25 to 27 foot range. My pickup will handle 10,000 pounds on the bumper hitch and since sailboats have to come out of the water here in the winter, maybe we could just head for warm weather next year. The problem is she gets seasick. I really am getting cabin fever though.
__________________
westwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 11:39   #45
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Montreal
Boat: C&C 25
Posts: 115
Re: Anyone Else Tired of Winter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Hate to play one-upmanship, but up here on the North shore of Lake Superior we've actually broken records for temperature lows this winter. We've had sustained days of -42 Celcius, which for my American friends is about the same in Fahrenheit (-45F). And that's not including wind chill. Today actually feels balmy; it's -20 C right now (-4F).

The Big Lake is frozen as far as the eye can see. We've got at least four feet of snow everywhere, and my wood pile is dropping at a precipitous rate. Normally I like winter, but the sustained cold is dragging everyone down this year.

Maybe I'm just getting old, but yes, I'm tired...
Ok I tip my hat to you. Even huge amounts alcohol will not appease such colds. At least there is no crime when its that cold
__________________

__________________
tightgroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 13:58.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.